Interesting film analysis - Kurt Warner on Hendon Hooker

By the way you have a wonderful day I assume your the greatest maybe you are but I respect your opinion and you should respect mine thanks in advance oh knowledgeable one
wow, on edge today huh? This didn't start with opinions, it starting with me simply giving you a fact in addition to a fact you posted because you were big mad about a Hall of Fame qb....giving an opinion. Now you want to respect everyone's opinions. I never claimed greatness, I was simply adding something that adds context to your attempt to take a dig at a HOF'ers career b/c you didn't like his opinion. Don't be so sensitive. Bro.

Also, it's
"you're"

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Kurt Warner did a film study on Hendon about a day ago and he made a few points I want to mention:
(KW chose the Ga game from this past season since it was our most challenging defense, and he prefers to watch an entire game rather than simply break down highlights only)

Had Warner done a film analysis of Peyton Manning vs. Nebraska, he probably would not have given Manning high marks either. You can't accurately evaluate a QB by only looking at his worst game.

It's very hard to predict how QBs will perform in the NFL--there are MANY variables, a fair number of them not even directly
related to the QBs talent/skill level. That is why a lot of first-rounders bust. Brock Purdy, last player taken in the the draft, could have led
the Niners to the Super Bowl this year had he not been injured and he may win the job next season over Trey Lance, for whom the Niners gave up a boatload of draft capital to draft him as the No. 3 pick in the draft.

Hooker will certainly get a /good/ chance to show what he can do. That's all you can ask. Some guys don't even get much of a chance to do that. Tyler Bray is a pretty damn talented thrower--good enough to stick with the Chiefs for, what, 4 or more years and be in the league for, what, 5 or 6 years--and yet he never got a shot to play in regular-season games. I'm not saying he would have been a good NFL QB--his lack of mobility was a problem--but much depends on the team that drafts you or that you play for, their offensive philosophy, the QBs ahead of you on that team, injuries, luck etc. There are a lot of variables.

It's very hard to predict how QBs will perform in the NFL--there are MANY variables, a fair number of them not even directly
related to the QBs talent/skill level. That is why a lot of first-rounders bust. Brock Purdy, last player taken in the the draft, could have led
the Niners to the Super Bowl this year had he not been injured and he may win the job next season over Trey Lance, for whom the Niners gave up a boatload of draft capital to draft him as the No. 3 pick in the draft.

Hooker will certainly get a /good/ chance to show what he can do. That's all you can ask. Some guys don't even get much of a chance to do that. Tyler Bray is a pretty damn talented thrower--good enough to stick with the Chiefs for, what, 4 or more years and be in the league for, what, 5 or 6 years--and yet he never got a shot to play in regular-season games. I'm not saying he would have been a good NFL QB--his lack of mobility was a problem--but much depends on the team that drafts you or that you play for, their offensive philosophy, the QBs ahead of you on that team, injuries, luck etc. There are a lot of variables.

Agreed. I am a Panthers fan in the NFL because i have been in Charlotte since we got the franchise, but i think they just made a huge mistake trading a 1st and 2nd rounder both this season and next to get the first pick in this draft! There is NO QB in this draft even close to being a "sure thing" as a pro player. None. Some years there seems to be a lock to succeed in the pro game but there simply is not one this season. We had a slew of extra picks from the 49ers due to trading away CMC..
They squandered half of that draft capital to move up from 9th to 1st...to draft who??? Stroud? Young? Better not be Levis or the Flarduh guy Richardson or I will straight up quit watching them until we get a decent QB....those 2 were not even good passers in college, much less ever being good passers as a pro. I still cannot believe that 95% of these mock drafts put Will Levis raggedy butt higher than Hooker. Guess they didnt watch Levis versus Tennessee with his staggering 86 passing yards and 3int despite playing the entire game against a passing defense which then have up more than 500 yards and 60 points to SCjr immediately after. Good grief.

