Insurance Agents of VN

gordonr24

Vol in West TN
I’m going through a career change and breaking into the insurance industry. I am currently studying for my first set of tests to obtain my property and casualty licenses. I have a few opportunities lined up with State Farm once I’ve passed these state examinations, and then I’d begin working on obtaining my life and health licenses.

I’m curious if there’s any other insurance agents on VN? As big as this interweb family is, I bet there’s more than a few. I’d like some advice about the state exams. I’m using ExamFX software to learn on my own.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I’m going through a career change and breaking into the insurance industry. I am currently studying for my first set of tests to obtain my property and casualty licenses. I have a few opportunities lined up with State Farm once I’ve passed these state examinations, and then I’d begin working on obtaining my life and health licenses.

I’m curious if there’s any other insurance agents on VN? As big as this interweb family is, I bet there’s more than a few. I’d like some advice about the state exams. I’m using ExamFX software to learn on my own.
I am a licensed life agent but am not currently in the industry.

I went to the Kaplan school in Knoxville when I got my license 10 years ago. I’m an independent agent, so I can’t say much on the workings of State Farm or the like. I would give this advice, believe half of what people tell you, be a good front line underwriter, and do the right thing even if it means you have to pass on a piece of business.

I have several good friends who are insurance agents, one independent, one with nationwide and two with SF. Let me know if you want me to make any connections. Be happy to

I have several good friends who are insurance agents, one independent, one with nationwide and two with SF. Let me know if you want me to make any connections. Be happy to

I’d appreciate that. Right now, I have a couple leads that are awaiting my completion, but if it doesn’t work out, I’d definitely like making some more connections. I wouldn’t be surprised if I made a connection with one of the ones you know. I’ve talked to a lot during the last few months in the process.

I’m an agent and have worked as a captive and as an independent. I’ve been in the business since ‘96 and I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have

Talk to @NEO

I’m an agent and have a nonresident license in TN, but it’s been awhile since I dealt in anything but credit lines.

Ok......how much detail do you want?

There are two main routes to go: captive and independent.

Captive blows.

Most agents start captive and go independent as soon as they can.

A large captive agent will have a 4 million dollar book and get 10 percent commission and their commissions are always getting messed with....they will say they give u support but its BS.

A normal independent indie agent will have a 4 million dollar book and can easily get to 10 if they know what they are doing and receive 15 percent on average and 19 to 20 on commercial lines.

Captives will also be required to write alot of life which is a one time pay normally and doesbt do you a damn thing for long term income.

Issue is you can be captive for decades and highly successful and if you try to switch to independent they still view you as a noobie.

Depending on the state you are in Erie does offer new scratch agents access if you can impress them. It's as earned premium but you can pick up a carrier once you get large enough to draw attention. Travelers is a very good second option as they cast a large net.

I will agree it is a very hard market to get into and if you plan on being and auto and home agent you are basically a hamster on a wheel for life.

I would focus heavily on commercial out of the gate, which you cant do at state farm as their bop is limited as most captives are, if you can go independent. The nice thing is you can literally go door to door for free and hit restaurants and auto garages all day.

Pick a few sic codes you feel comfortable with that are bopable and go hard after them. then expand into deeper lines that are more complex.

Stay away from multi class code contractors and GCs in the beginning as you can get yourself into the deep in with cg2033 and cg2037 endorsements.

Try to stay out of surplus lines until you have a very good grasp on commercial as its normally alot of CYA and gets very funky.

Nationwide agents have access to NBS which is basically Scottsdale and USLI which are very good and actually have some admitted products through Mount vernon. Once you get to 10 million you can get direct codes with usli and Scottsdale.

RPS is an excellent source for surplus lines.

Finally, shoot to reach 1 million in DWP by 36months. 1 million is the cross over point wher you can survive and you made it. Your not banking yet but you can support yourself.

Hope that helps somewhat. Good luck!

