Is Ky really playing that well lately?

volfaninky

Just for fun let’s look at their last 6 games:

Auburn - won by 2 after being up 20+ in the second half. Auburn played without their best and only post player. Lost 3 of 6 since and unranked.

Miss St - lost 5 of last 8 and unranked.

Kansas - lost 4 of last 6 and played without thier best and only post player.

Vanderbilt - lost last 10.

Florida - lost 3 of last 4.

S Carolina - lost 4 of last 6.

They are getting better and more talented than anyone but they aren’t exactly doing amazing things against hot teams and fortunately they still have the worst game coach in Calipari.

Last edited:
To be fair, we haven’t exactly played a murderers row either the last few weeks, and most of the time they’ve really been stomping folks. But I see what you mean, the hype has probably surpassed the product at this point. Hopefully we’ll put an end to that (the hype) in 9 days!

Auburn - won by 2 after being up 20+ in the second half. Auburn played without their best and only post player. Lost 3 of 6 since and unranked.

Miss St - lost 4 of last 7 and unranked.

They are getting better and more talented than anyone but they aren’t exactly doing amazing things against hot teams and fortunately they still have the worst game coach in Calipari.
Kentucky annihilated USCe, Vandy, and Miss St, beat KU by 8 and beat Florida by 11, outscoring them by 22 in the 2nd half.

They have done exactly what they are supposed to do. Their 6 game resume looks better than ours, and they are 6-0. We struggled vs Bama and Vandy (a team UK beat by 35). No one is beating us up over that. Wins are wins in the SEC.

And Cal isn't nearly the worst floor coach in the game.

Judging by your handle, I'm guessing you are letting your KY hate cloud your better judgement on this one. They will give us all we want in Rupp. And if they somehow don't, I'll be completely shocked.

Also, and this might not matter at all, I’m a bit agitated that we suddenly play on a Wednesday before the Kentucky game. Gives them one more day to rest and prep, and they already have the home court advantage. They also have one more day off before we play them in Knoxville

Ky will have size advantage. Vols will have quickness advantage. Keys will be will Vols keep Ky off offensive glass and will they hit the 12-15 ft jumpers like they have in their better games. If so, I think Vols will win. If not, probably not.

Reactions: savannahfan
Also, and this might not matter at all, I’m a bit agitated that we suddenly play on a Wednesday before the Kentucky game. Gives them one more day to rest and prep, and they already have the home court advantage. They also have one more day off before we play them in Knoxville
I like playing on Wed. I always think Tuesday games are too quick of a turn around, and always think there's a big risk of a let down, or being "off" or not implementing full scouting report.

So I guess the question is, do you think the 2019 cats are better the 2018 version?

I like playing on Wed. I always think Tuesday games are too quick of a turn around, and always think there's a big risk of a let down, or being "off" or not implementing full scouting report.
Normally I’d agree with you, but this time I’d rather have more prep time for the wildcats

Reactions: savannahfan
They have played well lately. There is really not a lot of reasons to go with the "yeah but's". So I made it a point to watch a couple of their games lately.

To be honest South Carolina looked absolutely horrid in the 2nd half. They were throwing the same away just because. Completely dumb passes. Silva also barely played.

With Kansas, they were down their best player and the one intimidating big man on the team. If I recall another key player was out as well. Kansas doesn't even look like the same team.

The Vandy team they beat like a drum was just beaten like a drum the game before against Oklahoma.

They are a dangerous team and they will be a tough out especially in Lexington. As you may have noticed, I said say they will be an out. I expect the Vols to bring their A game.

1. KY beat Aub at Aub, KY shot 54% & 40%
2. KY beat a ranked MS ST team (and still a good Q1 win) by 21 points. While they only shot 44% they got 43 rebounds (15 of which were offensive), and they shot 50% from 3. KY had 16 turnovers and still beat a good team by 21.
3. Sure KU is a bit down right now.......but KY still beat them and KU is still highly ranked. KY held KU to 36%, While KY only shot 39% and 22% they still beat a good team by 8.........with D.......KY had 49 rebounds (with 17 O's), and 8 blocks.
4. Shouldn't even have mentioned the Vandy game.......KY beat Vandy at Vandy by 25..........shooting 55% & 59%. KY had no rebounding advantage, but only turned it over 7 times and shot lights out.
5. KY beat FL at FL by 11. KY shot poorly, and made turnovers........but their D won the game, holding FL to 34% & 26%.........and FL got 46 rebounds.
6. KY beat SC by 28 points........holding them to only 48 points. KY got 50 rebounds, including 21 offensive, and held SC to 36% and 29%.

Kentucky's O isn't real close to what Tennessee's is; however their D is better.......WAY better at their home, and Tennessee on the road. KY rebounds like crazy, and can make up for sometimes poor shooting with great offensive rebounding.

