In your opinion, what are the biggest problems in Hollywood cinema today?

Brave Volunteer

I felt like ranting about this today so here are just a few of mine...

1.) The PG-13 rating and how every studio's desire to hit that magical rating has completely diluted the waters of grittiness in film!

2.) How the Comic Book genre has all but killed the action hero genre!

3.) The running time in films have gotten way out of hand. I miss the days when you could go see a great action film that was over in under 2 hours. Seriously is editing even a part of the movie making process anymore?

4.) How it seems that EVERY film is now made to set up a sequel or trilogy! Can't we just have stand alone films anymore?

5.) Too many damn remakes!

6.) Too many "perfect" looking actors and actresses. I realize that Hollywood has always embraced physical beauty, however the thing I love the most with a movie like Jaws is how all the actors in that film look like regular, everyday people. I wish we could see more films like that. If Jaws were made today, Chris Hemsworth would play Matt Hooper, Hugh Jackman would play Quint, Officer Brody would be played by Chris Pratt , Scarlett Johansen would play his wife, and the mayor would be played by George Clooney!

7.) I'm so tired of "complex" villains! Sometimes I just like the morality in film to be cut and dry. Bad guys are bad guys because they're simply evil mother****ers! I don't want to hear about some long complex back story that tries to explain an antagonist's psyche. Just show me they're evil. That's really all I need to know sometimes.

8.) The use of specific color palettes in movies have gotten way out of hand. What happened to just making films with a true to life color pallette? Why did Hollywood become so in love with teal and orange?

9.) Adventure films have all but gone extinct! Spielberg is still putting out amazing stuff but sometimes I kind of miss his days of making films like The Goonies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., etc. His work with the animated movie Tin Tin was probably the last solid adventure movie I remember watching.

10.) M. Night Shyamalan. The fact that Hollywood studios continue to financially support this hack blows my mind! Can someone please take this guy's crayons away from him!

11.) Director's insistence to work with the same actors over and over, regardless of whether they're right for the part or not. Hey Spielberg and Ron Howard, I know Tom Hanks is a great actor but does he HAVE to be in everything you guys direct? Hey Tim Burton, there ARE other actors out there besides Johnny Depp ya' know!

12.) Not enough 'in between' films. It seems everything is either a 200m blockbuster or a tiny oscar bait talkie. Instead of giving the Wachowski's 200m for Jupiter Ascending, they should have given 50m to four separate promising directors and writers - and let them create four original movies. There only needs to be 4-5 200m films a year, not 10+.

Last edited:
1. They are making 10x the movies they used to make, which inevitably means there are more blockbuster POSs.

2. Blockbusters are so expensive, nothing gets made unless it has a pre-existing following.

3. TV has better budgets than in the past and more screen time than movies to develop good stories. A lot of serious writers have abandoned movies to write premium TV.

Reactions: Jackcrevol and SWIL
The best films are typically independent or from smaller studios now. Hollywood caters to the lowest common denominator now; same as music or prime time TV. Big corporations chasing money not progress

1.) The PG-13 rating and how every studio's desire to hit that magical rating has completely diluted the waters of grittiness in film!

I somewhat agree with this. I also feel like there aren't enough plain PG movies anymore that are entertaining for the whole family.

As a comic book fan I couldn't disagree more. The technology to bring these characters to life has just hit it's stride and I for one will ride it put.

Plus action movies like Bond, Fast and Furious, The expendable. The Bourne series etc still thrive in today's market.

3.) The running time in films have gotten way out of hand. I miss the days when you could go see a great action film that was over in under 2 hours. Seriously is editing even a part of the movie making process anymore?

Some what agree here. 3 part 3 hour epics like Hobbit are just too long. However there are times I feel like a story needs room to properly develop. 2 hours is about the max though.

4.) How it seems that EVERY film is now made to set up a sequel or trilogy! Can't we just have stand alone films anymore?

6.) Too many "perfect" looking actors and actresses. I realize that Hollywood has always embraced physical beauty, however the thing I love the most with a movie like Jaws is how all the actors in that film look like regular, everyday people. I wish we could see more films like that. If Jaws were made today, Chris Hemsworth would play Matt Hooper, Hugh Jackman would play Quint, Officer Brody would be played by Chris Pratt , Scarlett Johansen would play his wife, and the mayor would be played by George Clooney! [/QUOTE]

4) Been this way since probably the 80s.
5) yep
6) b
Been going on forever. FTR Chris Pratt was pretty average looking dude before getting ripped for GotG.

