Is Emily going to be redshirted

Chitownvol1129

Emily redshirt was talk second half of season, I believe she never played past cutoff time. Are we seeking a redshirt for her? Seems like a smart idea, spread her height and Key out a years. We don't have anything close to her size coming in this year.

Emily redshirt was talk second half of season, I believe she never played past cutoff time. Are we seeking a redshirt for her? Seems like a smart idea, spread her height and Key out a years. We don't have anything close to her size coming in this year.
She can’t get a non-medical redshirt. You can’t play in any games to qualify.

For a medical redshirt, you can’t play more than 30% of the games played and none in the second half of the season.

Saunders played in 10 games and her last game was 1/16. Tennessee played 31 games. That’s 32% of the games.

As best asnI can figure,she does not qualify for a redshirt.

Reactions: Chitownvol1129
She could be redshirted this season if she is not where the staff thinks she should be. With KK, Key and Green that could be a possibility although I don't really see it happening. I think she will get some minutes behind Key at the five and Green and KK will split the four and KK also playing at the five some. I find no reason to believe she hasn't progressed in the off season and will continue to do so during the coming months.

The girl has got to play.....Coach her up and get her some minutes.
277879_20191229_WB_Howard_KL_041.jpg

She can’t get a non-medical redshirt. You can’t play in any games to qualify.

For a medical redshirt, you can’t play more than 30% of the games played and none in the second half of the season.

Saunders played in 10 games and her last game was 1/16. Tennessee played 31 games. That’s 32% of the games.

As best asnIcan figure,she does not qualify for a redshirt.

Assuming your data is correct, “To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.”

So, 30% of 31 is 9.3. By the rule wuoted it is rounded up so she could therefore play in 10 games.

Note, per rules can’t play in second half of season; I think she did not play in second half.

@madtownvol or any other, do you have knowledge/input on rules?

Assuming your data is correct, “To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.”

So, 30% of 31 is 9.3. By the rule wuoted it is rounded up so she could therefore play in 10 games.

Note, per rules can’t play in second half of season; I think she did not play in second half.

I think the issue is that she wasn't injured. I don't think she can sit on the end of the bench in game clothes but not get in...and still qualify for a medical redshirt.

I think the issue is that she wasn't injured. I don't think she can sit on the end of the bench in game clothes but not get in...and still qualify for a medical redshirt.

I do hoe that girl rises up and shows something this next year....You can tell she has a warrior's spirit, but she just hasn't yet shown a warrior's presence...I truly hope she stands out this year in the right way

I do hoe that girl rises up and shows something this next year....You can tell she has a warrior's spirit, but she just hasn't yet shown a warrior's presence...I truly hope she stands out this year in the right way
The good thing is that they have the luxury of letting Emily develop for another year as long as Key, KK and McCoy are healthy. They have a deep frontcourt rotation. Emily will be more important her junior year, and she will have had two years worth of conditioning and reps to be a reliable backup for Key once the two seniors graduate next after next season.

The quote was related to qualifying for a medical redshirt; obviously to qualify for a medical red shirt there must be an approved medical condition. No one knows if she is sick, injured, or healthy except herself, her doctors, maybe her family, maybe her coaches, etc. etc. etc.

The discussion was as to playing time/per cent of games necessary to qualify for a medical redshirt. Not as to if she was injured or to any other topic, just would she qualify for a medical redshirt based on the criterion of games played. That was the issue addressed. Nothing else.

Reading the regs, it sounds like she would be eligible as to the games played. She had 10 games to play; she played in 10 games. 30% of 31=9.3 games; games played round up - even if 0.1; she could play in 10 or fewer games and meet that specific criterion to medically redshirt.

Hope that clarifies the topic addressed.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I have had trouble getting clarity on redshirt rules. They seem to be different for D1 football, where a player can actually play the first 4 games and still redshirt, and other sports where you can't play a game.

On medical redshirts, I am confused. The team can't apply for one after the fact. So, Emily's freshman year is burned and she has three remaining years. The team could redshirt her for next season just as any player could be redshirted before a season starts.

But, why?