Anyway, you are correct bud in that drafting a QB is a total roll of the dice. We have no idea what these kids are gonna do against grown men which are all extremely strong and lightning fast. The guy on the end of the bench who is the 53rd player on the worst team in the NFL was an absolute stud in college...likely the best player on every team he played for before the NFL. Thats why the lowly Denver Broncos would beat the UGA Champs about 55-0 if they played today. The talent levels are not even comparable. GBO

IMO this game was an outlier because the crowd was so loud and we went on a silent count. UGAs D started timing the count got the jump and our usual great protection was not there. T his threw HHS timing off and was a big part of it being his worst game. Assessing HH on this one game is IMO a stretch or just someone that wants to find a game to fit his narrative.

you realize this was the number 1 offense in the country last year? Yeah, let’s change it. FMR. I love the coaching expertise here
Well, you're missing my point here. What I am speaking of is that extra little bit that pushes you over the top. in those upcoming games against the Georgias and Alabamas of the world. I'm talking about being able to win those top echelon games and truly compete in that arena. I love our offense in general and that its the top producer in the country of course.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Well, you're missing my point here. What I am speaking of is that extra little bit that pushes you over the top. in those upcoming games against the Georgias and Alabamas of the world. I'm talking about being able to win those top echelon games and truly compete in that arena. I love our offense in general and that its the top producer in the country of course.

Didn’t they beat Alabama this yr? Damn, don’t tell me I was mistaken.

Didn’t they beat Alabama this yr? Damn, don’t tell me I was mistaken.
They did but it was closer than I'd like.
I'd like a good clear no questions asked win this year. We let them back in it and Nicky coached like he was drunk that game

I suspect the reason it seemed like HH latched on to WRs early was the game plan for UGA. The staff knew he was not going to get his usual amount of time so for that week he was one and done regarding targeting is my opinion. I'll give Warner credit for picking that up but deduct points as he extrapolated that trait for one game for HH's entire season.

wow, on edge today huh? This didn't start with opinions, it starting with me simply giving you a fact in addition to a fact you posted because you were big mad about a Hall of Fame qb....giving an opinion. Now you want to respect everyone's opinions. I never claimed greatness, I was simply adding something that adds context to your attempt to take a dig at a HOF'ers career b/c you didn't like his opinion. Don't be so sensitive. Bro.

Also, it's
"you're"
Touche bro

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Kurt Warner did a film study on Hendon about a day ago and he made a few points I want to mention:
(KW chose the Ga game from this past season since it was our most challenging defense, and he prefers to watch an entire game rather than simply break down highlights only)
1). To him it was difficult to analyze HH because of our offense, but he strongly implied that HH tended to "latch on" to a receiver either immediately after the snap or even before. Tended to, not always of course. He also pointedly criticized our "one sided game" where the two off-side receivers simply "jog 5 yards" and quit running any route. Now this didn't happen the entire game, but it happened quite often. And this prevents the QB from reading the "big picture" to find openings that are there almost every play......even against an historically great defense. Mostly it limits Warner from assessing HH's read-ability of the developing play and so KW cannot assess Hendon's ability in that area easily.
I have said this before - I cannot stand this habit in our receivers. We have depth in the WR room.....why not everyone run your route? What happens when the QB's pre-determined choice is covered, and he needs a back up option? In fact KW showed exactly this result where the R side was covered and H had to scramble back to his Left and the receivers on that side acted lost.
2). KW suggested H had a tendency (in this game at least) to panic a bit early and by-pass the opportunity to read the defense at snap and opt for the easier check-down throw. In fairness, Hendon completed many of these balls to his pre-ordained choice, but Warner was simply discussing how a college qb can elevate himself on these opportunities.
3). KW implied that H does not read the defense in general and has a tendency to commit to a WR before giving the play a chance to develop. In other words, Warner asks the question...."can HH develop the ability to do this more often at the next level? It may be a fair question.

It must be said that this was H's poorest game probably, and that he WAS IN FACT playing a really gifted defense. I would think one needs to be more complete in film analysis over a broader context to fairly judge. However, the sloppy "jog 5 yards" irritates me to no end. Its against the #1 team in the country in their house.....can we not fully run the routes please, at least for this opponent?