The nationwide agent is an independent now.

When nationwide bought allied about 17 years ago they slowly began the transition which is one reason Rasmussen was placed as the new CEO.

It used to be allied was the indie channel and Victoria was their nin standard channel. Thry sold Victoria off to national general and then moved everything including allied to nationwide paper.

Indies stil login in through the allied platform but it's the same product now across the board where Allstate and encompass are still separate rating platforms.

Nationwide is technically for all purposes actually run by the ohio farm bureau as they control the board and still stack it to this day.

The nationwide agent is an independent now.

When nationwide bought allied about 17 years ago they slowly began the transition which is one reason Rasmussen was placed as the new CEO.

It used to be allied was the indie channel and Victoria was their nin standard channel. Thry sold Victoria off to national general and then moved everything including allied to nationwide paper.

Indies stil login in through the allied platform but it's the same product now across the board where Allstate and encompass are still separate rating platforms.

Nationwide is technically for all purposes actually run by the ohio farm bureau as they control the board and still stack it to this day.
So what do you do for a living? Are you an agent?

So what do you do for a living? Are you an agent?

I am the majority share holder in a few businesses. I wish I could say more but promised my wife I would keep our personal life personal which I think is wise anymore.

I will state that everything I have is literally due to God. I was a college drop out working at a strip club in my mid 20s. I was completely lost, empty, and had no future ahead of me.

I walked into my parents kitchen while at their house and opened the yellow pages. I prayed to God to open doors and close doors and that my life was in his hands at that point.

I opened the book randomly and placed dropped my finger eyes closed on a temp service. I called them and they placed me into a job paying 9 dollars an hour in a corp building making breakfast.

Within 6 months I was working for that corporation.

Within 3 months after that I was promoted to the home office.

Within 6 months after that I was selected out of 15,000 employees to be part of a start up program.

I was then oddly enough placed back into the same building with my own office making 55k at 26 years old.

I was then hired by another company at 27 and the rest is history.

I take no glory myself. It is all God.

He gave it to me and honestly in a blink of an eye could take it all away.

I’m taking my property and casualty exams this week. I’m hoping to be poised unlike the Falcons. I was never a good test taker in college.

Reactions: NEO
I’m taking my property and casualty exams this week. I’m hoping to be poised unlike the Falcons. I was never a good test taker in college.

Check out shelter insurance.

They are captive but seem to be a good place for new agents.

Reactions: gordonr24
I am the majority share holder in a few businesses. I wish I could say more but promised my wife I would keep our personal life personal which I think is wise anymore.

I will state that everything I have is literally due to God. I was a college drop out working at a strip club in my mid 20s. I was completely lost, empty, and had no future ahead of me.

I walked into my parents kitchen while at their house and opened the yellow pages. I prayed to God to open doors and close doors and that my life was in his hands at that point.

I opened the book randomly and placed dropped my finger eyes closed on a temp service. I called them and they placed me into a job paying 9 dollars an hour in a corp building making breakfast.

Within 6 months I was working for that corporation.

Within 3 months after that I was promoted to the home office.

Within 6 months after that I was selected out of 15,000 employees to be part of a start up program.

I was then oddly enough placed back into the same building with my own office making 55k at 26 years old.

I was then hired by another company at 27 and the rest is history.

I take no glory myself. It is all God.

He gave it to me and honestly in a blink of an eye could take it all away.
I wasn’t trying to pry or be specific. Your earlier post was very specific regarding attributes of the insurance business. I was just curious if you’d been an agent or worked for an insurance company

I wasn’t trying to pry or be specific. Your earlier post was very specific regarding attributes of the insurance business. I was just curious if you’d been an agent or worked for an insurance company

The answer is yes.

If you have a CIC and ever do continuing ed and pick either Nashville, Louisville, etc I will try to match up the dates and we will do lunch.

Reactions: Carl Pickens

VN Store

Back