‘23 IN TE Sam West (Indiana commit)

What does the 247 article say on him

"It seems like they have an underrated program, and they are trying to build something big with the new staff," said West, who's ranked by 247Sports as the No. 92 wide receiver in the 2023 class and the No. 8 junior from the state of Indiana.

"I have been in contact with Coach Golesh and Coach Taylor. I was previously committed for baseball, so, when I opened my football recruiting, we have been in contact more now. But I am excited to get a feel for the university and the program. I’m also really looking forward to watching them play Ole Miss in a night game. It will be an awesome environment."

West claims to have been timed at 4.69 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to his Twitter and Hudl accounts.

"They just like my height with my ability to move and my hands," he said of the Vols. "And, of course, once I get to college, I’ll put on weight to be able to play (tight end)."

Also a right-handed pitcher, West posted a video on his Twitter account in February that showed him throwing a pitch during a workout that he said was clocked at 92 mph. But despite his previous commitment to play baseball at Alabama, he said he's now shifting his attention to football. He announced his decommitment from the Crimson Tide on Sept. 27.

"I definitely want to play football," he said. "There’s a possibility of (playing) both, but most likely just football."

"I mean, I’d never been to anything in the SEC. They say everything’s bigger down there, and I think it was true,” said West, who added an offer from Indiana on Sunday after visiting the Hoosiers on Saturday for their game against Ohio State.

“I went to the facilities and everything was amazing. And then I talked to (offensive coordinator Alex) Golesh before the game. It was awesome. Obviously, a sold-out crowd, the checkerboard — it was an awesome experience at the game. I mean, I liked everything about it. I liked the people that I talked to down there.

“I mean, that was the first time meeting him in person,” West said of Golesh. “We just talked about what I did before and that my dad and my uncle were with me, and we just talked about the game. I talked to Coach Taylor — (graduate assistant) Jack Taylor — and then Coach (Alex) Fagan. I was with them kind of a lot throughout the day. …

“They use their tight ends in many different ways, and I feel like that’s something that, I’m just a good athlete that they want to develop into a tight end. So I think that would fit me well, just being able to be versatile, being able to catch the ball if I need to, being able to block and just doing whatever they need me to.”

“I think, especially for baseball, there’s a big appeal to people in the SEC. It’s just a bigger conference and, historically, their conference puts more guys into the next level than any other conference, so I think it’s just a different ballgame down there in the South.”

“My whole dad’s side of the family is big Ohio State fans,” he said.
callahan

VN Store

Back