Info for Gameday Visitors to Knoxville

Planning on coming in for the Oregon game. only staying Saturday night so I can't do the 2 night min (and $250+/night rates) of the downtown hotels. But looking a few miles out - Strawberry plains, Alcoa, airport. Is there a difference? We plan on tailgating and don't want to drive. I read something somewhere about a gameday shuttle, but is there a way to get to and from these hotels without driving yourself (?bus, cab, etc?). Any recommendations as to the best area that isn't downtown if we don't have a car?
Also, where's a good place to spend pregame? I imagine there will be lots of pregaming for the Oregon game!

Thanks, go Vols!

I'm bringing my nephew down from Pennsylvania for the opener and I know he's gonna want a lot of stuff (trying to convert him from Penn State). I'm gonna need to get some of the stuff cheap so I don't go bankrupt on this trip. Is ther a Wal-Mart close by to the campus? I know I can find a few things at a reasonable price before heading in for the game...but I don't know where the easiest one to find would be...and I'm coming in from the West if that helps.

BTW...great thread!

I'm bringing my nephew down from Pennsylvania for the opener and I know he's gonna want a lot of stuff (trying to convert him from Penn State). I'm gonna need to get some of the stuff cheap so I don't go bankrupt on this trip. Is ther a Wal-Mart close by to the campus? I know I can find a few things at a reasonable price before heading in for the game...but I don't know where the easiest one to find would be...and I'm coming in from the West if that helps.

BTW...great thread!

I'm not being a smart a$$ when I say this, but I would just use Google maps to find a location. Have fun at the game and good luck converting your nephew. ( That doesn't sound right does it? :p)

GO VOLS !!!

I know Wal-Mart has a map, but not being overly familiar, just don't know which of the locations is nearest the stadium. I'll try google. Thanx.

Gator fan coming to town for the UF-UT game....... my seats are in Z11 row 15..... Are those in the Gator section? Also, where is the best place to park at on campus?

Ok, so I thought I had this all figured out but obviously not. Going to Knoxville for our first UT game on Saturday, I moved to Nashville about a year ago and my dad is flying down for the game. What do we do for pre game festivities??

Ive heard people mention the strip, is that the same as Cumberland Avenue? Ive also read that Calhouns is the place to go, but according to the map that is not on Cumberland Avenue? When you talk about Calhouns are you talking about the restaurant itself or the parking area to set up a tailgate?

We have a hotel, but it looks like its about 5 miles from the stadium, is our best bet to drive and find a spot to tailgate or just take a cab and hit a few spots. We both plan on drinking. I just want m dad on his flight back to Minneapolis to say "that was the best football experience I have ever had" Recommendations anyone??

Thanks for all your help

Ok, so I thought I had this all figured out but obviously not. Going to Knoxville for our first UT game on Saturday, I moved to Nashville about a year ago and my dad is flying down for the game. What do we do for pre game festivities??

Ive heard people mention the strip, is that the same as Cumberland Avenue?

Yes, Cumberland Ave. between Volunteer Blvd. and 17th street. (Refer to the campus map if needed)

Ive also read that Calhouns is the place to go, but according to the map that is not on Cumberland Avenue? When you talk about Calhouns are you talking about the restaurant itself or the parking area to set up a tailgate?

I personally have never gone to the river to tailgate so I am not sure, but yes it's safe to say when people refer to Calhoun's, they're talking about the restaurant itself. (If looking at the campus map, Calhoun's will be close to the Lady Vols boathouse by the river.)

We have a hotel, but it looks like its about 5 miles from the stadium, is our best bet to drive and find a spot to tailgate or just take a cab and hit a few spots.

Some hotels offer shuttles. Call them or when you check in ask the front desk, I'm sure they could answer questions about transportation to the game.

We both plan on drinking. I just want m dad on his flight back to Minneapolis to say "that was the best football experience I have ever had" Recommendations anyone??

Thanks for all your help

Check above. I hope this helps.

First time game tomorrow, very excited - should be a good one. You guys have helped me with other travel plans and now have to prepare for gameday.

I have read through all these helpful posts and have a whole list of places and spots, but need a gameplan - we're driving from Memphis tonight, stopping in Nashville for the night (I know this isn't a nashville board but any recommendations for bars/restaurants there?), get into Knoxville tomorrow late morning. When do the festivities start? I've heard Calhouns among other places. As an out-of-towner, is it better to go to a series of bars? or easy to mingle your way into a tailgate? is it cool to buy beer and bring it to a tailgating area or..? Any help planning the day would be great. Can't wait! Thanks in advance!
-Pat

Lots of great 4-1-1 in this thread. I plan on attending one of the non conference games this year. I figure the scalpers will be easier to deal with, the weather warmer and first home game with my son an enjoyable experience.

Is there a place where I can go and check out the national championship trophies? Would be great to see.

Is there a shuttle that runs from parking area 14, the area out near the soccer/softball fields?

Is tailgating allowed in all the parking lots or only certain areas? We will eventually be making our way to Calhouns but would like to tailgate a little nearby first. Any ideas will be appreciated.We come in peace and love to tailgate around great football fans who love the same.
Thanks

Can anyone tell if its true that Cumberland Road is closed after game heading back west towards Kingston Pike? Looking at the map this doesnt seem like they would but who knows. My son and I comeing to game and I have been up that way in a while. Thanks and GBO

Hey y'all!

Big Vol fan coming in for the game this weekend!

What are best options for early tailgating & gameday traditions for a noon game? We're staying at the Hilton.

Any advice appreciated! Can't wait to come home to Rocky Top & cheer on my VOLS!

Hey y'all!

Big Vol fan coming in for the game this weekend!

What are best options for early tailgating & gameday traditions for a noon game? We're staying at the Hilton.

Any advice appreciated! Can't wait to come home to Rocky Top & cheer on my VOLS!

Welcome to the board. :hi:

Thanks! I've been to several night games, but just wondering how things are different for noon games? Do restaurants open earlier? Where's the best tailgating that early? Can we see the Vol Walk and THEN tailgate? What's in walking distance? I've just never had to fit everything in that early!

I know I have a lot of questions - just trying to plan ahead. Appreciate y'all :)

I'm making my first trip to Neyland as an adult this weekend for the SC game and was hoping you guys could help me out with some info. Where is the best place to get up to date UT gear like the rise to the top shirts? Around what time do I need to be there for the vol walk and when and where is the best tailgating location. Since its a noon game I figure I need to be out pretty early but dont want to miss any of the UT traditions.

I'm making my first trip to Neyland as an adult this weekend for the SC game and was hoping you guys could help me out with some info. Where is the best place to get up to date UT gear like the rise to the top shirts? Around what time do I need to be there for the vol walk and when and where is the best tailgating location. Since its a noon game I figure I need to be out pretty early but dont want to miss any of the UT traditions.

Vol Walk will start at 9:45. So depending on how good of a view you want you probably need to be there between 9-9:30. Check out the book store or the store inside the stadium near Gate 21 for apparel.

VN Store

Back