Is Guarantano the final nail in the coffin for Tennessee football?

A capable QB will fix a lot of what ails the Vols right now...... while this year has been a total **** show.... all you have to do is think of the worst **** you’ve seen .....
That is what bothers me so much. We didn’t need HB to be ready at T Lawrence level. We just needed HB to be competent and better than JG. I know he would of been capable early on this season if he had just been given adequate practice time before the season started.

That is what bothers me so much. We didn’t need HB to be ready at T Lawrence level. We just needed HB to be competent and better than JG. I know he would of been capable early on this season if he had just been given adequate practice time before the season started.
That’s where covid actually came into play. HB was there in the spring, but no spring practice and fall camp was impacted as well.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just saying his potential practice time was impacted.

He may not be the nail but there is no denying he is easily the worst QB in Tennessee history. Everyone can pick a QB’s single performance as worst “single game QB” in Tennessee history but the fact JG has played in 40+ games and his record is sub .500 and career average is under 200 yards a game is amazing. The guy hasn’t done anything significantly successful over the course of his career here.

THIS!!!!

There's still a handful of posters that believe he's a good QB.

Those you speak of are noticeably absent from posting. Every now and then they'll pop their head up like a little mouse when they think they won't be devoured by a cat.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
In my sports fan history dating 50 years, my favorite teams have won championships about 5 or 6 times. That averages out to be about once every 10 years. I’m grateful for each and every one of them. It’s the possibility of winning one that keeps me interested. I was still fully invested in UT coming into 2020. It’s been the toughest and most frustrating year I have ever been involved in as a fan, mainly because the fix for UT football this year was so easy and in my opinion completely ignored by our HC.

At least one of the more obvious fixes even if there is more than one thing that needs repaired.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I’ve mentioned it before and I’m sticking with it, the whole demeanor of the team will change with someone else behind center. This team has no faith in JG and they’ve laid down on Pruitt because of his dumb decision to keep the guy in.

Agreed. They may say the right things in the pressers, but you can just see the deflation. After watching football over the years, the difference between successful and not successful head coaches is very simple. Good ones don't deflate their team again and again, they realize change is needed and do so. Whether that is as simple as the QB, or another position, a coach, play calling, whatever, they don't let things sink the boat. The bad ones continue to think their way is the right way and continue paddling for shore as boat sinks to the bottom.

That’s where covid actually came into play. HB was there in the spring, but no spring practice and fall camp was impacted as well.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just saying his potential practice time was impacted.
How long did contact tracing stop Bailey from practicing.? The biggest issue with HB was that Pruitt intentionally did not give him practice time because he assumed he wasn’t worth the resources after a preliminary 10 snap initial session.

Phone rings in Pruitt's office....

Pruitt : Hello this is Jeremy.
Fulmer : Jeremy its Phil. Do you have a minute?
Pruitt : Phil who?
Fulmer : Fulmer. Your AD. You know the one who made you a millionaire.
Pruitt: Uhhhhh. Oh yeah.. OK.
Fulmer : I've decided to give you a contract extension and a raise even though there's absolutely no reason for it.
Pruitt: (Laughing) OK....who is this really? Butch is that you? You had me going there for a minute.....how's Nick doing? He still like 2 creams and 1 sugar in his coffee?

Last edited:
How long did contact tracing stop Bailey from practicing.? The biggest issue with HB was that Pruitt intentionally did not give him practice time because he assumed he wasn’t worth the resources after a preliminary 10 snap initial session.
That’s a possibility too.... I think Pruitt thought he could build off of last year’s momentum but it blew up in his face in the first quarter of the KY game and he refused to adapt

Continuing to allow a stubborn, poorly qualified former football coach and overbearing boosters to run our athletic departments and make personnel decisions... That will be the nail in the coffin.

JG has killed two head coaches...Well one is on life support but the plug is about to get pulled soon....He's a coach killer.

Let's stop this myth. It's pithy, but it's completely inaccurate.

Butch got fired because terrible recruiting in his late years, terrible player development, and destroying the S&C program. JG was a backup QB who played in a few games in '17 where he basically didn't have an O-line.

If Pruitt gets fired, it will be because of sticking with JG too long, though. The sooner Pruitt starts Bailey (or even Maurer), the better the chances that he survives.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
Let's stop this myth. It's pithy, but it's completely inaccurate.

Butch got fired because terrible recruiting in his late years, terrible player development, and destroying the S&C program. JG was a backup QB who played in a few games in '17 where he basically didn't have an O-line.

If Pruitt gets fired, it will be because of sticking with JG too long, though. The sooner Pruitt starts Bailey (or even Maurer), the better the chances that he survives.
No he won't...Wanna know why?...Because he has no clue how to develop players...That team looks completely lost out there...Saying the worst QB in the SEC is our best chance of winning solidifies my point.

He may not be the nail but there is no denying he is easily the worst QB in Tennessee history. Everyone can pick a QB’s single performance as worst “single game QB” in Tennessee history but the fact JG has played in 40+ games and his record is sub .500 and career average is under 200 yards a game is amazing. The guy hasn’t done anything significantly successful over the course of his career here.

You wouldn't know it by his stats, but you are exactly right. He has an incredible knack of doing what it takes to lose ball games. Sad part is, the coaching staff believes we should continue to put our faith in JG, when it is clear he is not capable.

I have seen better QB play on Friday nights this season than what UT trots out in JG.

I truly don’t know how much it is Weinke, Jim the buffet buster, JG, or CJP. I’m sure it’s a percentage of all of them. I just have no clue how to weight the blame.

Reactions: Mightyvol
If I remember correctly, HB had to go through quarantine twice for contact tracing, so he really didn't get any practice time in the fall.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Are you now saying you wished you went to Bama or Florida or Georgia. If so then you get no sympathy from me.

A capable QB will fix a lot of what ails the Vols right now...... while this year has been a total **** show.... all you have to do is think of the worst **** you’ve seen .....
Well, I'm a combat veteran, so.........
But this still sucks.

We have been a doormat for over a decade. That’s almost 10% of the time Tennessee has been a football program....

I don’t want to be such a negative ****, but after seeing our administration do stupid things like give Pruitt an extension. Before the season started, I’m convinced there’s way more problems here than most realize.

Agreed. I recall reading that the problems FSU was facing were very similar to the internals at UT. The brand alone can't carry you any longer. Look at MI. 3 very good coaches in a row and it is still a dumpster fire (yes I know Hoke wasn't a hof coach but he isn't CJP either). The issue is bigger than just a coach.

VN Store

Back