7.) I'm so tired of "complex" villains! Sometimes I just like the morality in film to be cut and dry. Bad guys are bad guys because they're simply evil mother****ers! I don't want to hear about some long complex back story that tries to explain an antagonist's psyche. Just show me they're evil. That's really all I need to know sometimes.

Never gave this one much thought. I guess you have a point.

8.) The use of specific color palettes in movies have gotten way out of hand. What happened to just making films with a true to life color pallette? Why did Hollywood become so in love with teal and orange?

I hate Zach Snyder too.

9.) Adventure films have all but gone extinct! Spielberg is still putting out amazing stuff but sometimes I kind of miss his days of making films like The Goonies, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., etc. His work with the animated movie Tin Tin was probably the last solid adventure movie I remember watching.

I think a lot of this can be chalked up to the fear of losing money. Audiences prefer the familiar.

10.) M. Night Shyamalan. The fact that Hollywood studios continue to financially support this hack blows my mind! Can someone please take this guy's crayons away from him!

There are worse directors out there but he lost his mojo pretty quick after Unbreakable.

11.) Director's insistence to work with the same actors over and over, regardless of whether they're right for the part or not. Hey Spielberg and Ron Howard, I know Tom Hanks is a great actor but does he HAVE to be in everything you guys direct? Hey Tim Burton, there ARE other actors out there besides Johnny Depp ya' know!

I don't really have a problem with this. Kinda like a good HC and QB. Sometimes they just know each other so well they get the performances out of each other.

12.) Not enough 'in between' films. It seems everything is either a 200m blockbuster or a tiny oscar bait talkie. Instead of giving the Wachowski's 200m for Jupiter Ascending, they should have given 50m to four separate promising directors and writers - and let them create four original movies. There only needs to be 4-5 200m films a year, not 10+.

Hadn't really thought about this much either. To some degree I think the 200m budget has just become the new 80m of a decade ago. Plus it's all about competition.

Hollywood can't come up with original ideas anymore.

The real problem is they can't market the original ideas to make enough money. The general audience is just as much to blame for that one.

I agree with a lot of your points, but at I feel the one about the villains was probably a response to criticisms about 15-20 years ago that villains were too one dimensional. I think it's just a case of the pendulum swinging back the other way.

As for M. Night, I don't know, my guess is producers still think he has a great movie in him and keeping hoping he has a comeback in him. His last movie was actually decent and if he builds from that, he could come back.

Gonna disagree with you here. I like the concept of complex villains. i.e. Loki from the Marvel Universe, Verbal Kint/Keyser Söze from "The Usual Suspects", the Joker in "Dark Knight", Hans and Peter Gruber from the Die Hard series just to name a few. Bad guys you knew are evil, but weren't your overbearing cliche of what a bad guy was supposed to be. They made you like them in spite of being the bad guy.

The more interesting and complex the villain, the better it makes the movie IMO.

Reactions: vader and Godfatha
Gonna disagree with you here. I like the concept of complex villains. i.e. Loki from the Marvel Universe, Verbal Kint/Keyser Söze from "The Usual Suspects", the Joker in "Dark Knight", Hans and Peter Gruber from the Die Hard series just to name a few. Bad guys you knew are evil, but weren't your overbearing cliche of what a bad guy was supposed to be. They made you like them in spite of being the bad guy.

The more interesting and complex the villain, the better it makes the movie IMO.

I guess it depends on the movie/character. I think one example of what I had in my mind when I posted was the original Halloween VS the Rob Zombie remake. In the original movie, we just know that something in young Michael Myers snapped and he killed his sister. IMO that's all we NEEDED to know. I didn't really think it was important to understand young Michael's background and environment to somehow make sense of it. In the Rob Zombie re make we are subjected to an over the top cartoonish portrayal of young Michael's home situation where he's living with ridiculing rednecks and a stripper mom. To me NONE of that was important and basically it prolonged the movie about 30 minutes beyond what it should have been. Sometimes I think it's better to leave a little mystery for the movie goer to imagine for themselves what happened IMO. However in today's climate directors treat movie goers like idiots and try to hand-hold them through the entire movie.

