Interesting Holly interview

Looks like that if she gets back into coaching , she would try doing exactly what CKH has begun doing. Find girls who play hard and don't just look at their "stars".

Reactions: savannahfan
Holly is a very important figure in Lady Vol history and she’ll always have a special place in my heart. So I am truly happy to read that she’s interested in coaching again and hope the right situation comes up soon.

Kinda sounds like she wouldn’t mind at all being a recruiting coordinator, and her sweet personality would make her perfect for that job — IF a program she really likes, in an area she’d like to live, comes a-calling.

Much love and luck to Holly! I have to say that I wish she’d make an announced appearance at a home game so that we fans could show her some love one last time.

It makes my blood boil when somebody quotes a message they didn't learn. Holly said Pat emphasized listening. Which I myself know is true. Pat was wise. A person who is wise is going to hear everything they can hear and dismiss what makes no sense and retain what's good … but they will listen to all of it because all of it ultimately builds towards knowledge. I am not convinced that Holly listened to everybody. I truly believe that Holly listened to those who listened to her first. Holly had her own vision and anything that interrupted it was considered an obstacle. I was such an obstacle. Meme Jackson requested me as her summer coach. Holly denied meme’s request. Holly called me and left a message citing the reason for not letting me work with her was that “I had been too hard on the team in my postings on social media”. … I wasn't hard on the team I was hard on CHW and her staff…I am a coach and as such, I have to believe that I can get the best out of any player…therefore, I don’t often blame a player. (there are exceptions to this, some players ARE impossible, but I have only met a handful in the well over 2,000 girls I have worked with

Less than two weeks later another player’s father sought me out for a workout. I put that player through my 40-drill workout at a local church gym. And even after telling them of my experience with CHW , they still both wanted to continue, two-a-weeks. ((Note: some of you may be considering that I went underhanded here, but there are bylaws that lets an institution’s coach select summer influences aligned with the university and the athlete themselves are allowed a certain number of player/parent selected personal trainers. This player’s father sought me out so it was not in association with the staff. . . .However, two weeks later, all off-campus workouts were eliminated.))

I'm not posting to say Holly can't coach on some level. She obviously has a vast knowledge of this game and it would be beneficial for CHW to experience post-UT success because of her name and association with this University.

She's just wasn't the coach for this University.
I wish her success though.
Coaching is my passion, as I am sure it is to her…to be without an ongoing coaching gig is to be very empty.

Holly is a very important figure in Lady Vol history and she’ll always have a special place in my heart. So I am truly happy to read that she’s interested in coaching again and hope the right situation comes up soon.

Kinda sounds like she wouldn’t mind at all being a recruiting coordinator, and her sweet personality would make her perfect for that job — IF a program she really likes, in an area she’d like to live, comes a-calling.

Much love and luck to Holly! I have to say that I wish she’d make an announced appearance at a home game so that we fans could show her some love one last time.
I feel the exact same way. I would actually love it if she could be the Vols recruiting coordinator or have a special assignment within the women’s program to assist in recruiting. I know it won’t happen, but I’d love to see it.

I feel the exact same way. I would actually love it if she could be the Vols recruiting coordinator or have a special assignment within the women’s program to assist in recruiting. I know it won’t happen, but I’d love to see it.

Well, no, I guess I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’d like to see her recruiting at Tennessee again. I’m sure she’d do a great job, but I think it would be awkward for everyone, but mostly Kellie, if the former (fired) head coach were suddenly on staff (in any capacity) again. Besides, Kellie already has a full, excellent staff and Iwouldn’t trade any of them for anyone else!

It’s probably best for everyone that the “Kellie Show” remain Kellie’s — moving forward with a fresh energy. I’m looking forward to seeing where Holly lands, though!

Well, no, I guess I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’d like to see her recruiting at Tennessee again. I’m sure she’d do a great job, but I think it would be awkward for everyone, but mostly Kellie, if the former (fired) head coach were suddenly on staff (in any capacity) again. Besides, Kellie already has a full, excellent staff and Iwouldn’t trade any of them for anyone else!

