'20 IN FB Charlie Spegal (Indiana commit)

Christian McCaffrey was a top 100 prospect out of high school? Is this situation only similar because they are both white?
Lmao was thinking the same.

This kid is not going to be an NFL MVP candidate.

Sorry. He's an excellent football player. Probably will have a good career somewhere if he plays his cards right. Bring him on as a PWO if the kid wants in. But a scholly? C'mon man. Some fans will talk themselves into anybody.

Lmao was thinking the same.

This kid is not going to be an NFL MVP candidate.

Sorry. He's an excellent football player. Probably will have a good career somewhere if he plays his cards right. Bring him on as a PWO if the kid wants in. But a scholly? C'mon man. Some fans will talk themselves into anybody.
And some fans will talk themselves out of almost anybody that doesn't have a 5* or 4* next to their name.

And some fans will talk themselves out of almost anybody that doesn't have a 5* or 4* next to their name.

Not worth a scholarship and 9 chances out of 10 if he comes here will be practice depth. Hope he has a lot of success wherever he ends up.

If this guy signs with us he will be as exciting to me is Channing Fugate was years ago. I still wish that Dooley and Chaney had made more of an attempt to work Fugate into the offense, but fullbacks in the offense of today are dinosaurs. I guess maybe I just have an overly simple mind, but I just can't see that the modern day H-back and all that kind of stuff is an improvement over the old way of doing things.

If this guy signs with us he will be as exciting to me is Channing Fugate was years ago. I still wish that Dooley and Chaney had made more of an attempt to work Fugate into the offense, but fullbacks in the offense of today are dinosaurs. I guess maybe I just have an overly simple mind, but I just can't see that the modern day H-back and all that kind of stuff is an improvement over the old way of doing things.
Thing about is we do use a FB in goalline and heavy packages. They said yesterday that I think it was Bumphus as a FB In a heavy package trying to get a first down on 4th and short. Whoever it was it was a defensive player, and I was thinking man Charlie would be a Hoss for us in those packages. I really hope we get him PWO ot straight up scholly. You can tell he would help us win games.

I bet you’re not the only person questioning the new way of doing things today. I’m sure Saban’s mind is racing

Good piece on Spegal from a year ago...

At 5'10" and 225 pounds, Charlie is not a prototypical running back. In fact, by designation, he is not a running back at all. Charlie is listed as a fullback, a position that is extinct in some places and endangered in plenty more. Slowly but surely, given the increasing emphasis on passing across all levels of the sport, the fullback is being eliminated. But Charlie isn't a typical fullback. For starters, he is the team's primary offensive weapon and one of the most productive offensive players in the country. He also runs a 4.6 40-yard dash that complements a 575-pound squat and a 420-pound bench press. He is an athlete, albeit a different kind of athlete. Rather than run around or past you, Charlie would prefer to run through you.

..."If we're standing here in 1988, or 1998, he's probably one of the top recruits in the country," New Palestine head coach Kyle Ralph says. "He would've probably been one of the most sought-after kids in America. But the game has changed, and apparently what people are looking for has changed." Despite his season, attention has been slow to follow. Those who have watched him closely over the past year know what they just witnessed. "It was almost like watching someone play Madden on easy mode," says Brian Heinemann, who covered Spegal and New Palestine for the Greenfield Daily Reporter.

..."He's not your prototypical style or look for a tailback or a running back," Ralph says. "He's a ball-carrier. That's what he does." These are not Reggie Bush's high school highlights reimagined. Charlie does not have the dazzling speed coveted by programs around the country. This is something different—something that feels as though it's from a different era. It is straightforward, deliberate and wildly successful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11.25.19: Ralph said Spegal is better than he was in 2018, when he rushed for 3,356 yards and 68 TDs...Spegal dropped 12 pounds, and “then we built him back up to around 225.” ...Ralph said Spegal gets better as the game moves forward. “There is a lot of value in his carries later in the game. It’s tiring to try to tackle him 26, 28 or 30 times a game. He’s shifty, and he’s good side to side. There isn’t a lot of flash. He makes good reads.”

