If you're not listening to the Swain Event, you're missing out.

Exactly; this idea that the last 2 coaches inherited far better conditions than Pruitt is pure revisionist horses***.

If you remember Majors was hamstrung worse than anyone in the modern era. He was walking around Gibbs Hall in 1977 wondering where the football players were staying. One of our defensive tackles back then weighed
214 pounds, Pert Jenkins of Elizabethton. Battle definitely left the cubbard bare and look how long it took him to turn things around.

People responding to a particular style of leader = the power to change people. Examples are prominent in history. Look at what Adolph Hitler was able to do to an entire population of people to the detriment of humanity. Leaders can change the hearts and minds of men and women for better or worse. If you don't see this, you've not lived on this planet. So to claim a coach can't change the outlook of his players is silly and that's what you initially claimed.

I agree that they can change the outlook of players. I wouldnt agree that they change everyone or they get everyone to buy in.

Last edited:
He did> When he said it though, it didnt seem like he was saying it was a LARGE group but maybe 6-8. The problem is that these guys are the more senior players and therefore should be on the field more than new guys. All it takes is for one or two on each side of the ball to slack a bit and boom the opponent extends their drive, makes the catch, etc.

Also he said the amount of vitriol on twitter, etc from fans to players is not good for recruiting. He thought this should be something the team takes care of internally. He didnt give the coaches a free pass on the game but basically said the locker room stuff is best handled by the players themselves and that they need to lest these slackers mess up everyone's opportunity.
Yeah. Nothing could be any stupider than harassing players on social media unless your goal is to hurt the program.

Can't do much about that now, can we?
Certainly can. Win a freaking game or two against teams you are supposed to be better than. Then win a game or two against teams that are better than you.

That has more impact on recruiting then anything fans say or do. And the fans will become a plus if the coach would do his job and put a team on the field that looks like they give a damn.

Reactions: Titan05
Dear CJP, play with the guys who want to win. If you lose the game, at least lose it with the guys fighting to win. Get rid of the cancers, stuff spreads and unfairly makes the whole team look and feel sick.

You need to be corrected on that. He, himself personally said he doesn't know who the best linemen are and that's why all the shuffling around is going on during a game. That doesn't make sense to a lot of us but I guess it's the Pruitt way. I'll be glad when he settles on a starting line-up myself and I think the players will too. I think this is confusing them.

I agree with that. That wasn't what I was responding to. I was responding to someone thinking he might not be played the best players. If he doesn't know who it is, yea he's going to play a bunch. But honestly, they should know who the best players are from Fall practice. I think they were just treating it like an additional scrimmage and trying to create more competition.

Need to get Gray and Chandler in space. BYU is slow on the edges and in the secondary. They have some strong guys on the interior. We would be better served not to attack there until later in the game. They wore down pretty bad vs. Utah in the second half when Utah gashed them.
We couldn’t gash GA State. Unless we come out with fire and energy, we won’t gash BYU wither.

Reactions: Titan05
"Fan Police": Hard to understand why anyone would not be in "show me" mode right now. I've been there since Pruitt was hired. I support him, the players and our AD. Not on the "fire Pruitt" bandwagon. BUT, all my goodwill was used up on Dooley and Jones. Show me we're on the right track and give me some reason for optimism. Until then, golf is my Saturday sport. Looking forward to basketball season.

Reactions: maotai
Tennessee needs to stop worrying about hiring the "right fit" (clearly we're not good at it), and resign itself to hiring the coach that can and has done more with less. Mike Leach would have been a great hire. At this point, a few 7,8,9 win seasons would be a welcome change and is a goal Mike Leach is well capable of.

