I'm in Quarantine...

Milehigh_Vol

As some of you all know I am a traveling teacher most years in various countries, last year I finally decided to settle down and get a full-time teaching job in the states.
This choice has changed my life in more ways than one, less travel, less stress, fewer interactions with different social backgrounds, this being said I love the change for the most part.

One thing that I did not expect was Covid and the life around teaching online (Not an issue in 3rd world countries), this has been fun because I am a nerd, but the mess with different information on what we can and cannot do has driven me insane.
I know this is a difficult time for all parties involved, but teaching in person is the best way to educate students..

All this being said.... DO NOT BRING YOUR KID TO SCHOOL SICK, EVEN IF YOU THINK ITS JUST A COLD OR SINUSES FROM TEMPERATURE CHANGE... I have had a kid sick in my class for two days last week, then another kid got sick.. Tested positive for Covid.. Thus putting me and everybody else in quarantine. I now have to teach from home while waiting for a test that could place me in my house for another 10 days..

Other than that, I have picked up new hobbies from being stuck in the house, I learned this new thing called "cleaning"... Its crazy how much of it you can do, always a new spot to clean. I would pick up this thing called "cooking" but that requires me to go buy groceries of which I cant.

I also decided to learn how to edit video using Davinci Resolve, that has been very fun. I am going to learn photo editing next using Gimp, kinda like Simp, but it doesn't cost you anything.. :)

This being said, I will enjoy watching this week's game from quarantine and finally being able to cheer on the Vols.

GO VOLS AND GOD BLESS.

Any hobbies you can recommend?

First off let me say thank you for being a teacher and hope everything is good with you, your class and the students. Okay now I'm gonna be "that guy"......My son started kindergarten this year and If we keep him home every time he had a little runny nose then he'd never go to school thanks to allergies or the common cold. I understand what your saying but in my reality and I'm guessing a lot of other parents reality that just isn't possible to keep him home every time he has a runny nose. What grade do you teach? Again, thanks for being a educator and hope everything works out for ya!

P.S.: Your on your new hobby...lol....We're getting ready to play a little football so jump in the football and Endzone areas and enjoy your "down time"!

As some of you all know I am a traveling teacher most years in various countries, last year I finally decided to settle down and get a full-time teaching job in the states.
This choice has changed my life in more ways than one, less travel, less stress, fewer interactions with different social backgrounds, this being said I love the change for the most part.

One thing that I did not expect was Covid and the life around teaching online (Not an issue in 3rd world countries), this has been fun because I am a nerd, but the mess with different information on what we can and cannot do has driven me insane.
I know this is a difficult time for all parties involved, but teaching in person is the best way to educate students..

All this being said.... DO NOT BRING YOUR KID TO SCHOOL SICK, EVEN IF YOU THINK ITS JUST A COLD OR SINUSES FROM TEMPERATURE CHANGE... I have had a kid sick in my class for two days last week, then another kid got sick.. Tested positive for Covid.. Thus putting me and everybody else in quarantine. I now have to teach from home while waiting for a test that could place me in my house for another 10 days..

Other than that, I have picked up new hobbies from being stuck in the house, I learned this new thing called "cleaning"... Its crazy how much of it you can do, always a new spot to clean. I would pick up this thing called "cooking" but that requires me to go buy groceries of which I cant.

I also decided to learn how to edit video using Davinci Resolve, that has been very fun. I am going to learn photo editing next using Gimp, kinda like Simp, but it doesn't cost you anything.. :)

This being said, I will enjoy watching this week's game from quarantine and finally being able to cheer on the Vols.

GO VOLS AND GOD BLESS.

I've had to learn DaVinci for a consulting job I have. Took a while to get the hang of it, but a pretty cool program once you get it. I narrate the video and use audacity to create MP3s that I use in Davinci.
Getting fluent in some of this open source stuff is pretty amazing. When covid first hit, the Vol Network played something like 8 or 9 classic broadcasts. I downloaded and used audacity to chop out the ads and archived them in my audio collection.

If you are bored, here's my favs so far:
gimp
audacity
davinci resolve (not open source)
youtube-dl
ffmpeg
lame

I call these my workhorses. Love it. If you have a favorite, please share.

First off let me say thank you for being a teacher and hope everything is good with you, your class and the students. Okay now I'm gonna be "that guy"......My son started kindergarten this year and If we keep him home every time he had a little runny nose then he'd never go to school thanks to allergies or the common cold. I understand what your saying but in my reality and I'm guessing a lot of other parents reality that just isn't possible to keep him home every time he has a runny nose. What grade do you teach? Again, thanks for being a educator and hope everything works out for ya!

P.S.: Your on your new hobby...lol....We're getting ready to play a little football so jump in the football and Endzone areas and enjoy your "down time"!

Thank you for your kind words. I teach 6th grade right now, I understand PK-3 grade. The chances of infection is very low.

