Is Barnes the Best Coach in CB right now?

NO, and it's not a knock on him or what he's done with this team. But until he wins when it matters, it will always be a detractor.
We had absolutely no business losing to Loyola-Chicago. It's fair to say that this team has something to prove in March and so does Barnes... but for the time being? They are the #1 team in the country and deservedly so.

Tony Bennett has won 3 out of the last 5 ACC Championships, without a doubt the toughest basketball conference. In the last 10 years he has gone to the (1) Sweet 16 at Washington State (first tourney berth since 1994) and (1) Sweet 16 and (1) Elite 8 at UVA after inheriting a 10-18 team. His team is currently #4 with the only loss to #1 Duke by 2.

Mic Cronin hasn't missed an NCAA tournament in 8 years and has 1 Sweet 16 in that span, after inheriting a program in utter disarray (Google Bob Huggins firing 2005).

But please, tell me more about what a bad situation Barnes inherited compared to other coaches with more wins and deep runs in the tournament over the last 10 years.

Barnes record is more akin to Tubby Smith's -very successful at a Tier 1 school 12-20 years ago and not so much since then. It's easier to call someone foolish than it is to, oh, I don't know pull up this thing called Wikipedia or Google, compare the coaches records, and determine whether coach A is in the same class as coaches B, C, D, etc.

Foolish. Rick Barnes has been to 23 NCAAT in 31 years at 4 different schools. One of those years he did not was at George Mason. He took Clemson 3 out of 4 years and one S16. Clemson has only been to 5 total since he left 20 years ago and last year was their first S16 since Barnes.

He doubled the number of NCAAT appearances at Texas. He went 16 of 17 years. That includes 1FF, 2EE’s, and 2S16’s, yet you are comparing him to coaches who have never been to a FF or even an EE.

I don’t need to do any more Googling to use common sense. Barnes inherited a mess at UT, and I am sorry you don’t get it. He had to completely overhaul the roster and yet, he still has a winning record against the great John Calipari since coming to UT.

Nonsense. You are right about coaches not being in the same class. Cronin, Davis, and arguably Bennet (yet) aren’t in the same class as Rick Barnes. He has a much better resume.

Last edited:
Not salty. Just realistic. Rick Barnes has won 4 NCAA tournament games in the last decade. All the coaches the OP was comparing him to have National Titles, Final Fours, Conference titles on their resumes in the same span. Some have multiples of these. K, Roy, Wright have multiple Nattys. Cal, Self, Izzo have multiple FFs. The additional one's I added (Bennett, Cronin, Millers) all have more tourney wins and in most cases deep runs in the tourney. Facts are facts. Opinions shaped in Orange colored glasses are silly.

Facts are facts.

VN Store

Back