Illinois Fires Lovie Smith

Volfan1000

Per CBS Sports and Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell is among the potential head coaches to replace him.

I think this could be a great job for him. Chicago is right there to recruit out of. Fickell already has deep ties in Ohio.

Illinois has always felt like a team that just needs the right person and they could be a solid program.

Reactions: Rockytoptalker
I think this could be a great job for him. Chicago is right there to recruit out of. Fickell already has deep ties in Ohio.

Illinois has always felt like a team that just needs the right person and they could be a solid program.
I think long-term he would be better served staying at Cincinnati, but if he wants to create a legacy at a Power 5 program (And take home a larger paycheck) Illinois is the place to do it. Certainly won’t be easy for whoever ends up there.

Reactions: BUBear and UTwild82

Illinois has problems getting quality basketball players from Chicago and isn't known for producing football talent. It would be a death wish on his part if he took that job IMO.

Illinois has problems getting quality basketball players from Chicago and isn't known for producing football talent. It would be a death wish on his part if he took that job IMO.
I wonder why they are having issues getting solid ball players from Chicago? I know they used to have a great bball program.

I guess my thought was if Fickell can keep his Ohio pipeline open and get some solid players from Chicago area (I know it's not like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston etc, but surely with millions of people there's have to be some good players there) could win that division (which is trash) a lot. Upset Ohio St in CG once in a blue moon. Plus its a fanbase 7 wins is good enough. And B1G teams have cash to spend so he could work himself into a situation where he could be making 5 or 6 million a year there and not have crazy expectations.

But if Fickell is holding out for a blue blood, can't blame him for staying out for thr time being.

VN Store

Back