In state recruiting.

Depends how we play this year. For certain, the bigger middle TN gets in population is going to attract more attention, so competition will get more intense. That's ok if we get "ours". If we handle our stuff this year on the field, bringing in the TN boys we want won't be a problem...not that we won't lose one here or there to other schools...happens to every team.
Many of these mid-Tenn boys you speak of are not Tennessee kids to began with. They have moved in from other states. They have no allegiance to UT Knoxville or any other in-state school.

Many of these mid-Tenn boys you speak of are not Tennessee kids to began with. They have moved in from other states. They have no allegiance to UT Knoxville or any other in-state school.
You're correct, but at least the puppies are in the TN box and there's a bigger opportunity for the UT brand loyalty. If Nashville is like Charlotte, a large percentage of folks moving in are from north of TN, which means they didn't necessarily grow up a fan of rival SEC school.

I look at it like this; they might not have roots here, but they'll eventually establish them and the home state school is going to mean at least something to them if we're even halfway decent. A lot of Georgia's recruiting advantage is that one of the largest metro areas in the nation -- that continues to grow in population -- is an hour away. Obviously Atlanta gets hit by everyone and given the transient nature of the city, you'll never have a proper home field advantage, but it still is helpful. There's more fish in the sea to catch, so to speak.

Nashville can be that for us, basically.

Reactions: savannahfan
I agree and we definitely pulled some talent from out of state as well. I guess I was a little surprised to see the way the in-state recruiting board turned out.
Why Tennessee fans are the best negative recruiters for their school on the planet.

Really .. you asked that ... we cant keep the est players in state ? And dont say we didnt want them .. we wanted all of them ...
Get the best players thst want to play for Tennessee. It does NOT matter where they come from. We got a 5* from GA that played for the national championship last year. Best players....not best TN players.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Really .. you asked that ... we cant keep the est players in state ? And dont say we didnt want them .. we wanted all of them ...
You're obviously trolling, but I'll play.

Who would you rather have?
Lance Wilhout (#1WR-TN) 94 rating, signed with Oregon
Ramel Keyton (#1WR-GA) 95 rating, signed with Tennessee
------
Matt Bedford (#1OT - TN) 85 rating, signed with Indiana
Wanya Morris (#1OT-GA) 99 rating, signed with Tennessee
------
Kaveon Mullens (#1 ATH - TN) 89 rating, signed with South Carolina
Quavaris Crouch (#1 ATH - NC) 97 rating, signed with Tennessee
------
Rush Lansdell (#1 S - TN) 83 rating, signed with UTM
Jaylen McCollough (#2 S - GA) 93 rating, signed with Tennessee

I could go on and on. But you're not going to stop trolling anyway.
On the off chance you really didn't understand. Now you do.

Butch Jones made it clear to him recruiting this state was hit top priority. We all saw how that worked out.

Landed some that helped us quite a bit in ‘14 and ‘15 classes. Missed big time on some top talent in ‘17 class making big impacts elsewhere.

Points to be made on both sides. It would have been nice to land Bill Norton and/or Joseph Anderson in this class. An argument can certainly be made that Pruitt mishandled Anderson's recruitment. But at the end of the day, you have to trust the staff to pursue players that fit their system. Not every player is going to be a fit.

Would I have liked to have landed Hampton? Of course, but there's no guarantee he's even going to play football. He could easily choose the baseball route. And let's not forget some TN kids let their egos get in the way by refusing to camp. There's room for improvement when it comes to in-state recruiting, but don't let that blind you to the fact this staff is more committed to chasing the best players in the country rather than just the best players in TN.

Points to be made on both sides. It would have been nice to land Bill Norton and/or Joseph Anderson in this class. An argument can certainly be made that Pruitt mishandled Anderson's recruitment. But at the end of the day, you have to trust the staff to pursue players that fit their system. Not every player is going to be a fit.

Would I have liked to have landed Hampton? Of course, but there's no guarantee he's even going to play football. He could easily choose the baseball route. And let's not forget some TN kids let their egos get in the way by refusing to camp. There's room for improvement when it comes to in-state recruiting, but don't let that blind you to the fact this staff is more committed to chasing the best players in the country rather than just the best players in TN.
Yup.1545501215417.gif

Reactions: SweetasSoda
It will be better next year. In-state recruits need to realize just because they are ranked high and it is their home state school they dont blindly get a scholarship. If they are not willing to come camp and show the coaches their ability in person then we shouldnt give them a scholarship/recruit them.

You're obviously trolling, but I'll play.

Who would you rather have?
Lance Wilhout (#1WR-TN) 94 rating, signed with Oregon
Ramel Keyton (#1WR-GA) 95 rating, signed with Tennessee
------
Matt Bedford (#1OT - TN) 85 rating, signed with Indiana
Wanya Morris (#1OT-GA) 99 rating, signed with Tennessee
------
Kaveon Mullens (#1 ATH - TN) 89 rating, signed with South Carolina
Quavaris Crouch (#1 ATH - NC) 97 rating, signed with Tennessee
------
Rush Lansdell (#1 S - TN) 83 rating, signed with UTM
Jaylen McCollough (#2 S - GA) 93 rating, signed with Tennessee

I could go on and on. But you're not going to stop trolling anyway.
On the off chance you really didn't understand. Now you do.
I agree withe you there but UT tried very hard with Bill Norton, Kane Patterson and the Washington kid and a couple more ... so I agree there were some in top 15 that UT didnt go after .. but there were some .. maybe we will get what we want after a successful year .

How concerned should we be that the vast majority of in-state talent chose out of state schools in Pruitt’s 1st year?

We're so screwed!

giphy.gif

Reactions: LittleVol
One thing with this staff, if you balk on coming to camp or at least work out they likely will pass on you. Some of this year's senior class did that, even though I think a few would have ended up at UT had they camped in Knoxville

I agree withe you there but UT tried very hard with Bill Norton, Kane Patterson and the Washington kid and a couple more ... so I agree there were some in top 15 that UT didnt go after .. but there were some .. maybe we will get what we want after a successful year .
Washington never came to camp. Neither did wilhoite. We never really pushed for Patterson even when he decommitted from OSU.

Norton is the only one of the three you mentioned that we pushed for and prioritized.

VN Store

Back