Another point I noticed.....remarkable how on nearly EVERY play, Georgia DB's were grabbing our receivers with one and sometime two hands when they made their cut in the route. Disgusting and allowed to happen all day long by refs.

A bigger question is this......I'm a bit concerned that Heupel's offense will continue to get labelled as gimmicky or nutty and the perception begins to grow that this offense will penalize a promising qb from developing to his maximum. I'm not saying that is true, but am concerned that someone such as Kurt Warner who comes across as fair begins to modestly suggest the above then it can harm us in the long run of recruiting. Listen, Coach JH almost has NEVER had a mediocre qb run his system, and so credit has to go to him for developing a platform where even average qb's can thrive.....but to climb to the top consistently, do we need to prove a qb can develop to an elite level while he is here? Obviously, Georgia won with a "game manager" talent in Stetson, so it can be done.....but to do so means you surround that game manager with elite talent 2 and 3 deep. Just a question I'm asking.
KW's breakdown on YTube: "Hooker | Part 2 of 2 | College QB Pre-Draft Preview – Kurt Warner Game Tape Breakdown"
As far as I’m concerned there’s not a human being on earth that is qualified to critique Heupel’s offense.

The speed at which our offense operates does not allow for multiple reads. If the primary is not there, the checkdown happens and that is it. This all happens in 2 seconds. Hooker processes things quickly, but the offense is designed to get the ball out extremely fast and not stand there and let things develop or over develop.

This. I would also add that receivers jogging on the side away from the play may be by design too so if temp is needed they are fresh and not sprinting during the play and immediately after to get back lined up. If we are running the next play in less than 20 seconds it makes sense.

Just like the injury timeout after a PAT to give everyone a breather, everything under CJH is designed a certain way and has a purpose. This offense is all about efficiency.

I suspect the reason it seemed like HH latched on to WRs early was the game plan for UGA. The staff knew he was not going to get his usual amount of time so for that week he was one and done regarding targeting is my opinion. I'll give Warner credit for picking that up but deduct points as he extrapolated that trait for one game for HH's entire season.

Even though I believe you are correct, I don't think that is the point Warner was making. The way I read it was Warner was saying that HH was a top level prospect but a lot of the things he did in the Tenn O make it harder to evaluate him as an NFL QB. For example, I saw a tweet the other day that said HH had fewer 3 or more step drop back passes than any of the other top QB prospects. (I mean it was somewhere along the lines of 15% to 50%) That's really not a knock on what Heupel is doing at TN, it just means you don't have a lot of film of HH running some of the traditional NFL concepts.

So, if you are a NFL HC or OC that runs play action from under center, you aren't going to have game film of HH running those concepts. If you like running tight formations that create space by going inside out instead of always spreading the field, same thing. I don't look at the analysis as a hit piece on HH as much as it being a commentator (that was also knocked as a system guy at one point) mentioning things that would be question marks during the evaluation process.

Disclaimer: I freely admit, I'm basically a know nothing about the offense, or reading the defense. So this is just the opinion of a Lasko’s Wind Curve.

My focus is on Vol 865's suggestion that the WRs not running routes is to keep them fresh. Could be, what do I know? Actually I've already told you that. However, I think this might underscore an idea I proffered in an earlier post on VN. We have an embarrassing wealth of really good WRs. I think the Heup should take KW's comments to heart. And every so often, have three WRs ready to sprint off the field, while another three sprint on the field, assume their positions, already knowing what pass play will be called, and GO! Don't even bother to get into the huddle, just line up ready. Maybe call it the hair trigger maneuver. Practice it until you got it down perfectly. And, of course, have all the WRs run routes. Constant fresh legs would run a defense ragged, resulting in half a hundred point games or maybe even a full hundred point games. Now, on the other hand, I also freely admit, the adage of, if it ain't broke don't fix it is something not to be ignored. Heup 'em, Josh, baby!
We can't do that. It allows the other team to sub. Our offense is built on speed and the threat we will run plays really fast if you try to sub. Golesh said this. If a player needs a blow we call plays to different players to allow them to get a blow on the field. Offense is designed to tire out the 11 on defense. So we can't play 7 wrs or 3 tbs. We led the country in scoring. Hard to pick it apart at this point right?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We can't do that. It allows the other team to sub. Our offense is built on speed and the threat we will run plays really fast if you try to sub. Golesh said this. If a player needs a blow we call plays to different players to allow them to get a blow on the field. Offense is designed to tire out the 11 on defense. So we can't play 7 wrs or 3 tbs. We led the country in scoring. Hard to pick it apart at this point right?

