Is Key hurt or out of shape

What is up with Striplin almost never seeing any playing time? You would think she could get on the court for a few minutes at least, to see what she can do.
I can only assume that what CKJH sees in practice doesn't warrant playing time for Striplin. If someone else has an idea, I'm all ears.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What is up with Striplin almost never seeing any playing time? You would think she could get on the court for a few minutes at least, to see what she can do.

I have missed seeing her as well. Last year, in SEC tournament, she gave them some good energy off the bench.

Really, I think the Lady Vols have more upside this year than the men's team. CKH was recruited in some tremendous depth. This is one of those rare teams where she can play a full court press for the entire game. They remind of Nolan Richardson's '40 minutes of heck' teams from back in the 1980's at Arkansas. She has multiple ball handlers. 3-poimt snipers. rebounders, open court create own shot girls, and rim protectors. Just roll out the ball and release the dogs of fury.

This is one of those rare teams where she can play a full court press for the entire game. They remind of Nolan Richardson's '40 minutes of heck' teams from back in the 1980's at Arkansas. She has multiple ball handlers. 3-poimt snipers. rebounders, open court create own shot girls, and rim protectors. Just roll out the ball and release the dogs of fury.

They don't have the athletes or speed to full court press for 40 minutes. I also think that they are not as deep a team as we originally thought they were. There are several players that just won't be in the rotation during tight games.

Even last year when Key was getting all the blocks, she was not the dominant player she needs to be. At her height she should be a major game changer on both ends of the court. This year she seems to have issues blocking out and moving to the basket as smaller players are driving in the paint. It it was ridiculous that she was being out rebound by smaller Indiana players. I personally agree that KJH needs to invest more time in Hollingshed to see if she can sure up the paint.

They don't have the athletes or speed to full court press for 40 minutes. I also think that they are not as deep a team as we originally thought they were. There are several players that just won't be in the rotation during tight games.

I'm counting 14 who can make a contribution. We have a wide mix of all kinds of talent. I will admit that it doesn't look like a pressing team. The trick is to have Key, Hollingsworth, Pissott in position to protect the rim.

The only way I know to utilize them all is hound the heck out of other teams.
Miles
Puckett
Jackson
Walker
Wynn
Striplen
Pissott
Franklin
Powell
Key
T. Darby
Horston
Suarez
Hollingshead

Or, try what CKH did need the end against Indiana. Have the quick group out there to press...(no clue why they fell back into a zone at 3 minutes). Then, have the larger group play more zone. Lot's of puzzle pieces to work with...strong talent level. Could be third in SEC if they can get it together.

Last edited:
Even last year when Key was getting all the blocks, she was not the dominant player she needs to be. At her height she should be a major game changer on both ends of the court. This year she seems to have issues blocking out and moving to the basket as smaller players are driving in the paint. It it was ridiculous that she was being out rebound by smaller Indiana players. I personally agree that KJH needs to invest more time in Hollingshed to see if she can sure up the paint.

After watching her for three years, we know her strengths and weaknesses. The second half of last year, we could not afford for her to get into foul trouble. But now, with Hollingshead and Pissott, we have 15 fouls to give from the center position. That should free Tamira up to be more aggressive on the blocks and do what she does best.

Reactions: lvocd
After watching her for three years, we know her strengths and weaknesses. The second half of last year, we could not afford for her to get into foul trouble. But now, with Hollingshead and Pissott, we have 15 fouls to give from the center position. That should free Tamira up to be more aggressive on the blocks and do what she does best.
So you would like for your best 3 point shooter to play C, where she didn't play even in HS and is not physically ready yet for the spot? Does anyone else here think that is going to happen?

So you would like for your best 3 point shooter to play C, where she didn't play even in HS and is not physically ready yet for the spot? Does anyone else here think that is going to happen?

Ok, that is a valid point. Forget that idea. Striplen can jump in there and add muscle if need be. Really, Hollinghead and Key can handle the center spot for 20 minutes each per game.

I do understand if Pissott needs a year to bulk up.

Not on your life, if TK is not aggressive or continues to play out of position, set her down and go with Hollingshed. Your five position needs to be one of your game changing positions. Leave your three shooter, and possible one of better shooters, where they are.

Most of this thread is a clown show. Tamari brings plenty to the table but we have a 3 page thread, people talking about her appearance, etc. The issue seems to be that because she's not what you're used to, that means she's lazy, unathletic, etc. Also, you never know what a person is going through. Y'all are probably the same folks that clowned Chris Lofton when he was sick. I don't think that's apples to apples but seriously, just chill

Here is a realistic assessment on Tamari:

She is the LV's all-time shot block leader (season and Career) and she was (1st or 2nd) in the nation last season and she had a pair of triple doubles last season (first in program history). So, she can contribute.

