Interesting perspective from UCLA writer on the Barnes negotiations.....

I believe Barnes totally on what he had to say about the whole UCLA matter. I absolutely do not believe that Barns ever tried to pry more money out of UT. Money has not meant that much to him and was the reason that for one season he was paying a huge amount of money out of this own salary to keep an assistant coach that he valued to the success of his program. Barnes was a life long admirer and close personal friend of UCLA basketball coach John Wooden....10 of their national championships out of 11 total. That was his total interest and admiration of UCLA and former coach John Wooden.

What it the world? He flat out said money was the only reason he didn't go to UCLA.

It continues to bother me the way our fans treat our own and react to these situations.

I would no longer refer to Barnes was "one of our own". It's clear and has been pointed out multiple times by his ardent defenders this week that Barnes has no particular ties or emotional attachments to Tennessee, thus his desire to be UCLA's head coach, where he apparently did have an emotional attachment. He's a hired gun, period. I would certainly not call him a VFL from this point forward. Just another guy passing through, Jerry Green basically.

This is just UCLA doing damage control over the "being too cheap" on the buyout comment....

This is just UCLA doing damage control over the "being too cheap" on the buyout comment....
The idocy of the Cal offer, then the double take on Dixon and then Barnes is not very flattering.

Shouldnt come as a shock that someone is trying to smooth that over.

Stability goes a long way. Imagine new coaches in football and both basketball programs. Fulmer made the right call. Also, this is all speculation. Of course we'll never know what really happens

UCLA could save face, instead they let everyone get all pizzed they didn’t just pay all of the buyout..........I don’t get it.

Also Barnes seems like a smart man..........one would have to think the 25 million is the very most he could squeeze out of that........I’m sure he know that.........if you know it why ruin the chance by asking for a few hundred thousand more?
More like 14.5 after CA gets done with it. Plus a 500k house in Knoxville is about 3mm out there.

More like 14.5 after CA gets done with it. Plus a 500k house in Knoxville is about 3mm out there.

Yea

Trying to show this UCLA writer is either wrong or lying. The UCLA fans and some media were nuts about the debacle. Knowing UCLA lost out due to the buyout again. If it wasn’t that and Barnes had asked for more UCLA would have said so. No way they lose the coach and they come out looking bad/dumb if they didn’t have to.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
0.0% chance he agreed a deal with UCLA (including the buyout) and then went back to renegotiate again. That’s not the way it works. And I believe that Barnes isn’t motivated by money alone anyway. I believe that he probably let them know he wanted the job but needed them to cover his buyout. When they balked at that...fulmer came in and basically mathched their offer. End of story. I hate it that he actually wanted to leave and didn’t say feel the need to assure the Tennessee community (that celebrated him getting one of the richest coaching contracts our school has ever handed out) that his heart was always in staying. Bla bla. But it is what it is. He’s proven to be an excellent coach and will likely continue to do great things here. He always won everywhere he’s been.

Why would UCLA admit to offering Barnes $6mil and say at the same time he is not worth it? That makes them sound pretty desperate. Talking about making your program look totally stupid. This story is a hoax.

0.0% chance he agreed a deal with UCLA (including the buyout) and then went back to renegotiate again. That’s not the way it works. And I believe that Barnes isn’t motivated by money alone anyway. I believe that he probably let them know he wanted the job but needed them to cover his buyout. When they balked at that...fulmer came in and basically mathched their offer. End of story. I hate it that he actually wanted to leave and didn’t say feel the need to assure the Tennessee community (that celebrated him getting one of the richest coaching contracts our school has ever handed out) that his heart was always in staying. Bla bla. But it is what it is. He’s proven to be an excellent coach and will likely continue to do great things here. He always won everywhere he’s been.
Or he agreed with UCLA, found out he had to pay tax on the buyout, asked Fulmer to reduce buyout so amount agreed with UCLA would cover tax and all, got rejected, went back for more, got rejected there, and then fleeced Fulmer when he knew losing another coach was PR disaster. Maybe?

Or he agreed with UCLA, found out he had to pay tax on the buyout, asked Fulmer to reduce buyout so amount agreed with UCLA would cover tax and all, got rejected, went back for more, got rejected there, and then fleeced Fulmer when he knew losing another coach was PR disaster. Maybe?

I think it’s plausible that the contract negotiations between Barnes and UCLA broke down regarding how the buyout would be paid. Apparently different schools interpret the tax status of buyouts differently and I’m sure that would be put in a contract.

But asking Fulmer to reduce the buyout? No chance. If he knew losing the coach would be a PR disaster, he wouldn’t ask to make it easier for him to leave.

Basically, it sounds like contract negotiations between Barnes and UCLA broke down over some aspect of the buyout.

I dont believe this report. If Rick were going to lie, why wouldn't he say something more flattering to himself and Tennessee? It was obviously about the buyout or he wouldn't have said that.

Also , who cares if it was about the money? We knew that it was from the start. I see a bunch of sarcastic remarks about Rick's faith as if, if he were a true Christian, he wouldn't be trying to make the most money possible? Why? Of course you want to make as much as you can! I'm a Christian, and if another company comes and offers me significantly more money, of course I'm gonna listen!
And I hope you wouldn’t drag the name of Jesus into it.

Reactions: Big time vol
And I hope you wouldn’t drag the name of Jesus into it.
Why do you seem to doubt the sincerity of his decision based on what he seemed to see as a roadblock? I'd think I'd sooner trust a man who reads genuine in everything else he's done. why because it involves money are you so sure he's a fake? It's what you are projecting. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Why do you seem to doubt the sincerity of his decision based on what he seemed to see as a roadblock? I'd think I'd sooner trust a man who reads genuine in everything else he's done. why because it involves money are you so sure he's a fake? It's what you are projecting. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Doubting sincerity comes along with life's lessons. I have seen a lot of businessmen wear the church as a cloak of respectability. Not saying Barnes is insincere, truth is none of us have known him 40 or 50 years so I am not quite ready to canonize him as yet.

Doubting sincerity comes along with life's lessons. I have seen a lot of businessmen wear the church as a cloak of respectability. Not saying Barnes is insincere, truth is none of us have known him 40 or 50 years so I am not quite ready to canonize him as yet.
Barnes' life is pretty much an open book and always consistent. A few articles show how open he is about his beliefs.

https://godtv.com/tennessee-basketb...s-to-teach-his-team-to-be-good-christian-men/

Tennessee basketball coach Rick Barnes lives his life for the Lord - Sports Spectrum

https://www.faithwire.com/2019/01/2...is-teaching-players-to-be-good-christian-men/

Rick Barnes' Biggest Regret | Charlotte Christian Voice

So you don’t trust someone based off what other people have done? Good strategy.

Reactions: cncchris33
So you don’t trust someone based off what other people have done? Good strategy.
Kind of out of character for me to be defending the guy. I've studied his life inside and out and if anyone is genuine in what he believes it's this man. I'd trust my kids to play for him and I think he'll sign a lot more guys like Jalen cone because of what he is.

Kind of out of character for me to be defending the guy. I've studied his life inside and out and if anyone is genuine in what he believes it's this man. I'd trust my kids to play for him and I think he'll sign a lot more guys like Jalen cone because of what he is.

Hope you are correct.

Considering his son is a missionary in the Middle East and his daughter adopted two children from Uganda, I am pretty sure there are plenty of signs to verify Rick’s faith. That doesn’t even include the countless videos and comments by players.

All that said, he doesn’t need to prove anything to any of us. It’s not my job to judge. That’s left to the man upstairs.

VN Store

Back