Well, can he bake a cherry pie?

As far as I’m concerned there’s not a human being on earth that is qualified to critique Heupel’s offense.

Whats there to possibly criticize about an offense that beat out the buckeyes for top offense in the NCAA...with a still depleted roster no less? That buckeye programs 4 year recruiting class average going into the season was what 2nd highest in FBS? Maybe 3rd at the worst? Versus ours around 15th perhaps BEFORE the attrition that saw 35 scholarship players (and most of our highest rated/ starters) leave immediately the season prior?

That same offense has 10TDs passing and 0 (zero) interceptions after losing our starting QB and NFL talent due to injury...5 of those glorious passing TDs also coming in our Jan6 drubbing of a Clemson team with a couple of recent titles and also having a 4 year recruiting class ranking of top3 caliber which should imply a serious talent and depth disparity versus our VOLS...but we pummeled them with another balanced gameplan and looked great both running and passing against their ACC champion squad. I was surprised how much we dominated that game.

I agree wholeheartedly with you my VOL brother. Any criticism of Coach Hypes offense is just jealousy...great to be a feared team again where nobody wants to play us!! Who could have ever imagined that our return to relevance would only take CJH 1 full season?? GO VOLS.

Reactions: lukeneyland
A lot of times, the QB has no idea where he’s going with the ball or even what route is happening until he sees how the DBs react to the WR release and reveal their leverage. I almost think the scheme hurts Hyatt’s draft stock more than Hooker’s. Hooker still had to make reads, Hyatt made a living off bad DB reactions to switch releases and eye candy and just hitting the jets.
I would pushback that the QB should ALWAYS have an idea of where to go based off of safety and DB alignment pre-snap. I do agree with you that post-snap they need to read safety to DB again to ensure the initial read was correct. A lot of this also comes from prep where you try to understand defensive tendencies and situational behaviors.

I would pushback that the QB should ALWAYS have an idea of where to go based off of safety and DB alignment pre-snap. I do agree with you that post-snap they need to read safety to DB again to ensure the initial read was correct. A lot of this also comes from prep where you try to understand defensive tendencies and situational behaviors.
I agree, just saying there are a lot of choice routes where “being on the same page” almost matters as much as the pre snap read.

Reactions: GoVols64
Had Warner done a film analysis of Peyton Manning vs. Nebraska, he probably would not have given Manning high marks either. You can't accurately evaluate a QB by only looking at his worst game.
This is a valid point and highlights the risk of judging someone off one game sample. But sports media in general don't study to a degree of depth that, say, Greg Cosell does (that guy is awesome to learn from)

KW does not know how the system works. There was a breakdown video on here a while ago that did a great job explaining it. He "latches" onto a receiver because the play is designed specifically for that receiver, the others dont run routes to keep space clear and allow the others to make the reads. The plays allow the target receiver read the defense and adjust routes and HH had to read out receiver to know where to throw it.

I will see if I can located that video.

Yes, if the coaches are okay with it, then it is part of the scheme and I don’t see how anyone is complaining. I think we ended up with the #1 offense in the country.

And this was Georgia…with a stout pass rush. I doubt he had loads of time to “work through progressions.”

The analysis would be better if it involved the larger sample size of several games.

VN Store

Back