Interesting that Hendon Hooker was recruited by Heupel at Missouri

Maybe this will fall on deaf ears because “I” said it but this “injury prone” feeling a lot of people have concerning Maurer I feel is unwarranted and here’s why. He didn’t get “injured” vs UGA and was available to finish the game but Pruitt wanted JG. He wasn’t injured by a hit he “took” vs Miss St. He simply landed wrong (On his head) on his own doing. He didn’t get “injured” vs Bama. He just came back too soon. He wasn’t injured vs UK. And He wasn’t injured at all last year outside of the hammy pull in fall camp which was blown out of proportion.

He took quite the shot vs Alabama this past season and got right up and patted the DB on the helmet. Yes he turned his ankle vs Vanderbilt but have you ever did the rubber band trick? You can take a 3 in rubber band at room temp and stretch it 8 inches. Put that same rubber band in the freezer for an hour and it only stretches 4 inches before breaking. Muscles work the same way. Throw a player in cold and you’re asking for problems. That was coaching, not him.
I’m all for dumping on the previous staff, but did just blame coaching for the weather???

I’m all for dumping on the previous staff, but did just blame coaching for the weather???
No. I don’t blame the previous “staff”. I blame one man and that’s the one that made the decisions for everything. Think back to 2019, 2020. Did anyone ever see BM taking warm up passes before being thrown in at the drop of a hat? You CANT do that! Muscles get cold, they get tight. When they get tight your body can’t bend, stretch. Pruitt NEVER put him in ANY situations to succeed at any point.

Reactions: LittleVol
I still think Mauer is going to surprise some folks playing in this system... either way... it's good to have options!!
I like the kid a lot. But he's not going to contribute in this system anymore than the last. Just seems too panicked and indecisive along with poor accuracy. Would love to see him win the job, but I'm counting on Bailey or Salter to be the guy.

If Maurer could stay healthy he would do great things. He is an excellent athlete and good QB. But he is made of porcelain and every time he takes a hit you hold your breath he don’t get hurt.
Used to take too many hard, unnecessary in the long run, hits, iirc.

Can't fault his moxey but he ain't Tee Martin...come at me. 😎😆

I like the kid a lot. But he's not going to contribute in this system anymore than the last. Just seems too panicked and indecisive along with poor accuracy. Would love to see him win the job, but I'm counting on Bailey or Salter to be the guy.
Not trying to take a shot at you but you gotta understand that the “panicked” and “indecisive” narrative originated from one game (Arkansas). He was once again thrown in cold against a team that had already adjusted to a game plan that didn’t include a passing attack. At the time Maurer was sent in ( a little into the third quarter) the play calls were 35 runs to only 5 passes. He was facing a 0 blitz as a result with no practice, no warm up and less than 48 hours after two family members died suddenly.

UCF recruited Maurer while Heupel was HC.

I trust what they said about an open competition. It will be based on attributes that the previous staff didn't emphasize... which is why JG kept the job. They said the guy who wins out will make good, timely decisions and then deliver the ball on target. They make the QB much more responsible for decision making and directing the O than any of the previous staffs. You can't run as fast as they want to run and "check with me" on every play for adjustments or play changes.

I don't know who that favors.... because Maurer and Bailey weren't required to do it, Salter is brand new and Hooker hasn't been in this specific system.

If I were a betting man... I'd say Hooker has an advantage leading in. He has played more and played in a much more similar O. Based on what we've seen of them as Vols, Maurer is much more athletic than Bailey and has a better arm. Bailey may have an accuracy advantage which is pretty big and appeared to be decisive in a good way. Maurer looked better from a decision making standpoint as a Fr than as a Soph. No real idea what that might mean- just an observation.

Maurer and Hooker have both been sidelined by injuries. If one or both are injury prone... that becomes important.

For those vested in one QB or the other... this is going to be torture. For those of us who just want to see good QB play at UT... it is going to be fun.
Maurer and Hooker should stay away from each other pending the investigation!

Reactions: Ratvol
I guess I need you to define "horrible". I watched some games. He looked good. He wasn't as fast as I expected but was a willing and effective runner.

His stats were good the past two years. Completed 61% of his passes for over 1500 yds in '19 with 13 TD's and 2 INT's He rushed for over 300 yards.

Last year he improved to 65% over 1300 yards in a shortened season with 9 TD's and 5 INT's. His rushing increased to over 600 yards.

If UT had had QB play that "horrible" over the past 4 years either Jones or Pruitt would still be the coach.
Living in VA I watxh a bunch of VT games. His overall stats are a bit misleading. He'd play well one game and have awesome numbers. The next he looked like he couldn't play HS ball. It was very strange. If he improves his consistency, he may be good. He drove VT fans nuts.

Reactions: Old Geezer
If Maurer could stay healthy he would do great things. He is an excellent athlete and good QB. But he is made of porcelain and every time he takes a hit you hold your breath he don’t get hurt.
Good athlete, but he needs to work on passing. The other QBs are ahead of him on accuracy by a long shot.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
UCF recruited Maurer while Heupel was HC.

I trust what they said about an open competition. It will be based on attributes that the previous staff didn't emphasize... which is why JG kept the job. They said the guy who wins out will make good, timely decisions and then deliver the ball on target. They make the QB much more responsible for decision making and directing the O than any of the previous staffs. You can't run as fast as they want to run and "check with me" on every play for adjustments or play changes.

