If you are going to burn the clock….

kxtop

Just score. 18 point lead with two minutes to go is a lot better than 11 with 1:20 to go.
Our defense was terrible!! We had better grow up over the next week! The defensive coaches need an ass chewing this week with results! Vols had better reexamine its late game time management this week as well!! Great win, obviously it should have been by a much larger margin!!

JoAllan

Idk why we didn't kick the FG to go up 14
Don’t “know” however the figure they believed…..time and being safe was more important than 3 points.

Turns out that was correct.

Personally, I would rather have seen Tennessee stay in their normal O most of that last drive. However I’m cool with the turndown of the field goal (get a block and scoop anything could happen).

HoopCreekVol

Our defense was terrible!! We had better grow up over the next week! The defensive coaches need an ass chewing this week with results! Vols had better reexamine its late game time management this week as well!! Great win, obviously it should have been by a much larger margin!!
So many guys slipped through their grasps.

VolArmy74

There's one situation where you don't take points late with the lead. You're up one, with under 30 seconds to go and it's downs 1-3 and the only way the other team can possibly get the ball back for any shot at all is if you score. Otherwise always take the points. You can't beat someone by too many points but you can sure as hell have too small of a lead.

OrangeTsar

Alabama delenda est
To be fair, people would criticise for not running the clock off more.

I agree though, the d couldn't stop us. But we won. Eff it.

Go Big Damn Vols
No
I will trade 7 points for 2 minutes any darn day!!! Trying to play cutesy games with the clock is a Butch Jones trait.

LookoutVol

If they went three and out passing, everyone would be saying they need to learn how to run the clock down at the end of games.

Imagine Hooker tosses a pick six or fumbles on a sack. People would have lost their minds.

I think they played it right. But the defense was too soft on the TD drive before the on side kick

Jauan't Some?

They don’t think it be like it is, but it do.
No
I will trade 7 points for 2 minutes any darn day!!! Trying to play cutesy games with the clock is a Butch Jones trait.
I do seem to remember people wondering why we couldn’t burn clock and salt games away lately. I think they have their answer. This offense has one speed.

Last edited:

roberthunter

Quiznatodd Bidness
Once we were in a position where a first down essentially ends the game you have to prioritize that. The math does not support going ultra conservative there. Pick up the first down and end the game on your terms.

But going for it on 4th and not attempting a 47 yard field goal was the right choice. A first would have ended the game. A long field goal still leaves Florida in a position where they need two scores.

Vol865

You don’t risk a block and return for TD because it wasn’t a chip shot. They started with 1st and 5 and couldn’t get a 1st down-get one first down and it’s over.
It was a 47 yd FG. Not a chip shot but well within his range, and I think it's less of a risk to stretch the lead to 14 than give them the opportunity to get a TD, 2pt, and a FG. Or in this case, a TD and way too close to another Hail Mary TD that would've gave them a 1-3 pt lead

VN Store