In state recruiting.

Dooley did not emphasize building in-state relationships. That was a pretty well known (and well publicized fact in the TN HS community). That would explain that in Dooley's last class, only 1 in-state guy with more than 2* (per Rivals) was signed. Butch did a much better job of building those relationships. You were right, both Dooley and Butch were losers.

I'm not going to make a grand statement on in-state recruiting after this cycle; however, if 2-3 years from now, we are still stuck in the middle of the SEC pack while other programs are developing those relationships in the rapidly growing Metro Nashville area, then its fair to revisit it.

I remember the stories about how Dooley and staff treated some of the in-state programs. It burned me up! 😡

I believe Coach Pruitt knows better and would not tolerate it from his staff.

Most coaches don't want to offer in-state recruits unless they are positive they are ready to take their commitment. This is because pulling a scholarship offer late in the process is a sure way to kill a good relationship with the in-state school.

Coaching at Bama and GA, Coach Pruitt was used to slow playing in-state talent and offering them later in the process since BAMA and GA kids were enamored with the in-state school and would usually flip back if offered late. I think Pruitt learned the hard way this season that in-state TN kids are NOT enamored with TN and feel disrespected if not offered early.

I'm guessing Pruitt may adjust his in-state recruiting strategy next year.

We got hammered in state ... Only getting 2 the top 15 in state ... Wow ... Embarrassing ... We wanted more like 10 of those 15 ... At least ... LSU .. GEORGIA .. OREGON .. CLEMSON .. coming in and taking the cream of the crop .....

I agree. Hopefully, Pruitt and Co are developing strong relationships with the in-state programs because those friendships/relationships are extremely vital; especially when your program is down.

DDooley didn't think so. ask Von Bell.

DDooley has done pretty good for himself.

oh, wait.

We got hammered in state ... Only getting 2 the top 15 in state ... Wow ... Embarrassing ... We wanted more like 10 of those 15 ... At least ... LSU .. GEORGIA .. OREGON .. CLEMSON .. coming in and taking the cream of the crop .....

Well ... You see ... Georgia ... got 3 ... of that state's ... top 20 ... so I guess ... their recruiting efforts ... were embarrassing ... as well .....

Zion Logue, Maurice Hampton, Bill NOrton are the only 3 we really pushed for that we didn't get. and Logue said we were too late. which is funny cuase he committed to GA who offered him 2 or 3 days before we did. stuff happens.

i'll worry about in state recruiting at the end of hte next cycle.
We lost top 2 recruits in our state, again. We aren't a talent rich state like GA, FL, we can't afford for these kids to go elsewhere. Especially rivals. I guess we can be like Oregon, but in the end, we gotta wall off this state, regardless. Build the Wall. Make TN Great Again.

I think you will see the staff improving their relationships with coaches all across the state. When you are dealing with high expectation, the staff must have a high level of trust and belief in what the HS coaches say about players. I think that is the reason why CJP wants to evaluate prospects in camp where he can better judge a player's talent level. Hard to argue that.

Reactions: Jabruzar
We lost top 2 recruits in our state, again. We aren't a talent rich state like GA, FL, we can't afford for these kids to go elsewhere. Especially rivals. I guess we can be like Oregon, but in the end, we gotta wall off this state, regardless. Build the Wall. Make TN Great Again.
Hampton and Norton, we were just late on. Both had relationships built with LSU and UGA prior to Pruitt getting here. Logue, that was just weird.

Lampley, gray, akpro, McBride... We got them. We didn't pursue the other 4 very hard...otey, Washington, wilhoite and Knox. I think Knox may have been a take later on, but he wasn't that high on the board.

Like I said, much better crop overall in 20. I think we'll see a bigger ***us this cycle.

Reactions: SugarCC
It’s like expecting all Tennessee Titans to be from Tennessee...

It’s a business nowadays...kids go to schools that can help them to the next level...coaches recruit kids that fit systems...

Allegiances aren’t what they used to be...

I think you will see the staff improving their relationships with coaches all across the state. When you are dealing with high expectation, the staff must have a high level of trust and belief in what the HS coaches say about players. I think that is the reason why CJP wants to evaluate prospects in camp where he can better judge a player's talent level. Hard to argue that.

100% agree with this. Also, Pruitt will need to be able to trust that these HS coaches are giving Tennessee a fair shake and not steering kids to other schools.

How concerned should we be that the vast majority of in-state talent chose out of state schools in Pruitt’s 1st year?
How concern were you when Fulmer lost Dant'e Hightower to Bama. and Randell Cobb to Kentucky. They were pretty good. Pruitt will get the job done. It takes time to build it back.

Tennessee's in-state talent has improved.
But think about this.

- Was there a Wanya Morris in TN?
- A Roman Harrison??
- A Warren Burrell??
And Jerrod Means is more talented than ANY in-state wr this year.

We're getting good in-state guys. It's when we lose Tee Higgins Von Bell Jaylen Ramsey Cade Mays type players that there's a problem! And...that wasn't the case this year...

How concerned should we be that the vast majority of in-state talent chose out of state schools in Pruitt’s 1st year?

I would be more concerned if they landed at Vandy. At least they are saying, hey the top state school is struggling so we'll just leave.

It does bother me a little to have a lowly program like South Carolina that has only been slightly better than the Vols the last 5 or 6 years get a couple.

In state recruiting isn’t everything and you can’t get everyone you want. Ultimately, we have to trust that Pruitt has a strategy for how he wants to build his team and that he can execute on that strategy.
Yes. But you should be able to get the ones you want.........in a perfect world

Why is it embarrassing?

I am going to base my optimism that we have a COACH, not a person to get football sanctions, a history buff, or a circus barker, but a coach. Go Vols!

check back in say three years and let's review each and every one of those in question. Gonna guess a couple will look better than those we took in their place..

What I would like to know is how many of these guys ever wore orange stuff growing up, or prioritized watching our games in their younger years. We ought to have an advantage if locals showed them how to be a VOL.... Very few kids I knew during my North Alabama living and working years did not wear UA or AU stuff unless they had a stronger tie to another school... just about had to declare one way or the other.... some houses were split.... but they had colors...

GA has plenty of talent in state to go around. TN does not. Its simple as this, we are the flagship program in TN, we should be batting .500 or so with in state SEC caliber recruits. We are currently not meeting that metric. We are not back until we do.

VN Store

Back