If We End Up 8-5, Do We Lose Assistants?

If you hire the right people... there's always a chance you lose them to a better opportunity.

Where the team is now, the two guys you can't lose are Chaney and Pruitt. Chaney is the O. Pruitt is the D. The other guy who would really hurt is Neidermeyer because of recruiting. The others are very, very good coaches. None are irreplaceable.

I'd love to see us keep them all for a few more years for the consistency and recruiting as we claw our way back up into the top 10 again.

I know this probably won't happen but we can all dream and pray that it happens.

I hope Fulmer will get up off the $$$$ to keep the coaches that Pruitt really wants to keep.

$$$$$ speaks louder than most anything else.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I think the silver lining to our mediocre season where we didn't exactly meet expectations is that we'll not be pilfered for coaches

Tee Martin's gonna get another OC offer somewhere. Hopefully not this year.
Recent failure there at USC is still fresh and Graham Harrell’s impressivel debut doesn’t allow for blaming the talent.

Yes......not sure where I lost you in that.

I'm not lost, I'm right here.
You made the statement "Chaney" was satisfied being an OC, I'm sure he is.
My point was, he left Ga as OC to come to Tenn and be OC. No reason he might not leave to go to FSU or bama etc to be OC.

The original question I believe was , would an 8-5 season mean Tenn losses assistants. NO.
6-6,7-5,8-5 etc makes no difference. Coaches make moves every season and I'm sure we'll see some turnover in Knoxville, might be Pruitt's decision or it might be the assistant decision to move on. It's the nature of the bizz

I wish to hell people would leave Chaney s weight alone. He is a big man. Get over it. A lot of people involved with football are big people.

Another team.
Unless it’s a higher profile team, it’s not a promotion. Based on recent experience, which heavyweight opens the coffers for him to call plays? He’s at his alma mater and the AD is his former HC...I’m not worried.

I think Chaney is the same type of coach as Veneables or Bud Foster, just content to be a highly paid coordinator.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken he has the best win% a HC could ever hope for... 1.000. It could only go downhill from there.

We have to get someone in here who can recruit middle TN better than what we've seen since Pruitt was hired. The one part of the state where we've done better is Memphis and west TN is going to be pretty much irrelevant in 2021 when it comes to elite prospects. I don't know who you get rid of but we have to have a change there. Hopefully, east TN recruiting will self correct when we start winning more as it seems like the elite east TN prospects we have missed out on recently aren't going far away but just want to play for a contender.

We have to get someone in here who can recruit middle TN better than what we've seen since Pruitt was hired. The one part of the state where we've done better is Memphis and west TN is going to be pretty much irrelevant in 2021 when it comes to elite prospects. I don't know who you get rid of but we have to have a change there. Hopefully, east TN recruiting will self correct when we start winning more as it seems like the elite east TN prospects we have missed out on recently aren't going far away but just want to play for a contender.

Frankly I'm shocked at how low we are ranked in recruiting in CJP's 2nd full class. I didn't think we'd be top 5 or anything but I figured with the staff of "Ace" recruiters that we have, we would consistently be hovering around the top 10. Of course this class may look much different on signing day and I'm not pushing the panic button. However it is a bit surprising to me at this point.

If Ansley hits his stride nxt season and puts out a great defense Bama will come calling most likely. He was an ace assistant there and they’ll be shopping for coordinators again.

Chaney is the strongest lock if there were such a thing. He turned down a raise to come here to coach at Tennessee.

Weinke could be going back to the pro level. I hope that he stays considering the work he’s put on over the last months

Tee Martin, to me, is the 2nd thing closest to a lock. He’s already got a shoe in the door to follow Chaney whenever he decides to call it. His work with the WR much like the aforementioned coach has shown over the last month.

Neids is a front runner for a higher position and has the highest percentage not to return next season. He’s an ace recruiter and he won’t want to coach TEs forever.

Rocker: If there were a man who’d be a high percentage to be replaced it would be him. The line play just simply hasn’t been there. His group isn’t producing at a high level like I believe Pruitt wants.

Rumph and Sherrer: I believe they’ll return to coach the same positions. I like what I’ve seen from this group and I think they both have progressed enough over the season to be brought back. I’m interested to see what they do with ToTo after Bituli leaves the group.

David Johnson: I think this is the highest risk of looking elsewhere. I believe he had offerings last off season. With what we have returning I think we can fill this position rather quickly with a solid coach who fits Pruitts vision.

Ole Will: While his efforts won’t go unnoticed through the season I believe he’s earned a pass. The pass blocking has progressed enough to be satisfactory but let’s be real here he’s got 3 5s, a 4 and a 3 upfront. Hard not to find success with that grouping. I think we all need to see major improvements in run blocking for Friend to see extended time as Tennessee’s OL coach. Witn Trey potentially headed to the draft I want to see how he fills the spot and keeps momentum moving forward.

Keep an eye on the mess in Cleveland. Seems Pruitt has a buddy up there and he may or may not be looking for a job come seasons end.

Stay tuned....

I think Rocker has done a credible job of developing what he had, but recruitment for the 2020 class at that position hasn't been very good. As someone else posted his Contract expires 1/31/20 and IMHO if he's retained he will have to pick it up on the recruiting trail. This is assuming position coaches recruit their coached position.

I'm not lost, I'm right here.
You made the statement "Chaney" was satisfied being an OC, I'm sure he is.
My point was, he left Ga as OC to come to Tenn and be OC. No reason he might not leave to go to FSU or bama etc to be OC.

The original question I believe was , would an 8-5 season mean Tenn losses assistants. NO.
6-6,7-5,8-5 etc makes no difference. Coaches make moves every season and I'm sure we'll see some turnover in Knoxville, might be Pruitt's decision or it might be the assistant decision to move on. It's the nature of the bizz

The part I was replying to was why he hasn't been a HC which I thought was obvious to everyone that saw Veneables and Foster's name. Welcome back from being lost.lol I'm with you on the part of him being an OC and moving around.

VN Store

Back