It’s probably best for everyone that the “Kellie Show” remain Kellie’s — moving forward with a fresh energy. I’m looking forward to seeing where Holly lands, though!

Agree

As I, and many others have stated, "stars are not the bottom line for success". Finally a coach (former) admits/agrees with this. You MUST have the type player Holly now admits you must have (and Kellie is trying to find/get) the ones who "run through walls" (wanna say brick, but just can't use "brick" anymore) and do what every is needed to win. Applies to any sport. As for our football program, the lack of "stars" means little when you are hunting for players other than skill type position players. Many players, like kickers have few stars, many great interior linemen have few stars, they don't give stars to the "heart" players, or the tough team players who push others to stars. Those are the type players who make "great teams". Once in awhile you just have to recruit a class of these type players. So look at what a program (any program) needs and be excited when the recruited class meet those needs.

Reactions: T_Vol376

All this was most likely summed up in the statement "I know it's not going to happen". I think they get it.

Looks like that if she gets back into coaching , she would try doing exactly what CKH has begun doing. Find girls who play hard and don't just look at their "stars".

That’s what she said... that she should have done that... so I’m assuming if she gets back into coaching she would do just that.

As I, and many others have stated, "stars are not the bottom line for success". Finally a coach (former) admits/agrees with this. You MUST have the type player Holly now admits you must have (and Kellie is trying to find/get) the ones who "run through walls" (wanna say brick, but just can't use "brick" anymore) and do what every is needed to win. Applies to any sport. As for our football program, the lack of "stars" means little when you are hunting for players other than skill type position players. Many players, like kickers have few stars, many great interior linemen have few stars, they don't give stars to the "heart" players, or the tough team players who push others to stars. Those are the type players who make "great teams". Once in awhile you just have to recruit a class of these type players. So look at what a program (any program) needs and be excited when the recruited class meet those needs.

I totally agree. Forget the stars. Give me somebody that’s HUNGRY!!!

Maybe not recruiting coordinator but some administrative assignment like when they hired Coach Fulmer as advisor to the president. It went a long way in healing the relationship after he was fired. (So many parallels to his and Holly’s situations and so ironic he would have to be the one to let her go.) I think it’s too soon and would surely be awkward for Holly to be that close to the program right now.

I personally can’t stand the thought of her at another school. Holly is a Tennessee girl and, as @lvocd stated, “is a very important figure in Lady Vol history.”

Last edited:
Reactions: stlvolsfan
Quite from @lvocd:

“I have to say that I wish she’d make an announced appearance at a home game so that we fans could show her some love one last time.”

I really wish this would/could happen. 🧡

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Pat sure had the 4/5 star players. She routinely had the top class. I think one year she had 3 of the top 5.

Reactions: mytenn
All this was most likely summed up in the statement "I know it's not going to happen". I think they get it.

Not the same thing at all. Stlvolsvol said she/he “would actually love it” if Holly were at Tennessee in some capacity again. I’m saying I would not love it.

Maybe not recruiting coordinator but some administrative assignment like when they hired Coach Fulmer as advisor to the president. It went a long way in healing the relationship after he was fired. (So many parallels to his and Holly’s situations and so ironic he wound have to be the one to let her go.) I think it’s too soon and would surely be awkward for Holly to be that close to the program right now.

I personally can’t stand the thought of her at another school. Holly is a Tennessee girl and, as @lvocd stated, “is a very important figure in Lady Vol history.”
Completely agree

It sounds like Holly has gained a lot of perspective on areas where she may have fallen short. At least, the issues she cited were ones that the fans here frequently complained about. She invested 30 years of her life into this program and will always be a LVFL. I wish her nothing but the best. I too think she would be a good recruiting coordinator, or perhaps a coach, at a mid-major.

It sounds like Holly has gained a lot of perspective on areas where she may have fallen short. At least, the issues she cited were ones that the fans here frequently complained about. She invested 30 of her life into this program and will always be a LVFL. I wish her nothing but the best. I too think she would be a good recruiting coordinator, or perhaps a coach, at a mid-major.