Not sure why this topic is even in play

I have had trouble getting clarity on redshirt rules. They seem to be different for D1 football, where a player can actually play the first 4 games and still redshirt, and other sports where you can't play a game.

On medical redshirts, I am confused. The team can't apply for one after the fact. So, Emily's freshman year is burned and she has three remaining years. The team could redshirt her for next season just as any player could be redshirted before a season starts.

But, why?

ok..

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

But, why?

You can apply for a medical hardship waiver (commonly known as a medical redshirt) after the season. But you have to present documentation to the NCAA that says a player COULD NOT participate due to an injury. A player practicing daily and being in uniform for games does not typically meet that standard.

Reactions: madtownvol
WTF .....Free Emily .
Remember Nia.
Remember Kamela.
No player should ride the bench on a team that WILL NOT be in the Final Four.
Free Emily.
Red shirt yourself as a fan for one year, Sapp.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
What kind of thread is this.?
Listen, every game I witness Emily play, she was good to me and I wanted more , then she stop coming like my food stamps and that pissed me the prophet off.
Seriously, if you cant develop her as the five then please call my main man Dean, he knows what to do with Emily.

Free Emily . Jail KK.

Who started this thread? Why disrespect this player ?
Medical hardship should be administered to posters on this board.

Your disrespect meter may be tweaked a tad high. Speculation about this or any player's future role seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I'm actually impressed anyone remembers what kind of player she was/is. She played so little and so long ago against such inconsequential competition that I honestly have no concept of her ability. I was surprised she never got an opportunity later in the season, especially in light of our less than stellar post play most of the time.

All I have to go on is KJH obvious opinion from practice, etc, that she should not play. Or as we always allowed, there might be another reason we are unaware of. Hopefully, as we wish for all the players, she'll improve and play an important role in the future. No disrespect at all.

Reactions: Smallvol#1

This was my thinking. I wasn't talking about coming up season, I was referring to her not playing at all after early games, and there was lots of rumours, Kellie, was going to red shirt her for last season, keeping her with 4 yrs eligability. As for games, if she missed by 1, and tournaments were cancelled, I think that wouldnt be an issue, we had 2 games more to play, at least.

I did, no disrespect was intended, and frankly have no idea how you even thought that. Emily was highly effective for mins played, then she never played again. Mickey Dearstone, and several on board , pointed out redshirt, which makes since, save a year of eligibility, spread out height among classes. Otherwise, why didn't she play last 2/3 of yr, it wasn't done because she wasn't productive on court.

Listen, every game I witness Emily play, she was good to me and I wanted more , then she stop coming like my food stamps and that pissed me the prophet off.
Seriously, if you cant develop her as the five then please call my main man Dean, he knows what to do with Emily.
Can you read? No negitive comment was made about her, she sat 2/3 of season after always being productive on court , so the reason seems saving eligibilty to redshirt her for LAST YEAR, allowing her 4 yrs to play

Free Emily . Jail KK.

You can apply for a medical hardship waiver (commonly known as a medical redshirt) after the season. But you have to present documentation to the NCAA that says a player COULD NOT participate due to an injury. A player practicing daily and being in uniform for games does not typically meet that standard.
Really so Zay Green in uniform, practicing last month of season huh? Happens all the time, more so on football, but same redshirt rules apply

Free Emily . Jail KK.
KK actually started playing to her potential at the end of the season
it was consistency that plagued her and I hope she can solve that this year.
If so, she is very effective
I don't blame her too much though, she was under the CHW regime where all of the players seemingly had permission to disappear at random times

I don't think Coach K will put up with that though

Jalen Hurt as back up for Tua QB bama, could have played in so many games, andcwas cheered when he played past redshirt, injury or not, you can redshirt, done all the time in football, abd Emily may have had an injury we don't know sbout, but, for some reason, that had zero to do with productivity per minutes, she didn't play second half of season. This was discussed a lot of this forum, now know one seems to remember it from almost every game thread. I am not asking about coming season, talking about redshirt for last season, which it seems Ole Miss Game, she didnt pkay because redshirt was in mind of coach.

VN Store

Back