Is Levis still an NFL draft pick or a Heisman candidate??

I get this argument and the NFL scouts look at many things that we as fans don't see. And I can't truthfully say I ever watched Josh Allen play in college (given that he played for Wyoming). But man, does Levis look bad at times! It's one thing to struggle against Tennessee or even Missouri, but Vanderbilt? Surely, Kentucky's offense isn't so bad that it's physically outmatched by Vanderbilt?!

That said, if Levis ends up being good in the NFL, it's probably a testament to how bad of an OC Rich Scangarello is. Feels like Kentucky's offense has regressed a lot under him. And maybe Levis would look a lot better if he were playing for an OC that was halfway decent.
I could see Will Levis being a 10+ year quarterback in the CFL but not in the NFL

I get this argument and the NFL scouts look at many things that we as fans don't see. And I can't truthfully say I ever watched Josh Allen play in college (given that he played for Wyoming). But man, does Levis look bad at times! It's one thing to struggle against Tennessee or even Missouri, but Vanderbilt? Surely, Kentucky's offense isn't so bad that it's physically outmatched by Vanderbilt?!

That said, if Levis ends up being good in the NFL, it's probably a testament to how bad of an OC Rich Scangarello is. Feels like Kentucky's offense has regressed a lot under him. And maybe Levis would look a lot better if he were playing for an OC that was halfway decent.
I did watch Allen play a little bit at Wyoming. His arm looked better in college than Levis's does, but I was right there with the "I don't understand the love for this guy" when he was in college.

Allen's college stats, especially when you consider the fact he was playing at a Mountain West school, were arguably less impressive than Levis's. Allen had a completion % 10 points lower than Levis with a very comparable TD/INT ratio. Allen was a little bit of a scrambler, which isn't really part of Levis's game, especially this year.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
My question has been if Levis is so great, why did he transfer to UK and Stoops? Neither are known for developing QBs.

Seems like a future first round QB transfer would have had interest from another school/coach with a better history of developing NFL QBs.
Why would Hooker transfer to play under Pruitt?

Reactions: 05_never_again
I could see someone taking him Day 2. Not sure how desperate you have to be to take him first over some of these other choices.

Stroud is good and has the body.
Young is just a gamer.
Hartman is a slightly worse Stroud.
Nix has finally started looking good.

I would think at least 3 of those 4 are taken before jeans gets picked up.

It was surprising at the time, but is even more shocking in hindsight now that we know how good he is.

From the sound of it, he was really frustrated how it ended for him at VT, there weren't a lot of programs falling over themselves to get him, and he remembered liking Tennessee on a visit he made during high school. Kind of sounds like he came here on a whim, honestly, especially considering the smoke about Pruitt was thick and his future here uncertain when he transferred.

It was surprising at the time, but is even more shocking in hindsight now that we know how good he is.

From the sound of it, he was really frustrated how it ended for him at VT, there weren't a lot of programs falling over themselves to get him, and he remembered liking Tennessee on a visit he made during high school. Kind of sounds like he came here on a whim, honestly, especially considering the smoke about Pruitt was thick and his future here uncertain when he transferred.
And the same thing could apply to Levis.

And the same thing could apply to Levis.
Minus the whole "the coach here might be fired and they might get nailed with sanctions" thing. Hooker really, really went out on a limb coming here. Kentucky wasn't coming off a good 2020 season but had good seasons in 2018 and 2019 and had stability on the coaching staff.

I don’t think there was a huge line for him and at the time, he was looking for a coach that would stick with him if he won the job. That was Pruitt 101 with JG.

I don’t think there was a huge line for him and at the time, he was looking for a coach that would stick with him if he won the job. That was Pruitt 101 with JG.
The funny thing is that if Pruitt hadn't gotten caught cheating, HH (assuming he won the job) could have been his Josh Dobbs and extended his tenure here by a couple of years.

HH wouldn't have gotten good coaching under Pruitt, and would never have been a prolific thrower anything like he's been under Heupel, but he would have extended plays and masked a lot of deficiencies in Pruitt/Chaney's offense, just like Dobbs did in Butch's offense.

The funny thing is that if Pruitt hadn't gotten caught cheating, HH (assuming he won the job) could have been his Josh Dobbs and extended his tenure here by a couple of years.

HH wouldn't have gotten good coaching under Pruitt, and would never have been a prolific thrower anything like he's been under Heupel, but he would have extended plays and masked a lot of deficiencies in Pruitt/Chaney's offense, just like Dobbs did in Butch's offense.
Ugggh…but true. Remember having no energy with the specter of Pruitt returning and cobbling together some mediocre OL coach to replace mediocre Friend and opening up the offense with second down screen passes. 😴

I don’t get the comparison to Josh Allen. His arm is not that strong and he sure as heck doesn’t have the pocket presence of Allen. Additionally, he can’t run like Allen.

To be fair he's been nursing a couple injuries for the last 2 months.

I did watch Allen play a little bit at Wyoming. His arm looked better in college than Levis's does, but I was right there with the "I don't understand the love for this guy" when he was in college.

Allen's college stats, especially when you consider the fact he was playing at a Mountain West school, were arguably less impressive than Levis's. Allen had a completion % 10 points lower than Levis with a very comparable TD/INT ratio. Allen was a little bit of a scrambler, which isn't really part of Levis's game, especially this year.
Levis is a scrambler. He was only being used in qb designed run plays at PSU. But he’s been hurt. I don’t think he’s that good, but I also didn’t think Josh Allen was very good.

Who has said Hooker is a guaranteed NFL first rounder maybe even the first pick?

My point was a future #1 NFL QB draft pick should have been able to find a better location than UK
Levis wasnt a first round draft pick coming into UK. He was a back up with little experience.

He needed exposure to have a shot at the NFL. Kentucky gave him that. A better school and he likely doesnt start. It's why he left Pedo State. It's not like the guy he lost to at Pedo State was a guarenteed first rounder either.

He clearly isnt a spread guy, so that also limited his options. Kentucky was ranked and had an opening, and played in the SEC.

If he doesn’t learn to avoid contact, he will have a very short NFL career, if….he has one period. I am not sold on his decision making or information processing.

According to a friend of mine who happens to be a Kentucky homer informed me that Levis will be a high 1st round pick. The explanation was that it was Kentucky's freshman and sophomore offensive line that made him look bad. Alrighty then...

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
According to a friend of mine who happens to be a Kentucky homer informed me that Levis will be a high 1st round pick. The explanation was that it was Kentucky's freshman and sophomore offensive line that made him look bad. Alrighty then...

He will be. Why? No idea it wouldn’t shock me if he isn’t the first QB taken.

That stupid stunt Levis pulled in the Tennessee game told me all I need to know about him. After throwing his 3rd pick and going to sideline he called the offense back on the field while they reviewed it and then looked befuddled when they didn’t overturn it. Then walked off the field looking like he didn’t know what was going on.

He knew Jay Graham from his high school recruiting days, UT was close to home so his parents could watch him play, and I think I have heard him say he knew a player or two on the team who liked it here. Chaney and Weinke also claim some credit…success has many fathers.

VN Store

Back