Last edited:
1 why does every horror movie now have to done like paranormal activity

2 no suspense in horror movies now

3 no true comedy's anymore . Most are eather romantic comedy's or collage comedies

4 no remake of monster squad

I guess it depends on the movie/character. I think one example of what I had in my mind when I posted was the original Halloween VS the Rob Zombie remake. In the original movie, we just know that something in young Michael Myers snapped and he killed his sister. IMO that's all we NEEDED to know. I didn't really think it was important to understand young Michael's background and environment to somehow make sense of it. In the Rob Zombie re make we are subjected to an over the top cartoonish portrayal of young Michael's home situation where he's living with ridiculing rednecks and a stripper mom. To me NONE of that was important and basically it prolonged the movie about 30 minutes beyond what it should have been. Sometimes I think it's better to leave a little mystery for the movie goer to imagine for themselves what happened IMO. However in today's climate directors treat movie goers like idiots and try to hand-hold them through the entire movie.

I understand where you're coming from. And in the horror movie genre, I can agree. But overall, the watcher needs to be into the bad guy somewhat to get them into the film. If it's just an archetypical bad guy that kills someone (or many someones) and you know is bad, well, ho-hum. Think of your classic 80s action movie villains. Ho-hum, they're bad, killed folks, big fight in the end, good guy wins and kills bad guy. Next...

But you take a bad guy like the Joker from the Dark Knight with some depth. You want to know why he is bad. What set him off? What made him completely crazy and want to do bad things? And you keep hanging on to figure out why.

Or John Doe from Seven. You really want to know why he is doing what he is doing. (and the involuntary mind-blowing shudder at the end of that particular movie)

Overall, some depth of character of your villain is needed. Provided they can go overboard from time to time, but you need some hook for the audience to get into the characters.

I like complicated villains. You know what villains I really hate? Effeminate psychopaths and/or capitalists trying to take over the world...like every old Bond movie. So dumb and there is no basis in reality.

Hollywood's 6 Favorite Offensive Stereotypes | Cracked.com

Yep, that's one reason I hate Avatar so much. The greedy business man and crazy, arrogant military types in that movie are so cookie cutter and one dimensional, it's crazy.

6.) Too many "perfect" looking actors and actresses. I realize that Hollywood has always embraced physical beauty, however the thing I love the most with a movie like Jaws is how all the actors in that film look like regular, everyday people. I wish we could see more films like that. If Jaws were made today, Chris Hemsworth would play Matt Hooper, Hugh Jackman would play Quint, Officer Brody would be played by Chris Pratt , Scarlett Johansen would play his wife, and the mayor would be played by George Clooney!

Excellent post! I def agree about the pg-13 rating. They're all just playing to the middle bc that's where the audience ($$$) is. Has really watered down modern films.

One thing that will ruin a movie faster than anything is a thinly-veiled (or blatantly unveiled) political preaching theme or message. Too dang much politics in movie-making these days. Just tell a story and leave the politics out.

The formula today is to use popular actors, lots of special effects and just enough plot to keep people from walking out of the theatre. You then create a great preview video and blast that on all the networks. You will make money.

No one demands anything more so why should they provide it. I got sucked into seeing The Martian because of the hype. The beginning was pretty good then they just rushed thru the rest, which is typical nowadays . It was OK but I feel asleep before the muddled ending.

A .50 cent popcorn costs $11? Smallest coke size must be carried with 2 hands? WTF! My concession charge was more than my ticket?

Needlessly complicated plots, gratuitous deaths, protagonists that you loath, and way too much Francis McDoormand.

in other words, a Cohen brothers film

Reactions: Godfatha

Today? Covid

Does anyone remember the build up the movie companies did for Blair Witch? I remember driving home in a car from VA to FL and can't remember what magazine it was but there was a picture of the movie and it had the writeup of background of the Blair Witch and how some film kids went on a search for it and filmed it. They were never seen again but the camera footage was found. Then, a few weeks later I saw the trailer for it and was just hooked. I saw the movie in the theatre and really had no idea it was fake (don't judge, I was like 18 at the time, LOL). I remember thinking the movie was so crazy and couldn't believe they found the footage....Fast forward like 2 weeks later and I saw the 3 characters on the Today Show or something like that and I remember thinking WTF!!! I was so let down, LOL.

What I'm getting at is that you don't see that sort of buildup for a storyline anymore. It's simply the trailer, or multiple, and then the movie and then rinse and repeat. I did really enjoy that buildup back in the day.

VN Store

Back