I don't know who that favors.... because Maurer and Bailey weren't required to do it, Salter is brand new and Hooker hasn't been in this specific system.

If I were a betting man... I'd say Hooker has an advantage leading in. He has played more and played in a much more similar O. Based on what we've seen of them as Vols, Maurer is much more athletic than Bailey and has a better arm. Bailey may have an accuracy advantage which is pretty big and appeared to be decisive in a good way. Maurer looked better from a decision making standpoint as a Fr than as a Soph. No real idea what that might mean- just an observation.

Maurer and Hooker have both been sidelined by injuries. If one or both are injury prone... that becomes important.

For those vested in one QB or the other... this is going to be torture. For those of us who just want to see good QB play at UT... it is going to be fun.
I believe he lost that edge that he had when he got those concussions his freshman year. Just my opinion though.

Maurer fits this system more than any QB on roster. He plays with his hair on fire. Has better arm talent than Bailey. Last year I believe Maurer was in trouble with Pruitt. He wasn’t the same as his freshman year.

IMO, arm talent and athleticism will be secondary considerations in selecting the starting QB.

Whoever grasps the offense the best, makes the best decisions with the football in the context of the scheme, and makes accurate throws on time with be the starter. They all have enough physical talent to play at the P5 level.

Used to take too many hard, unnecessary in the long run, hits, iirc.

Can't fault his moxey but he ain't Tee Martin...come at me. 😎😆
Oh the kid has swagger and moxey for sure. He has the confidence and ability to play in the SEC and I also like his loyalty to UT. I figured he would have transferred by now but it appears this kid actually wants to be at UT.

Reactions: MaTaLa
Maurer fits this system more than any QB on roster. He plays with his hair on fire. Has better arm talent than Bailey. Last year I believe Maurer was in trouble with Pruitt. He wasn’t the same as his freshman year.
He also throws passes right to defenders too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe he lost that edge that he had when he got those concussions his freshman year. Just my opinion though.
I'm privy to a little private insight with him. Not much but a little.

There was a break down between BM and Pruitt on a personal level. IMO, Pruitt was actively shopping Maurer and encouraging him to leave. I also think that was a split between Chaney who did like BM and Pruitt.

Can you name one int he threw that was the result of an inaccurate pass? Or were they just simply bad decisions? Question of the day
LOL ..really ..I saw a bunch whre if the DB could catch it was INT ... he was very careless trying to force throws ... guess he was trying to make a miraculous play .. or just wanted rid of ball ..cause he was getting hammered when he ran the ball .. one thing I hope he has learned is .. he aint in HS anymore ..these defenders will flat knock your head off ... and did ... think he had a couple concussions .. get down boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL ..really ..I saw a bunch whre if the DB could catch it was INT ... he was very careless trying to force throws ... guess he was trying to make a miraculous play .. or just wanted rid of ball ..cause he was getting hammered when he ran the ball .. one thing I hope he has learned is .. he aint in HS anymore ..these defenders will flat knock your head off ... and did ... think he had a couple concussions .. get down boy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are looking through biased eyes.... and evaded 1vol8's point. He made bad reads. That's what young guys do and particularly when the focus is on a guy like JG and trying to play to his limitations.

Maurer was decisive. That's what you want. The next step is cleaning up the decisions. That remains the unknown.

As for the other, 1vol8 is correct that the head/neck injury he suffered vs MSU was freakish and had nothing to do with toughness or conditioning or anything like that. From there, we don't know if he's potentially concussion prone like some guys are (ends their career) or if his injury was mismanaged.

My bigger concern is the reported hamstring and then the injury he sustained vs UGA. That could become a pattern... or it could be an anomaly or something he overcomes by bulking up and being more judicious when he runs.

Unlike many, I haven't picked a favorite horse. If I had someone I personally "liked" for one reason or another... that would still be unimportant when compared to who gives UT the best chance of winning. Right now, I think Hooker has the advantage just because of the quality and relevance of his experience. The others have strengths and weaknesses. One of the factors against Bailey is that the others are more athletic and talented running the ball. Injuries could be a factor for any of them but Maurer and Hooker have more injury history at this point.

I am making NO predictions... you are. You've dismissed and trashed him. That's not smart at this point. It indicates that you likely have a "guy" that you want to be "the guy"... and are viewing them all through that lens.

Soon enough we'll start to see how the competition is shaking out. You are guaranteed to be hacked off since you dislike at least one of them. Maurer will likely have good days and receive praise... and you'll be annoyed.

For my part, I would like the decision to be extremely difficult and have a 4 deep QB room headed into the first game.

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8
PS- The coaches gave us the criteria that will determine the winner. Good, timely decisions. Mastery of the offense. Accuracy. In truth, none of the 4 guys competing for the job have demonstrated what they can do compared to the standard they'll compete by. Nothing they did in HS proves it. Three of them have not had those expectations so they cannot be pre-judged. Hooker has had them in a different system and to a different/lesser degree.

To write anyone off or write anyone in at this point... is just ignorant and stupid.

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8
Now count how many of forces were in games he was prepared to play in vs how many where he was thrown in cold on a JG game plan. I’ll help you. 2 . You’re literally attaching a reputation over TWO passes (Miss St). I challenge you to find footage of Maurer warming up on the sidelines BEFORE he thrust into a game. Until then you’re basing a personal opinion on a LACK of facts

VN Store

Back