If you could change any UT football game outcomes that we could have/should have won, what would they be?

I remember 2004 Auburn well. I was nine and I had never seen Tennessee lose before in person. I though Tennessee was semi invincible until then. All those are good ones, one that really crushed my soul was 2015 Florida/ Oklahoma.
I was a freshman at UT and that was also my first time watching UT lose in person.

I used to think the exact same thing! But then I thought had we played in the NC game that might have bought Fulmer one extra year and we would be one extra year in this mess!

Then I thought had he had one more year, we may have gotten a better replacement than the one we got the year before!

I believe if that 2001 SEC Championship game had been won, UT football fortunes would have been vastly different. With Henderson and Haynesworth on the DLine...i feel confident the Rose Bowl would have been ours for the taking.. 2 NCs in 3 years..5 star recruits would have been lining up.

I remember being so pissed at Vol fans walking around with roses pre-game like we were a shoo-in.

It made it embarrassing to walk out with LSU fans asking where our roses were now..🤬🤬 I still think that game should have been won but knew then LSU wouldnt be a pushover.

Anyhow, IMO that single game changed the fortunes of the program and for CPF...a d here we are today still suffering from the fall-out.

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
You could actually place the blame for all the last 15 years of misery at the QB sneak against Notre Dame. Erik Ainge was never, ever the same for whatever reason. I actually admire a lot of what Rick Clausen was able to accomplish when under center -- but he never really should have been there. Without that play, 2005 never happens. Without that play, we maintain stability. Hambone can't be emboldened to hire Daddy Kiffin and Joey Freshwater. We play for the SECE every three years. Maybe the magic happens with Tajh Boyd in UT orange instead of Clemson.

People would still complain. Saban would still be Saban but we would have won a few - may have even been the roadblock for a couple of their runs. The QB sneak against Notre Dame has been the butterfly effect for Tennessee football. If I could change one play - that would be it especially having seen the last 17 years.

You could actually place the blame for all the last 15 years of misery at the QB sneak against Notre Dame. Erik Ainge was never, ever the same for whatever reason. I actually admire a lot of what Rick Clausen was able to accomplish when under center -- but he never really should have been there. Without that play, 2005 never happens. Without that play, we maintain stability. Hambone can't be emboldened to hire Daddy Kiffin and Joey Freshwater. We play for the SECE every three years. Maybe the magic happens with Tajh Boyd in UT orange instead of Clemson.

People would still complain. Saban would still be Saban but we would have won a few - may have even been the roadblock for a couple of their runs. The QB sneak against Notre Dame has been the butterfly effect for Tennessee football. If I could change one play - that would be it especially having seen the last 17 years.
First it wasn’t a QB sneak, he was sacked on the play. I guess that Fulmer is the responsible for his own demise. Given the fact that he is the one that decided to run a play from Tennessee’s own 32 yard line with nine seconds left in the half, while leading by 3.

First it wasn’t a QB sneak, he was sacked on the play. I guess that Fulmer is the responsible for his own demise. Given the fact that he is the one that decided to run a play from Tennessee’s own 32 yard line with nine seconds left in the half, while leading by 3.

While I’m not and never have been a Fulmerite, he was correct in his example of why he called that play. He stated the James Banks Hail Mary against Florida just before halftime as the reason for calling that play.

I agree with the first quote. However, at best, we would have been in the same situation as Georgia was with Richt.

There are plenty outcomes of games I’d like to change, but I prefer to look ahead instead of focusing on the rear view mirror. Listing past failures only make me sad and there’s plenty in recent history to do that without dwelling on lost games from many years ago. I hope we have a winning season in 2021. Not much else matters!

Reactions: OneVolNation
In the last 5 years, that game that went to OT vs TAMU with the 7 or 8 turnovers in '16 and then the last second loss by the UF hail mary the next season.

In the last 5 years, that game that went to OT vs TAMU with the 7 or 8 turnovers in '16 and then the last second loss by the UF hail mary the next season.
I think about our wins of yester years and how some of the larger wins were due to the turnover ratio.

Reactions: OneVolNation

VN Store

Back