People say that 7,8,9 win seasons would be a welcome change, but the last two 9 win seasons we had left plenty of people complaining

Lol. So if Leach is so good, then why hasnt he landed a big time gig at a big time school? Look at the list of schools that have had job openings in the past 5 years:

OU, UF, PS, FSU, UGA, LSU, Miami, Texas, VT, UCLA, Nebraska, TAMU, Yet not one hired him.
Look what he's done at WSU. Doubt even Saban could have fared that well in that remote part of the USA. If you don't think Leach is FAR better than Pruitt right now, you need to work on your view of reality. Leach would have put 50 on GSU with this Vol team.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
"Fan Police": Hard to understand why anyone would not be in "show me" mode right now. I've been there since Pruitt was hired. I support him, the players and our AD. Not on the "fire Pruitt" bandwagon. BUT, all my goodwill was used up on Dooley and Jones. Show me we're on the right track and give me some reason for optimism. Until then, golf is my Saturday sport. Looking forward to basketball season.

They're not in the show me mode because Fulmer hired him. Nothing else.

Any other AD had hired this clown they would be calling for his head too.

They're not in the show me mode because Fulmer hired him. Nothing else.

Any other AD had hired this clown they would be calling for his head too.

Would you have been happy with Schiano? Fulmer prevented that fiasco. Too early to call for his head or Pruitt's.

Saban lost to a very bad UAB team 4 games into the season his first year at LSU and then lost to UF 41-9. Saban inherited a much better team than Pruitt has: Josh Booty(Jr) and Rohan Davey (Jr) at QB, Josh Reed at WR, Bradie James and Trev Faulk at LB, Dominick Davis and Devery Henderson at RB, along with some big offensive and defensive linemen. Not saying Pruitt can get it done, but it's a little too early to be calling for his head. Pruitt inherited a real dumpster fire with very little OL and DL depth/talent. He's put together a talented group of OL, DBs and LBs that will be very good. The major questions are: Can he get the OL to perform to their promise and can he get a DL that can stuff a run game regularly (won't happen this year, probably not next either)? If he can, he could be successful next year and have a breakout year in '21(but, he'll have an inexperienced QB). In any event, we're going to see Pruitt on the Vols' sideline thru 2020. So, show me. Until he can, I'll save most of my emotional capital and all my money when it comes to Vols football.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Would you have been happy with Schiano? Fulmer prevented that fiasco. Too early to call for his head or Pruitt's.

Saban lost to a very bad UAB team 4 games into the season his first year at LSU and then lost to UF 41-9. Saban inherited a much better team than Pruitt has: Josh Booty(Jr) and Rohan Davey (Jr) at QB, Josh Reed at WR, Bradie James and Trev Faulk at LB, Dominick Davis and Devery Henderson at RB, along with some big offensive and defensive linemen. Not saying Pruitt can get it done, but it's a little too early to be calling for his head. Pruitt inherited a real dumpster fire with very little OL and DL depth/talent. He's put together a talented group of OL, DBs and LBs that will be very good. The major questions are: Can he get the OL to perform to their promise and can he get a DL that can stuff a run game regularly (won't happen this year, probably not next either)? If he can, he could be successful next year and have a breakout year in '21(but, he'll have an inexperienced QB). In any event, we're going to see Pruitt on the Vols' sideline thru 2020. So, show me. Until he can, I'll save most of my emotional capital and all my money when it comes to Vols football.

Fulmer didn't prevent Schiano from being hired? And no I wouldn't want him anyway.

No way Saban lost to UL Monroe, GTFOH with your BS!

Look what he's done at WSU. Doubt even Saban could have fared that well in that remote part of the USA. If you don't think Leach is FAR better than Pruitt right now, you need to work on your view of reality. Leach would have put 50 on GSU with this Vol team.
And be would have put 50 on the Vols with that GSU team. Either way, with either team, really. Just what He does.

Funny how nobody can give a legit answer to my question. The only thing most can do when talking about Leach is bringing conjecture into it. Kind of what I expected.

This post deserves much more likes. Well said.

Pruitt can always play underclassmen that want to see the field and bench the upperclassmen that don't care. We are already taking lumps so it doesn't even matter right now.

I say play the younger ones, and put the jr's and seniors on notice that are not buying in. You want to play here you buy in to what we are doing, and if they are better because of seniority you can play the next game, it is up to them if they want to play or not at that point, if they don't buy in to the program they don't play. But I just feel like that many of them would buy in if they were given this choice.

VN Store

Back