Is Guarantano the final nail in the coffin for Tennessee football?

People? Don't you mean Phil-o-Potamus?
Yes, but more than just him. Others are giving ole Phil a bargain-basement budget. Those people need to go too. This tactic of hiring on the cheap, followed by buy-outs after it doesn't work is more costly than just hiring the right person in the beginning. Plus, they will eventually alienate the fan base by marching out an inferior product year after year.

That’s where covid actually came into play. HB was there in the spring, but no spring practice and fall camp was impacted as well.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just saying his potential practice time was impacted.

How long did contact tracing stop Bailey from practicing.? The biggest issue with HB was that Pruitt intentionally did not give him practice time because he assumed he wasn’t worth the resources after a preliminary 10 snap initial session.

There is another answer that MANY coaches have used....the freaking TRANSFER PORTAL. Pruitt could easily have gotten a serviceable QB on the team to get us through this season, giving Bailey time to develop (though with Weinke, that is in ???) This isn't that hard. Not sure if Slingblade is too lazy, stupid, or stubborn, but he has made no efforts there. Other 1st year HCs and other coaches with QB issues seem to use this route with success. It remains a mystery with Slingblade Skoalcan.

You wouldn't know it by his stats, but you are exactly right. He has an incredible knack of doing what it takes to lose ball games. Sad part is, the coaching staff believes we should continue to put our faith in JG, when it is clear he is not capable.
I would love to know how many plays he has been involved in that have resulted in touchdowns for the defense via interception or QB fumbling.

Has to be atleast 10

I have seen better QB play on Friday nights this season than what UT trots out in JG.

I truly don’t know how much it is Weinke, Jim the buffet buster, JG, or CJP. I’m sure it’s a percentage of all of them. I just have no clue how to weight the blame.
I have seen much better coached teams on Friday nights who make halftime adjustments and actually enjoy playing the game.

That’s where covid actually came into play. HB was there in the spring, but no spring practice and fall camp was impacted as well.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just saying his potential practice time was impacted.

So what. We’re losing. No excuses. Always try your best to win. Always!!!!!

Let's stop this myth. It's pithy, but it's completely inaccurate.

Butch got fired because terrible recruiting in his late years, terrible player development, and destroying the S&C program. JG was a backup QB who played in a few games in '17 where he basically didn't have an O-line.

If Pruitt gets fired, it will be because of sticking with JG too long, though. The sooner Pruitt starts Bailey (or even Maurer), the better the chances that he survives.

I am not sure Pruitt did this years team any favors going with an unproven S&C guy either.

Sure he was promoted from within but, as Pruitt shows, being the head guy is a lot different than being an assistant.

Reactions: mercuryvol
I honestly made my decision on where to go to college in large part due to the football team and being connected to a school I can proudly support and donate to...and now, I don’t think I’ll ever see them win anything ever in football.

On the bright side, your kids probably won’t make the same mistake of choosing colleges based on sports they don’t play.

There's always room in the coffin lid for more nails. It doesn't work that way.

All UT needs to do is make the right hire like Freeze or somebody similar and things can get flipped pretty quick here. But can they do that ? I’m not convinced

But it was impacted more by Pruitt. He even said he did not have time to spend with Bailey. Ut is not the only team that was impacted by covid. There were things that could have been done to get him ready, even with Covid. Videos, virtual learning. Then bring to the field what he learned in all of this. But with this said Bailey with very limited practice already looks better than jg. Pruitt even said himself this week, Bailey knows the playbook, he just needs opportunity. Well who can give him that opportunity?

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Agreed. I recall reading that the problems FSU was facing were very similar to the internals at UT. The brand alone can't carry you any longer. Look at MI. 3 very good coaches in a row and it is still a dumpster fire (yes I know Hoke wasn't a hof coach but he isn't CJP either). The issue is bigger than just a coach.

I disagree, I feel in our situation now, its all on the coach. We have good enough players to compete, minus the qb Pruitt keeps running out on the field. The only qb I know of imo, that is going to cause two coaches to get fired.

Reactions: WhenUrVolUrVFL
There is another answer that MANY coaches have used....the freaking TRANSFER PORTAL. Pruitt could easily have gotten a serviceable QB on the team to get us through this season, giving Bailey time to develop (though with Weinke, that is in ???) This isn't that hard. Not sure if Slingblade is too lazy, stupid, or stubborn, but he has made no efforts there. Other 1st year HCs and other coaches with QB issues seem to use this route with success. It remains a mystery with Slingblade Skoalcan.

We have a good qb on the roster, maybe two, they just don't play, they ride the pine.

Reactions: WhenUrVolUrVFL
I reckon he aims to kill UT football

Reactions: VolInNW

VN Store

Back