Her post game has improved quite a bit from her freshman season and she showed she can hit mid range shots, last season. Those skills have been lacking this season but we are very early.

People have perhaps had their perceptions skewed by the likes of the Candace Parker's and Aja Wilson's of this world who have the speed and quickness of a 5'6 guard in 6'5 bodies. TK is listed at 6'6 (probably taller) and she moves more like a typical post player. She is a bit slow of foot compared to smaller players and her reflexes are not the quickest. So, that does create some limitations,. she is not going to be a gazelle running up and down the floor (regardless of her eyelash length).

I think its clear that the coaching staff needs to play to her strengths (as they did last season) whereas this season, they have TK mostly playing at the high post. Sorry, a slowish, 6-6 player who is not a good outside shooter is not going to thrive in that role. It is not a matter of "heart" but the age-old problem of trying to force fit a square peg into a round hole. Kellie and staff need to make adjustments so that TK can succeed and I am sure that they will.

Last edited:
Here is a realistic assessment on Tamari:

She is the LV's all-time shot block leader (season and Career) and she was (1st or 2nd) in the nation last season and she had a pair of triple doubles last season (first in program history). So, she can contribute.

Her post game has improved quite a bit from her freshman season and she showed she can hit mid range shots, last season. Those skills have been lacking this season but we are very early.

People have perhaps had their perceptions skewed by the likes of the Candace Parker's and Aja Wilson's of this world who have the speed and quickness of a 5'6 guard in 6'5 bodies. TK is listed at 6'6 (probably taller) and she moves more like a typical post player. She is a bit slow of foot compared to smaller players and her reflexes are not the quickest. So, that does create some limitations,. she is not going to be a gazelle running up and down the floor (regardless of her eyelash length).

I think its clear that the coaching staff needs to play to her strengths (as they did last season) whereas this season, they have Her mostly playing at the high post. Sorry, a slowish, 6-6 player who is not a good outside shooter is not going to thrive in that role. It is not a matter of "heart" but theage-old problem of trying to force fitting a square peg into a round hole. Kellie and staff need to make adjustments so that TK can succeed and I am sure that they will.
Coaching, there you go. Do we have any?

Coaching, there you go. Do we have any?

No, I am just giving arm chair analysis. On the flipside, you can make a case for why Kellie and staff might have tried to make this work. Key at the high post opens up space for Horston and Jackson who are both slash and drive players. In fact you almost have to do that when you are playing those two together, along with Powell who is another ball dominant player. And it seems like she wanted to reward Jordan Walker for coming back and being a damn good soldier for the last two years (but she is very similar in style to Powell).

So, Kellie's big problem is that she wanted to have her four best players on the floor (and Walker however you may classify her). This is an understandable impulse so she had to figure out a scheme where they would not literally be colliding into each other.

Three games in, we can all see this experiment is not working so a line-up change is gonna come. I am guessing Justine's time is coming, Perhaps her concussion set her back or she is slow to learn the defensive schemes but I can't imagine that Kellie will let her best recruit ever play bench warmer much longer.

Last edited:
..... I am guessing Justine's time is coming, Perhaps her concussion set her back or she is slow to learn the defensive schemes but I can't imagine that Kellie will let her best recruit ever play bench warmer much longer.

I guess I will draw more ire but I don't think it would be in Justines best interests to take on a starting shooters role just yet. No doubt she can shoot but a lot of shooting is mental. It's easy to get in a prolonged funk (Jessie) and until this team settles down, we don't really know how things are going to play out. We don't want a shooter like Justine to start having confidence issues because of other things she has no control over. Tess can shoot. Sara can shoot. Jordan can shoot. I seem to remember Strip can shoot as well. I don't think we are shooter poor. While I would love to see Justine on the floor, it needs to be when she's ready and with everything on her plate right now, I just don't know if its the right time.

There, that should guarantee her a starting job now!

I guess I will draw more ire but I don't think it would be in Justines best interests to take on a starting shooters role just yet. No doubt she can shoot but a lot of shooting is mental. It's easy to get in a prolonged funk (Jessie) and until this team settles down, we don't really know how things are going to play out. We don't want a shooter like Justine to start having confidence issues because of other things she has no control over. Tess can shoot. Sara can shoot. Jordan can shoot. I seem to remember Strip can shoot as well. I don't think we are shooter poor. While I would love to see Justine on the floor, it needs to be when she's ready and with everything on her plate right now, I just don't know if its the right time.

There, that should guarantee her a starting job now!
Justine's ready
trust me,,,Justine's ready

No, I am just giving arm chair analysis. On the flipside, you can make a case for why Kellie and staff might have tried to make this work. Key at the high post opens up space for Horston and Jackson who are both slash and drive players. In fact you almost have to do that when you are playing those two together, along with Powell who is another ball dominant player. And it seems like she wanted to reward Jordan Walker for coming back and being a damn good soldier for the last two years (but she is very similar in style to Powell).

