Instragram Clip of the LVs first practice under KJH

lol! You know she just briefly met them yesterday, right?
Also, have you ever met a young woman before?
That's exactly the time to be maxed out demanding. Warm and fuzzy and getting to know you comes later.

I kid you not I have never seen a promo for the team showing a basic thing as working on block outs or basic kick outs. Shouldn't be shooting anything outside the 3 pt line though until we can master consistently hitting those within 2ft of the basket.
Maybe that’s why there weren’t many 3 pointers made, they weren’t practiced from the beginning?

The personality and body language I saw from her in the short clip of the first practice didn't seem strong enough to me. Came across as too passive and accommodating. First practice interaction with the players - demand attention and accountability; players wondering what they've just gotten into; don't be so transparent; leave an air of mystery about yourself and what you might do next; be outrageous about something once or twice to expand the window of expectations; it's OK if players are initially afraid of you or how they will find their place on this team. There's time to be warm and fuzzy later.
The personality and body language I saw from her in the short clip of the first practice didn't seem strong enough to me. Came across as too passive and accommodating. First practice interaction with the players - demand attention and accountability; players wondering what they've just gotten into; don't be so transparent; leave an air of mystery about yourself and what you might do next; be outrageous about something once or twice to expand the window of expectations; it's OK if players are initially afraid of you or how they will find their place on this team. There's time to be warm and fuzzy later.
but all u saw was a 30 second clip... did you want her to be throwing chairs, screaming, and blowing whistles in a 30 second promo?? She got the whole Summer to do that!!

The exact opposite of what should have been done. You have a fragile team after what they have been through. Some have considered transferring because of the unknown. You come in as a marine drill instructor and you will lose some right away. You have to build trust, get them to the point they don't want to disappoint you, then you can push them. Push them day one and some will check out mentally if not physically. Coach K has to build her team, not blast it away.

So you were able to profile CJH so fully from a very short snippet of the very first practice. Unless you watch every moment of the practice and see how she deals with poor practice habits, you really can’t make the assessment you just made. The technique you are proposing could quickly alienate the team and put it back in prima Donna status

What happened, your interview with Phil didn't go well?

but all u saw was a 30 second clip... did you want her to be throwing chairs, screaming, and blowing whistles in a 30 second promo?? She got the whole Summer to do that!!

Guess he wanted her to bus them to Junction and take their water away.*

*ETA: Just giving you a hard time Caspian :D

Reactions: savannahfan
Eh, I wasn't all that impressed. Talking about blocking out and being good in transition is mandatory in any practice. I was more impress that EW showed up to practice with the team. The areas of Improvement I'm mostly focused on are:

1. Accountability
2. KJH play calling ability
3. KJH defensive schemes
4. KJH game management ( Timeouts, adjustments, substitutions)
5. Developing the player's skills and not relying to their athletic ability
6. Eliminating the low IQ basketball plays ( one-handed telegraph passes, going 1 on 3, shooting the ball with 10 sec left in the qt instead of holding for one shot)

We won't know most of these things until Tennesse plays 15-20 gms. But I'm fully in support of KJH.

I agree with what you say, but you seems to be a little blunt. The way I see it is: Coach is looking at, it took a little long to get that 3 off, she is a little slow on that layup, whole bunch seem just a little lackadaisical, things like this and starting to instill things like transition into the girls thought process. First good step to me.

Easing in, easing in. Will drop the hammer later. Bet on it. Will take a little time for Coach to know who to drop it on the hardest.

She knew it was being filmed for a minute Instagram post. She may have had them throwing up everywhere by the end of practice which wasn’t filmed. Unless you were there, you nor anyone else has a clue.

That's exactly the time to be maxed out demanding. Warm and fuzzy and getting to know you comes later.

I feel like that, right now, Kellie is better served by forming a tight bond with her team. She’s only just met them! Do you think the famously demanding Pat Summitt didn’t form bonds with her players, sometimes years in the making, during the long recruiting process? Long before the first practice the players on Pat’s teams knew her and had had a chance to see her warm and nurturing side. Kellie’s players had never been in the same room with her, and you think her best move was to go all hard-azz drill sergeant on them???

That would have been awful, and a huge mistake.

I don't think motivation or hustle will be issues like they were. If it is, those folks will probably ride the pine.

It's a fragile team and a brand new complex of relationships. More importantly, they are ladies and I don't think you coach female athletes in 2019 the same way you coached male football players in the 1960s. You need a different approach and it's way to early to form impressions about her approach and potential--good or bad.

I think we should all watch a while and hold our critiques until we see what Ms. Harper can do. I am hopeful.

VN Store

Back