Imagine this SEC East scenario

Vfl2407

It’s quite possible that 5 eastern teams could finish in a tie with 5-3 records.
What if the Vols, Gators, Bulldogs, Tigers, Gamecocks all finish 5-3, UK 3-5, Vandy 0-8.
It’s admittedly very improbable, but looking at the standings, it is possible.

SEC Football Clubhouse - Latest Headlines, Standings, Schedule, and Leaders

What if After all of the leagues tiebreakers, there’s still a few teams tied and the western division teams Presidents vote for Tennessee to represent the East in Atlanta.
Just chew on that sitcheeashun for a spell.

It’s quite possible that 5 eastern teams could finish in a tie with 5-3 records.
What if the Vols, Gators, Bulldogs, Tigers, Gamecocks all finish 5-3, UK 3-5, Vandy 0-8.

What if After all of the leagues tiebreakers, there’s still a few teams tied and the western division teams Presidents vote for Tennessee to represent the East in Atlanta.

It would be fun but we’d just be a punch line in a joke. I’d rather make fun of Georgia getting the vote for sucking the least

Reactions: 08Vol and 82_VOL_83

So your saying there is a chance. What if the vols win out Espn would hate us for sure.

Reactions: mickey1969

I’m not entirely sure where you’re getting that aspect of the scenario from. Here’s how the SEC tiebreakers work after the bowl and CFP changes of 2014...and there’s not a vote option noted in any of those steps:

Three-Team Tie (or more):

If three teams (or more) are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order: (Note: If one of the procedures results in one team being eliminated and two remaining, the two-team tiebreaker procedure as stated in No. 1 above will be used):

A. Combined head to head record among the tied teams;

B. Record of the tied teams within the division;

C. Head to head competition against the team within the division with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non divisional) and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place);

D. Overall Conference record against non divisional teams;

E. Combined record against all common non divisional teams;

F. Record against the common non divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non divisional) and proceeding through other common non divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and

G. Best cumulative Conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents (Note: If two teams' non-divisional opponents have the same cumulative record, then the two-team tiebreaker procedures apply. If four teams are tied, and three teams' non-divisional opponents have the same cumulative record, the three-team tiebreaker procedures will be used beginning with 2.A.);

H. Coin flip of the tied teams with the team with the odd result being the representative (Example: If there are two teams with tails and one team with heads, the team with heads is the representative).

SEC Divisional Tie-Breaker

I’m not entirely sure where the “presidents voting” part is coming from...unless you’re maybe thinking of the pre-2003 SEC division tiebreakers?

Reactions: 08Vol
I’m not entirely sure where you’re getting that aspect of the scenario from. Here’s how the SEC tiebreakers work after the bowl and CFP changes of 2014...and there’s not a vote option noted in any of those steps:

I’m not entirely sure where the “presidents voting” part is coming from...unless you’re maybe thinking of the pre-2003 SEC division tiebreakers?

My bad.
I think I was thinking about the original tiebreaker rules that involved the other divisions Presidents as the last resort.
Thanx for the update.

It would be cool, but my expectations now I just want to see progress each week at this point haha

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
So you’re saying we gotta finish 6-2 in the SEC to have a chance. 😏

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

Wasnt that the Big 12? The year that Mike Leach had Michael Crabtree at texas Tech and the Big 12 division on Oklahoma Texas Tech and Texas was all jumbled and if the tie breaker after highest bcs standings if any were in top 25 would be presidents vote?

One win over MSU got you to thinking that? You are feeling your oats from one semi significant win. Let's see what happens Saturday.

Reactions: Bigun and 08Vol
Never would I have imagined that a win over a mediocre-at-best Mississippi State team could spark such optimism.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I didn't think any of this is serious.

Is anyone taking this seriously?

Here’s how it would happen.
Vols lose to Bama, beat USC, UK, MU, VU. 5-3
MU Loses to UGA, UF, UT, beats VU, UK. ARK 5-3
UF loses to USC, UGA, beats VU, MU. 5-3
USC loses to UT, beats UF, VU,TAMU. 5-3
UGA loses to Aub,TAMU, beats UK, UF, MU 5-3

The first tiebreaker is "Combined head to head record among the tied teams." In the scenario you've proposed, it would play out as follows:

UT: 2-2 (W: USCe, MU; L: UF, UGA)

MU: 1-3 (W: USCe; L: UGA, UT, UF)

UF: 2-2 (W: MU, UT; L: USCe, UGA)

USCe: 2-2 (W: UGA, UF; L: MU, UT)

UGA: 3-1 (W: UF, MU, UT; L: USCe)

The end result of that would be UGA winning the divisional tiebreaker; it would not go into any further tiebreakers following the first one.

And that is where you lost me. Georgia will adapt.

VN Store

Back