So, Kellie's big problem is that she wanted to have her four best players on the floor (and Walker however you may classify her). This is an understandable impulse so she had to figure out a scheme where they would not literally be colliding into each other.

Three games in, we can all see this experiment is not working so a line-up change is gonna come. I am guessing Justine's time is coming, Perhaps her concussion set her back or she is slow to learn the defensive schemes but I can't imagine that Kellie will let her best recruit ever play bench warmer much longer.

I think people forget Justine was the last player on campus this summer because she was with the USA basketball. Then she’s missed some additional practice time. In one of the interviews, Kellie talks about her and actual practice time she has gotten at this point. I agree that her time is coming soon but I’m glad Kellie didn’t throw her out there before she was ready.

Key sometimes plays small on offense, but its hard to stay engage sometimes when your not receiving the ball. I haven't liked her effort or intensity so far, this season. She needs to create an alter ego, like Beyonce has Sasha Fierce...where as she transform to a beast on the court, demanding, dominating... its her court and ya know you got to battle in the paint when you play the Lady Vols." KEYLICIOUS". Control the Key. You are a key to us winning, consistently.

Once our forwards and guards figure out how to play with Keylicious. Keylicious will be the player we all dreamed of her being, she seldom get touches the ball, it would help our offense, and it does not help develop her game, to help her work on her toughness with the ball, her strength with the ball, and her passing and decision making, cos she never touches the ball, she just plays defense, sorry for any player that gets boring asf, after three years, of hearing, we gonna get her the ball more. So every time she gets the basketball, her shots look rushed most of the time. When she doesn't touches the ball on offense, it hinders our flow, in tough games she needs more touches. Keylicious needs more touches. And maybe she's being a lil selfish with her effort and is sending a message to her team, get me the ball. They all need Keylicious for each one of them to be great, to get better, she needs them more tho.

Keylicious will be fine. Its a process. The new players need confidence in the system. Once the four Jordy, Tess, Rickea, Powell, learn how to play off each other, Key will get more touches. Jordy and Powell are good passers, and have been impressed with their lack of turnovers so far this year. Keylicious will be a force this year, I think Keylicious is a very athletic big, I think her build is awesome, she is very athletic center.

Once Keylicious' team figure out how to play with her and get her the ball at the right time, consistently. Its on. Its Lady Vols basketball. Keylicious you can also help create more shots for yo'self by getting on the offensive glass, and setting better screens, 6 to 8 touches, 4 to 6 Offensive rebounds a game you are a first team performer (10 to 14 shots per game if she don't get this many shots its gonna be tough to win championships ijs). Aye Keylicious, if they don't give you the ball, go get the ball yoself, that the attitude, and toughness is what the WNBA teams are lookin for, **** its what every one is looking for, if you play lower, you can dominate (power). I think Keylicious has one the most upside of any player in the nation. We can become a more consistent team, if Keylicious is more engaged.

See, the right attitude or mindset Keylicious, is since these ladies wont share the ball or pass me the ball, I'm gonna show them by getting the ball myself, by rebounding, getting on the glass and create my own shot, that's an All American's mentality. Keylicious, everyone sees your potential, hopefully the messages you received whether good or bad, show you people care about you and the program. Cos we all know, Keylicious if you control the glass, the paint on both ends of the court (floor), we control the game. We are a dominant team. Lady Vols Basketball.

Defense, rebounding and good guard play wins Championships.

Last edited:
1 for 6 from 3 this year. Obviously she needs to be on the floor at least 30 minutes per game.
when you're trying to crack the lineup, you have a different mindset than you do when you are in rotation.

She'll come around once she gets confident.
That's when you'll start seeing the Justine,,,my good buddy GT sees

I don't think the problem is solely Key being out of shape, because she was playing like that from the start of the game. It wasn't progressive fatigue. Somehow either the coaching staff or her teammates need to light a fire under her.
They have let her get away with half hearted effort for the blocks. One game last year she played in high gear and looked like all world. Its there…….someone needs to get it out of her and that would be HER. Maybe she’s just too nice.

Reactions: orange beard
Key had three blocks today, but she has again been a non factor offensively and on the boards. She has 4 points and 3 rebounds in 18 minutes today which is really poor for a player her size.

Key had three blocks today, but she has again been a non factor offensively and on the boards. She has 4 points and 3 rebounds in 18 minutes today which is really poor for a player her size.
I totally agree...for a preseason 2/3 team all-American, this is more than disappointing...She looks slower than last season and out of shape...this being her senior season, I was expecting much more...😒

VN Store

Back