Tennessee has a team that can beat KY at home, on the road or anywhere in between...........but I would not try to discredit what KY has done over the past 9 games. Over those 9 games they have only given up more than 55 3 times, (74 A&M, 80 Aub, 63 KU)...........that is dominant D. They have also scored 69 or better in 7 out of those 9.

I'm hoping for a Tennessee win, and I know they can win; however they will have to be better on the boards and make good shots (keeping their % up........and the need for O rebounding low).

Reactions: RollerVol
"WMCOVOL"

I agree with you that Tennessee needs to keep KY off the boards. However KY will not see much of a height advantage. Their starting G's may have an inch or two on TN........however TN can bring in G height if needed (but that has not been a prob). Alexander will be the tallest and longest on the flour when he is in. KY will play with 2 6-7 to 6-8 forwards most of the game, their 6-10 guy gives them 14 mins per, and their 6-11 gives about 11.......they combine for 7 1/2 pts and 7 boards.

Tennessee big's gives them 13 pts, and 11 boards.....so that part should not be a prob..........while it may seem strange I see this game coming down to guard play........and of course if Tennessee plays good D, or at least decent D with some good O.[/QUOTE]

Kentucky actually has that one-day advantage for all of their Saturday SEC games except the first one when all teams began SEC play.
UK's lone SEC loss was the one time they had no rest/prep advantage.
They have the advantage eight times, and that includes both games vs Tennessee, both games vs Auburn, both games vs Florida, and their road game at Miss. State (and also their home game with Vandy).
So, basically, UK was given an advantage for what looked like their seven toughest games at the time the schedule was drawn up.
Perhaps they were given all-Tuesday games and no Wednesday games because Tuesday is considered a bigger time slot by the networks, but it's a wild coincidence for 100% of their opponents to play on Wednesday before playing UK on Saturday, especially considering that 4/7 of the midweek SEC games are always on Tuesday.

I don't think that one day is a huge advantage and in recent years, I think we've sometimes had that advantage over them, but if I were making the schedule and were trying to fix it to help someone, taking the extra day whenever it's available and simultaneously giving myself a consistent weekly routine is the first thing I'd do.

Coach Cal has them playing their best right now...of course, they haven't felt the wrath of the Vols yet...should be good...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

IMO in order to beat KY, we have to shoot 45% or better from the three, and Admiral and Grant must do a better job of boxing out their bigs. Boxing out seems to be a weakness some games.

I think it should be a heck of a game. Last year we won a squeaker at Lexington, and I'm sure we would take the same result next Saturday. I agree that rebounding and solid D would be key factors in a Vols win. One of my biggest fears is that we get Dukie V doing the game. That dude should be retired as his mouth never shuts up, and you can bet that he'll be rooting for his buddy Calipari.

The stat that scares me most is offensive rebounding. KY is #27 in the country in offensive rebounding and #7 in offensive rebounding percentage.

If we don't put a body on a man, they will eat us alive on the offensive boards and second chance points. That has to be a point of emphasis this week vs Florida and USCe as a lead up to UK.

Reactions: golfballs
The stat that scares me most is offensive rebounding. KY is #27 in the country in offensive rebounding and #7 in offensive rebounding percentage.

If we don't put a body on a man, they will eat us alive on the offensive boards and second chance points. That has to be a point of emphasis this week vs Florida and USCe as a lead up to UK.
I’ve basically resigned myself to believing they will likely kill us on the boards esp offensively, so we need to execute well on offense and get loose balls and hopefully some good bounces on D

Miss St - lost 5 of last 8 and unranked.

Don't kid yourself. Winning at Auburn is a good win reguardless of who was out of the lineup. If we are lucky enough to get out of there I think you will agree when the time comes.

I’ve basically resigned myself to bekieving they will likely kill us on the boards, so we need to execute well on offense and get loose balls and hopefully some good bounces on D
Yeah, this may be a game where we simply have to outscore them, offensively. Seems like an obvious statement on the surface, but what I mean is that I don't see us simply stifling then defensively in their house, and like you, I believe they will get second and third chances.

I think this might be a game that is decided behind the arc. Both teams can and will score in the paint. Which team can be most effective and efficient from outside may determine the outcome.

Either Fulkerson or Walker will have to step up and play well in this game. I don't exactly have glowing confidense in either. Most teams only have one, maybe two, post players that challenge you. Not Kentucky, they have several. We will have foul trouble in Rupp. You can guarantee it.

I can see a high scoring run the floor game, I can see a low scoring defensive game. Curious to see how UK's freshmen do under big game pressure. No one knows and only one thing is guaranteed, if UK loses Calaparie will throw his players under the bus.

Ky will have size advantage. Vols will have quickness advantage. Keys will be will Vols keep Ky off offensive glass and will they hit the 12-15 ft jumpers like they have in their better games. If so, I think Vols will win. If not, probably not.

I wonder if we really will be quicker....

VN Store

Back