I can't wait for football.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
I've had to learn DaVinci for a consulting job I have. Took a while to get the hang of it, but a pretty cool program once you get it. I narrate the video and use audacity to create MP3s that I use in Davinci.
Getting fluent in some of this open source stuff is pretty amazing. When covid first hit, the Vol Network played something like 8 or 9 classic broadcasts. I downloaded and used audacity to chop out the ads and archived them in my audio collection.

If you are bored, here's my favs so far:
gimp
audacity
davinci resolve (not open source)
youtube-dl
ffmpeg
lame

I call these my workhorses. Love it. If you have a favorite, please share.

I have loved Davinci so far, what is youtube-dl?

I have loved Davinci so far, what is youtube-dl?
youtube-dl can pull audio and video from youtube. If you want an mp4 of a youtube , it'll load it locally. I'm not sure youtube agrees, but I use it to pull mp3 audios from a show so I can listen to it in the car. Podcasts and radio shows. I also stick a video on a memory stick and play from the USB on my TV, and it doesn't record ads. Worth a look.

Reactions: Milehigh_Vol
youtube-dl can pull audio and video from youtube. If you want an mp4 of a youtube , it'll load it locally. I'm not sure youtube agrees, but I use it to pull mp3 audios from a show so I can listen to it in the car. Podcasts and radio shows. I also stick a video on a memory stick and play from the USB on my TV, and it doesn't record ads. Worth a look.

Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words. I teach 6th grade right now, I understand PK-3 grade. The chances of infection is very low.

I can't wait for football.
Taught 7th for a few years. Teaching high school now and hopefully will never look back

Thank you!
note.. I made a batch file to load up the links and download. They update the executable on a regular basis, thinking they may be reacting to changing youtube functionality. I just went to the site to download and it wasn't available a few minutes ago.. It'll be back. Not sure if you are familiar with dos batch files..
I use this one a lot:

@echo on
:start
set /p LINK=Enter link for youtube
@echo on
youtube-dl --sub-lang en -o %%(title)s.%%(ext)s --verbose --recode-video mp4 %LINK%
pause
cls
goto start

There are a ton of switches you can add to tweak the output. More than my brain can hold, but well documented on their site.
I know this seems like a lot, but I use this a BUNCH..

Taught 7th for a few years. Teaching high school now and hopefully will never look back

I have always taught high school, I was at the high school last year. I got moved to the middle school this year. Not a big deal for me so far, besides covid..

I have always taught high school, I was at the high school last year. I got moved to the middle school this year. Not a big deal for me so far, besides covid..
Huge difference for me. But then I went from inner city to rural

GO VOLS AND GOD BLESS.

Walking if you feel you need to improve fitness. Hopefully if you practice social distancing that will be allowable

Good luck to you, milehigh. One was at 101.3 when he came to my room today. That wasn't the first class either. I'm still not sure what went down before he came to mine.

I bought the license for a program called Movavi screen recorder. I use Bandicut for cutting and splicing. I just save everything as mp4 with Movavi. I like it.

Good luck to you, milehigh. One was at 101.3 when he came to my room today. That wasn't the first class either. I'm still not sure what went down before he came to mine.

I bought the license for a program called Movavi screen recorder. I use Bandicut for cutting and splicing. I just save everything as mp4 with Movavi. I like it.

We are not even screening temps at my school, which I think is a mistake, but oh well.

Good luck to you Milehigh_Vol. I teach middle school social studies (in our unit, that's 6th-8th grades).

We are in a rural community and have been pretty fortunate so far. There has been an increase in our positive numbers throughout the county since school started back in mid-August, but that's was expected. Believe it or not, we are still in regular classes, five days a week (with an e-learning option). I'm amazed that we've lasted this long, but things could change tomorrow.

Fwiw, I'm with you. I would much rather teach in person, and if most students were surveyed, I believe they would prefer learning the same way.

Again, all the best to you and GBO!!

Little-known snippet:

Less than 50% of children with actual CV infection have fever.

Oh, I know, but it still 50% more than we are catching now. I'm not freaking out over COVID, I am more talking about the displacement of students from a learning environment because of possible carelessness and we have to follow state and government guidelines.

Reactions: Rishvol
Good luck to you Milehigh_Vol. I teach middle school social studies (in our unit, that's 6th-8th grades).

We are in a rural community and have been pretty fortunate so far. There has been an increase in our positive numbers throughout the county since school started back in mid-August, but that's was expected. Believe it or not, we are still in regular classes, five days a week (with an e-learning option). I'm amazed that we've lasted this long, but things could change tomorrow.

Fwiw, I'm with you. I would much rather teach in person, and if most students were surveyed, I believe they would prefer learning the same way.

Again, all the best to you and GBO!!

Yeah, I wish we had enough money to really spread out the students with more teachers, but that will never happen.

VN Store

Back