Initial Counters Waived for 2 More Years

Oh boy. Now it gives Bama and UGA the opportunity to get even more blue chips. Is this gonna help us? Sure. But this is going to let the rich get MUCH richer.

Oh boy. Now it gives Bama and UGA the opportunity to get even more blue chips. Is this gonna help us? Sure. But this is going to let the rich get MUCH richer.

ohh good lord.

1 time could you post something positive.

This helps Tennessee and the problem Bama and Georgia will have is transfers over and over.

D-I Council waives initial counter limits in football

It appears there won't be a cap at all for the next 2 years like it was previously for initial counters and you only manage the 85 number.

This helps us continue to fill out the roster ...

They will be at 85 by the fall

It will help next cycle due to 26 seniors and then what they lose to portal. So good timing for the Vols. But man, they will be super young in 2023 unless they hit portal for 15-20 players.

This might be the last we see of annual scholarship limits. Gone for the past year...now another two years...could be gone forever. An adjustment to the new reality of the portal and college player perpetual free agency.

Going forward, could be 85 is the only number of importance in scholarships.

Go Vols!

There are only so many of them that can play. No are no 4 and 5 stars who will be happy sitting on the bench and playing 3-4 special teams plays. They won’t stay.

This might be the last we see of annual scholarship limits. Gone for the past year...now another two years...could be gone forever. An adjustment to the new reality of the portal and college player perpetual free agency.

Going forward, could be 85 is the only number of importance in scholarships.

Go Vols!

I agree with you. Think they have put in a 2 year trial while still trying to determine how to handle Portal. I expect Tennessee's roster to have between 30 and 40% turnover every year going forward. Recruiting of HS and JC players will not mean as much in the future because they will portal when unhappy. There are a few players that transferred into new schools in January that have already jumped back into the portal. Dissatisfaction took no time.

UGA and Bama still have to be at or below 85. They are not down on numbers like UT. This will help UT more than teams not are not short on numbers. Just common sense.

Not going to be an issue for them.

Alabama has lost 22 players to the portal and 9 to the NFL. 7 more graduated. They only have 5 portal coming in and signed a class of 23. Similar scenario will happen next year.

Georgia has lost 12 portal, 21 graduated with 16 so far into NFL. They have zero portal transfers coming in and signed a class of 29.

Very few teams are going to screw up their roster. They will all manage them just fine under whatever rules are established. Rest assured, these 2 teams losing players to the portal are not players they can't replace. Same as Tennessee. Our coaches are not crying over the 19 they lost to the portal.

So will the self imposed recruiting penalties that we assessed against ourselves not hurt us at all? I don't recall the actual penalties we gave ourselves but maybe it won't effect us now.

I agree with you. Think they have put in a 2 year trial while still trying to determine how to handle Portal. I expect Tennessee's roster to have between 30 and 40% turnover every year going forward. Recruiting of HS and JC players will not mean as much in the future because they will portal when unhappy. There are a few players that transferred into new schools in January that have already jumped back into the portal. Dissatisfaction took no time.
I just want the window of time in which players can enter the portal to be reduced to the offseason. I cannot stand seeing players quit their teams mid season at no penalty. That does not sit right with me at all! There needs to be a very specific begin and end date when players can enter the portal. Personally I would say open the portal the day after the national championship game is played and leave it open until the end of June. That's approximately a 6 month window, which is plenty of time.

Last edited:
I just want the window of time in which players can enter the portal to be reduced to the offseason. I cannot stand seeing players quit their teams mid season at no penalty. That does not sit right with me at all! There needs to be a very specific begin and end date when players can enter the portal. Personally I would say open the portal the day after the national championship game is played and leave it open until the end of June. That's approximately a 6 month window, which is plenty of time.
Agreed. There are windows for everything it seems. Should be a window for the portal as well. As for the initial counter deal, I say eliminate it completely. Just go on the 85 numbers. The idea that coaches will run off recruiting mistakes is already on place with the portal. Since there's no limit on how many a school can lose to a portal, the recruiting class size needs to also be fluid. The number is 85. That should be the only hard and fast number.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Agreed. There are windows for everything it seems. Should be a window for the portal as well. As for the initial counter deal, I say eliminate it completely. Just go on the 85 numbers. The idea that coaches will run off recruiting mistakes is already on place with the portal. Since there's no limit on how many a school can lose to a portal, the recruiting class size needs to also be fluid. The number is 85. That should be the only hard and fast number.
Agreed 100% . The transfer portal has made the 25 signing class hard cap obsolete.

It is a double edge sword. The Alabamas and Georgias will recruit top players. They will run off the ones that dont turn out to be great and replace them with the next potentially great player. The players they run off were high rated and will be available to develop. Tenn will be able to do the same. The teams that will be hurt the most is the lower tier schools. The portal is where higher teams can pick up players that have developed in lower tier teams. The lower tier teams become the farm system. And yes, we will cut someone that matures late and becomes a star elsewhere. In general, there are always students/players that are high achievers in high school that do not take it to the next level in college because of maturity. On the other hand there are students/players that mature mentally & physically in college and pass the higher rated. This new system will allow a better reset.

I agree with a window for Transferring. I also would like to see a limit, on how many times, a player can transfer. There is a possibility now, where a player can play, at a different school, for all 4 years.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I hope you are right but history says otherwise.

The NIL money will now incentivize these players to go where they can play and get paid instead of sitting for two years before they get their chance. They all think they could “throw it over that mountain “ if coach would just put them in. Teams will be able to keep their top 30-35 players happy because they will get the bulk of the snaps. After that, the rest are going to be looking around to see if they can get a better situation at another school.

I agree with a window for Transferring. I also would like to see a limit, on how many times, a player can transfer. There is a possibility now, where a player can play, at a different school, for all 4 years.

The transfer portal is a one time only deal. If a player wants to transfer again after that they have to sit out a year.

VN Store

Back