In-state Committments

rockydoc

UT already has 9 verbal committs from in the state of Tennessee. This is higher than usual and if they get Sykes it would be ten. I heard Majors say once that usually were only about eight D1 prospects per year.

I'm of the opinion that Tennessee is becoming competetive with other Southern states (exception Florida and Texas) in turning out good recruits. And I attribute this to 1) a growing population (more population than Alabama, Louisiana, S.C., Miss, Ark, Ky.) 2) having a pro team (Titans) while not necessarily beneficial to UT, helps turn more interest in the younger kids to go out for football.

I think it's very important for our coaches to maintain a good rapport with the high school programs in the state so these kids grow up to be Vol fans.

Any thoughts?

I don't think the pro team has much (if anything) to do with it. Population somewhat... but mainly it is better coaching and increased focus by some high schools.

i love our recruiting class this year because of all the instate talent we signed. I think this will help us in the future and show the kids who think they are overlooked by UT to stay instate.

thanks to the coaching staff on landing a solid, solid class. GO VOLS!

UT is not even close to Louisiana in terms of D-1 Talent.
This is also not an average year for D-1 instate prospects, while things have improved to where there may be 12 prospect on average. It is not much better than a decade ago.

UT may get Sykes but he is JUCO bound

Population growth goes hand in hand with expansion in the number of programs (new schools), although the building of new schools generally lags behind the need. Youth football participation also plays a role. I have often been told that the number of Jr. high and JV programs is very lacking in this state. Don't know if that's a fact or not.

Florida turns out a high number due to population but La, Ga, and SC are probably all better per capita. I have lived in Ga, SC, NC, and IL. Except for NC they are all solid recruit sources. SC plays the best HS football that I've seen especially considering its small population.

VN Store

Back