...Colleges haven’t warmed to Spegal yet. He’s viewed as a fullback, and that position is almost extinct at the next level. He has offers from Army and Indiana State, according to Ralph. He expects that will change after the season. “When he puts the pads on, there is something different about him,” Ralph said. “He doesn’t get slowed down by pads or contacts. His opening 10 or 20 yards (on a run) is what he is best at.”
‘What a tremendous athlete’: New Palestine’s Charlie Spegal, the all-time career rushing leader in Indiana, looms for Valparaiso’s defense in the state final

Last edited:
Not worth a scholarship and 9 chances out of 10 if he comes here will be practice depth. Hope he has a lot of success wherever he ends up.
............................. He broke the all-time Indiana state rushing record by 2,757 yards... the excess that he broke the record by would qualify for the 23rd best season ever in the state of Indiana!

10,867 yards... 122 rushing TDs just in his Junior and Senior seasons... New Palenstine has won 28 straight games in a row riding directly on this kid's back... 2 consecutive Class 5A State Titles

Valparaiso put NINE people in the box in the state championship this past weekend... 23 carries, 160 yards... "Not worth a scholarship" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How many highlight reels have you seen with this many long runs. He is a player.
he's the kind of runner that works best if you give him the ball 30 or 40 times a game.I don't know whether any of coach in the country is willing to invest that kind of usage in a running back.

............................. He broke the all-time Indiana state rushing record by 2,757 yards... the excess that he broke the record by would qualify for the 23rd best season ever in the state of Indiana!

10,867 yards... 122 rushing TDs just in his Junior and Senior seasons... New Palenstine has won 28 straight games in a row riding directly on this kid's back... 2 consecutive Class 5A State Titles

Valparaiso put NINE people in the box in the state championship this past weekend... 23 carries, 160 yards... "Not worth a scholarship" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You're probably right and every D1 staff in the country except for Army, where a career comes with mandatory service, is wrong.

He won't be big enough to be a fullback here, and he won't be agile enough to beat out Gray or Hodge or whomever we recruit in the next couple of years.

Every year there are these lower rated players that we look at either to fill out the class or as potential PWOs. Every now and then the scholarship ones kinda work out, like a Jordan or it looks like Tillman will. The PWOs the vast majority of the time are never heard from again, and if they are (Kendrick, Jumper) it's because the program is not in good shape. I mean look at Means. Low 3 star, everyone including me liked his speed and length, and he's seen the writing on the wall and entered the portal today.

If our program is on the trajectory we hope it's on, lower rated kids to fill out the class will become less and less frequent. That's not to say we won't have one every now and then exceed expectations. But if we're gonna be an annual contender to win the East and pull twenty 4 and 5 stars each class, I don't think PWO candidates coming in and making an impact is something we should expect to see.

You're probably right and every D1 staff in the country except for Army, where a career comes with mandatory service, is wrong.

He won't be big enough to be a fullback here, and he won't be agile enough to beat out Gray or Hodge or whomever we recruit in the next couple of years.

Every year there are these lower rated players that we look at either to fill out the class or as potential PWOs. Every now and then the scholarship ones kinda work out, like a Jordan or it looks like Tillman will. The PWOs the vast majority of the time are never heard from again, and if they are (Kendrick, Jumper) it's because the program is not in good shape. I mean look at Means. Low 3 star, everyone including me liked his speed and length, and he's seen the writing on the wall and entered the portal today.

If our program is on the trajectory we hope it's on, lower rated kids to fill out the class will become less and less frequent. That's not to say we won't have one every now and then exceed expectations. But if we're gonna be an annual contender to win the East and pull twenty 4 and 5 stars each class, I don't think PWO candidates coming in and making an impact is something we should expect to see.

Lol Tillman? You realize Tillman was on Scholarship from day 1 right? Also, Jerrod Means sustained an injury during the year. Maybe that has something to do with his Transfer.

VN Store

Back