Info for Gameday Visitors to Knoxville

To all visitors coming to Knoxville for the first time or returning, here is a quick reference for some of the things to do and where to stay. This info has been compiled from members' posts here at VolNation.

Hotels:
(There are more hotels in Knoxville and it's surrounding areas but these are a good place to start.)
Four Points Sheraton/Cumberland House - White Ave
Hilton Downtown - W. Church Ave
Hampton Inn - W. Main St
Holiday Inn @ Conv. Center - Henley St

-->More Hotels

* If you want to stay downtown, most everywhere requires two night minimum booking.
* Turkey Creek area offers shuttle service to and from the game.

Tailgaiting and Restaurants:
Fraternity row
The Old City
Calhouns down on the river
The Roaming Gnome on The Strip ($1 drinks from 9-10)
Cool beans and Hannahs
The Copper Cellar
The Sunspot (on Cumberland)
Old College Inn
Long Branch Saloon (on campus)
Ye Olde Steak House (on Chapman hwy)
The Tin Roof (or whatever the old o'charley's is going to be)
Toddy's Backdoor is a UT landmark... 3 miles west of campus on Kingston Pike(cumberland)
Half Barrel (Solid drink specials from 4 to 10 everyday. 2.50 wells, dollar off premiums, dollar off all beers, and a special 2 dollar pint of the day plus the best 25 cent wings you can imagine)

--->It's Tailgate Time In Tennessee (Tailgating Service)
--->More Eating and Drinking

Traditions to check out and general advice:
Vol Navy next to the stadium
The VolWalk a couple hours before the game
Parade of the UT Band into the stadium
Running through the "T" before kickoff

* Get out early Friday night if you want a table anywhere.
* If you plan to tailgate stake your area out early as well.You are much better off and will have more fun if you just find an established tailgate to party with.
* Check out the river area before the game!

---> 2010 Update about Vol Walk and Neyland Stadium(News Article)

You can read up more and post questions here on existing threads:
-->Thread 1
-->Thread 2
-->Thread 3

Parking/Shuttle:
-->Campus Map(pdf)
-->Downtown/Old City Map
-->City offering free parking downtown on game days(News Article)
-->UT Football Shuttle(pdf)

Seating:
-->Virtual Neyland

Ticket Questions
-->Forum-Tennessee Vols Tickets

More General Information:
-->Welcome to Game Day at Neyland Stadium
This is a link to the official UT Athletics site, lots of info here.

Hopefully this is helpful for those coming to Knoxville, enjoy your visit and remember...

GO VOLS!!!

This is the most inclusive info available online. I so appreciate this and refer it to all our customers that Neyland from out of town!

I so appreciate this guide and we refer all our Rocky Top Gifts customers to it that are headed to Neyland for the the first time. Great job, wonderful post!

Hey guys, the wife and I are going tomorrow, didn’t know where else to post this other than possibly here. She is a breastfeeding Mom and has to pump periodically. She needs to know if she can bring a small cooler of some sort to put her milk in. I told her I doubted that she could but I figured this would be the next best place to ask. I tried calling the stadium and everything and they are closed with the holiday and all. Any info would be greatly appreciated

I wanted to bump this thread since I’m sure so many things have changed since 2009. My girlfriend got me tickets to the Georgia game so I will finally be coming back to Rocky Top after about 15 years. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I wanted to bump this thread since I’m sure so many things have changed since 2009. My girlfriend got me tickets to the Georgia game so I will finally be coming back to Rocky Top after about 15 years. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Old City and Market Square. NE of downtown and in the heart of downtown. Don’t bother with the Cumberland Avenue Strip. It’s not there anymore.

Old City and Market Square. NE of downtown and in the heart of downtown. Don’t bother with the Cumberland Avenue Strip. It’s not there anymore.
Thank you. Any hotel you recommend? I know everything is through the roof game weekends but hoping to find something somewhat reasonable and not too far from the stadium.

Thank you. Any hotel you recommend? I know everything is through the roof game weekends but hoping to find something somewhat reasonable and not too far from the stadium.

There are about 6 or 7 nice, mostly new hotels at the Papermill Road/Northshore exit only 5 minutes west of Neyland. Park downtown and hike 2 miles to the stadium or ride the red trollies for about $8/person. Or park and ride from the Civic Coleseum garage.

Even the Red Roof on Papermill is a fairly new remodel. La Quinta was built about 5 years ago. A bit cheaper options are at the I-75 exits north of downtown.

I have no idea about room pricing and availability.

We ended up getting a room at Red Roof Plus Knoxville- West Cedar Bluff because the other hotels we looked at were way too expensive for us. It says it’s about a 20 minute drive to the stadium. What is the best suggestion on how to get to the game? Should we try to Uber it or try to find a parking pass and drive? Not sure how common Uber is in that area. I haven’t been back to Knoxville in over 15 years and I’m really excited to come back.

Reactions: SmokinBob
We ended up getting a room at Red Roof Plus Knoxville- West Cedar Bluff because the other hotels we looked at were way too expensive for us. It says it’s about a 20 minute drive to the stadium. What is the best suggestion on how to get to the game? Should we try to Uber it or try to find a parking pass and drive? Not sure how common Uber is in that area. I haven’t been back to Knoxville in over 15 years and I’m really excited to come back.
uber is fine but will be expensive and maybe hard to find an available uber right when you want it. just park in Old City next to Barley's Taproom they have good drinks and great food and pay to ride the shuttle up to campus before and after the game. It picks up right at Barleys and drops you back off right there afterwards, very easy.

$20 shuttle from Farragut High School.

Football Service Options - Knoxville Area Transit

Anybody know if Smokey, the actual dog, is still touring around gameday? Its been a couple years pre-Covid, and I would like to get a picture with him and my GF before the game. I know I have seen him at Neyland's statue, but I didn't know what times he would be there or if they even still did that.

if anyone knows I would appreciate the update.

Parking in G1 garage for Vandy tomorrow. Will not arrive in town until around 12:00. Will there be road’s closed keeping me from driving straight to it? Alternate route? Normally don’t have a parking pass, just need a little assistanc. Thanks

VN Store

Back