The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

It all depends on our OL. We certainly have some decent skill guys around him
I don’t think JG would ever be a dynamic game changer but should be able to manage the game. I find it hard to believe that the Oline won’t take a big step.

fortunately, that hasn't been a problem for him so far. He hasn't turned the ball over very much at all.

True. We also tried too many low percentage downfield throws. The line no doubt has let him down, but his pre snap reads aren’t exactly great either.

Reactions: jpope9
Hehe, what do these guys possibly know? They also rate our 2 CBs pretty high as well. We'll see how it goes but all of you that love to eat crow are going to get plenty this year!
I'll gladly have a plate full if JG can lead us to 8 wins.

Every person on here should be rooting for him to succeed. Whatever his shortcomings may be, he is still the most game-ready qb we have. I'm certain there are things he would say he needs to do better. Recognizing his hot reads, getting his protection in the right position. I think Chaney is going to give him more latitude to set himself up for positive plays. It's impossible though, to say how much is on him and how much is on the OL. They both function together. So I think we could all afford to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially when you think back on how many times last year he got absolutely curb stomped, got up, dug the grass out of his face mask, and got ready to go again. You know he is graduating, but he isn't going to transfer to a better situation where his protection might be better. He is all Vol and we should be supportive of that.

It is also the position where a nuanced weakness of the QB himself can make everyone else look horrible. I think last year was an example of BOTH.

Why is it so difficult for some of you to acknowledge his share?

Nope sorry I strongly disagree. I have studied and watched way to much film of last year.

If he has longer than 0.05 seconds after the snap then I think he may. If not, then no.

@KBVol This mindset is what I was referencing in the other thread.

The misguided idea that's promoted on here, that JG doesn't really have any flaws or areas to work on that aren't directly caused by the performance of the offensive line.

@KBVol This mindset is what I was referencing in the other thread.

The misguided idea that's promoted on here, that JG doesn't really have any flaws or areas to work on that aren't directly caused by the performance of the offensive line.
Don’t worry everyone knows you hate the guy and take any opportunity to tear him down. I take it as you have a very crappy life and would like others to have your same fate

Don’t worry everyone knows you hate the guy and take any opportunity to tear him down don't believe that the offensive line is solely responsible for any and all of his shortcomings. I take it as you have a very crappy life and would like others to have your same fate

FYP champ.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

I think so. The numbers and data show how good he actually was with the bad situation around him. With improved coaching and support he will have a breakout year and lead us back to relevancy.

The "eyetest" and "feelings" guys won't like this.

Good grief... Even I think we've had enough threads exposing your creepy cult obsession...

He will do as well as the OL will allow him to do. Chaney done well in his one year with Crompton, he could do the same with JG
The OL will do as well as JG allows them to do. Chaney did well with an even worse OL in 2009.

Both JG and the OL contributed to the problem. It isn't just one or the other.

Do you guys remember how bad everyone said Ainge was before Cutcliff came back? What about the QB battle that Crompton won? Do you guys remember how everyone was negative toward him but yet he performed stellar? Amazing what a competent coach can do for a kid.
Cut couldn't stand Crompton. Not sure why. Chaney helped salvage Crompton for sure... and with an awful OL and one credible RB at that.

Nope sorry I strongly disagree. I have studied and watched way to much film of last year.
You can disagree all you like. It won't change the fact that he didn't recognize pressure or coverages consistently pre-snap. He didn't anticipate openings in the D well pre or post snap. It took him too long to process information after the snap causing him to be a half count late on throws that required him to lead the receiver or throw to a spot.

It is difficult to know who is at fault when... but there are times when he doesn't manage the pocket well. If you're an OT and the QB at the right moment takes that half shuffle step up into the pocket... it can make the difference in a guy beating you or giving you the leverage to beat him.

Two consecutive staffs have pretty much said that they limited the passing O to what the OL and JG could handle. Not just one. Both. You can't always throw those long developing patterns that JG tends to do better. No OL can do that without changing it up with effective quick passes and hot reads. There are things JG could not do like hitting the quick stuff or throwing to soft spots in the D that help an OL... A LOT. Most of the deep stuff was to the outside. That's safe because it limits what JG has to see and takes advantage of his very good ability to make those throws. They threw a lot of short stuff and one option patterns. They didn't let him throw hot reads. They didn't let him use the middle of the field often and especially short and medium crossing patterns and curls... stuff that makes LB's stay home.

JG's slow decision making was a MAJOR factor. OL's getting physically manhandled or just whiffing assignments was a MAJOR factor.

You don't have to believe me. Earlier in the year, JG happily said that Chaney was going to let him do more... specifically mentioning hot reads. Chaney through the O&W game announcers said that speeding him up was a major objective. Pruitt punctuated that by being highly perturbed at the half when JG reverted to his old ways... before coming out and looking much better in the 2nd half.

I think so. The numbers and data show how good he actually was with the bad situation around him. With improved coaching and support he will have a breakout year and lead us back to relevancy.

The "eyetest" and "feelings" guys won't like this.

He is......enough said.

VN Store

Back