*38 years

This was a nice post. 😊

Not the same thing at all. Stlvolsvol said she/he “would actually love it” if Holly were at Tennessee in some capacity again. I’m saying I would not love it.

I'm referring to your diatribe on all the reasons it will never happen, not the party about your desires. That's why he said "I know it's not going to happen".

I truly believe that Holly listened to those who listened to her first. Holly had her own vision and anything that interrupted it was considered an obstacle. I was such an obstacle. Meme Jackson requested me as her summer coach. Holly denied meme’s request. Holly called me and left a message citing the reason for not letting me work with her was that “I had been too hard on the team in my postings on social media”. … I wasn't hard on the team I was hard on CHW and her staff…I am a coach and as such, I have to believe that I can get the best out of any player…therefore, I don’t often blame a player. (there are exceptions to this, some players ARE impossible, but I have only met a handful in the well over 2,000 girls I have worked with

Less than two weeks later another player’s father sought me out for a workout. I put that player through my 40-drill workout at a local church gym. And even after telling them of my experience with CHW , they still both wanted to continue, two-a-weeks. ((Note: some of you may be considering that I went underhanded here, but there are bylaws that lets an institution’s coach select summer influences aligned with the university and the athlete themselves are allowed a certain number of player/parent selected personal trainers. This player’s father sought me out so it was not in association with the staff. . . .However, two weeks later, all off-campus workouts were eliminated.)

That is an amazing story! Holly violated so many NCAA regulations! Once word about this gets out, watch out for the sanctions!

The NCAA bylaws state:

17.3.6 Out-of-Season Athletically Related Activities. In basketball, student-athletes and members of the coaching staff shall not engage in countable athletically related activities outside the institution's playing season except as permitted in Bylaw 17.1.7.2. (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06)

[My Note - Those exemptions relate to Football; being a paid counselor in coaching clinics, and last but not least, a window in the spring semester where Fall sports are allowed to have a limited number of coach-supervised practices]

17.3.6.1 Summer Practice. Practice that is organized or financially supported by a member institution shall be prohibited during the summer unless specifically authorized in the bylaws (e.g., foreign tour) or through official interpretations. An institution may pay fees associated with the use of institutional practice and competition facilities by student-athletes engaged in voluntary athletically related activities in their sport. (Adopted: 4/28/05, Revised: 9/27/05, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

There are also a whole bunch of rules which govern the conduct of "voluntary student athletic activity" but the main restriction is that the coaches cannot be involved; can not provide direct incentives nor would it be legal for a coach to "cancel" these voluntary activities over which he/she is prohibited from being involved in.

From the NCAA website:
What is a “voluntary” activity?
A:To be considered a “voluntary” activity, all the following conditions must be met:•The student-athlete must not be required to report back to a coach or other athletics department staff member (e.g., strength coach, trainer, manager) any information related to the activity. In addition, noncoaching athletics department staff members who observe the activity (e.g., strength coach, trainer, manager) may not report back to the student-athlete’s coach any information related to the activity. [Note: Coaches may not observe voluntary activities.]•The activity must be initiated and requested solely by the student-athlete. Neither the institu-tion nor any athletics department staff member may require the student-athlete to participate in the activity at any time.•The student-athlete’s attendance and participation in the activity (or lack thereof) may not be recorded for the purpose of reporting such information to coaching staff members or to other student-athletes; and•The student-athlete may not be subjected to penalty if he or she elects not to participate in the activity. In addition, neither the institution nor any athletics department staff member may provide recognition or incentives (e.g., awards) to a student-athlete based on his or her atten-dance or performance in the activity

If a coach were to intervene in voluntary activities, they would then become "countable athletic related activities" and place the institution in a violation that carries some serious penalties.

So gosh darn, that Holly! She not only violated these very monitored and enforced rules, which could still lead to major consequences for the program, but she also left an email trail to boot, all because she did not like some posts on Volnation.

My, my, that is just unbelievable!

VN Store

Back