If someone had told me.....

That we could go into a game without Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, then lose Jaylin Hyatt in the 1st quarter, then give up 27 points in the 2nd quarter, then have Jabari Small and Joe Milton knocked out in the first half, have 150 yards in penalties and lose the turnover battle 3-0, have a touchdown called back on special teams, but still have a chance late in the 4th and only lose by 7.... I would have said they were crazy. And yet, that is what happened today. We didn't deserve to win because we beat ourselves in too many facets of the game, BUT they showed fight under immense adversity and that's something to build on going forward. I hate losing, but hopefully this game helps them win 2-3 other toss-up type match ups this season.
Your right there is some optimism that we didn’t fold in the 2nd half but our schedule still means we are going to have a long season with at least 3 blowouts if not more.

That we could go into a game without Cooper Mays and Tiyon Evans, then lose Jaylin Hyatt in the 1st quarter, then give up 27 points in the 2nd quarter, then have Jabari Small and Joe Milton knocked out in the first half, have 150 yards in penalties and lose the turnover battle 3-0, have a touchdown called back on special teams, but still have a chance late in the 4th and only lose by 7.... I would have said they were crazy. And yet, that is what happened today. We didn't deserve to win because we beat ourselves in too many facets of the game, BUT they showed fight under immense adversity and that's something to build on going forward. I hate losing, but hopefully this game helps them win 2-3 other toss-up type match ups this season.

1000% accurate.

Crazy thing is with the injuries and TN shooting themselves in the foot time & again, they very well may have won the game with competent officiating.

Reactions: onevol74
Great post, and I agree with everything you said. I saw some really good things today along with the bad. A lot of inconsistency in rhythm with the offense and defense, but they never quit! You can add Byron Young as an MIA today as well. It was good to see Hendon Hooker breath life into the team and the fans today! We were close to pulling a win, but had a few too many missed opportunities. Pleased with a lot we did. We need to just keep working!
I didn't mention Young because we've heard great things, but haven't had the fortune of seeing him in action yet.

Don’t worry, we will throttle little sisters of Tennessee tech next weekend and everyone will be back to talking about how we are gonna go into the swamp and win.

If Hooker had not came in they would have been blown out and that was not a choice of the coaches . I hope he stops trotting JM out and let him learn as the back up.

Reactions: onevol74 and Alto1
Far be it for me to be the hopeful type, however, this loss was no surprise to me. With the offseason circus that went on this year, I expected this game to be a loss. I was not able to watch today, had other stuff I had to do at the time. But based on the recap you provided? Hard to win with all those negatives. Of course, I am sure plenty of folks on here are picking apart what they see as a way to pull the game out despite all that had they been on the sidelines or up in the booth calling plays.

I need to actually tune into the replay to see if I agree with you or not. But going sight unseen with only your conclusions, I am glad the score came out the way it did. Should be interesting to see how the team adjusts this week.
Milton missed wide open deep shot after deep shot in the 1st quarter which would have allowed us to possibly put the game away early. I honestly just want to see a competitive team that grows each week this season. My preseason guess for the record this year was 6-6. I still think that's feasible, but injuries could leave us with a 4-8 record. Today was a missed opportunity.

Reactions: Woke
Look, did y'all not watch the kids 100% give up last year???? My biggest measuring stick was could the new coaching staff motivate these kids to fight? That was answered today, they fought all day....they lost, but they fought to the end.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
At this point, I’d be much more surprised if we were to find a way to win a game against a respectable opponent when absolutely every break went our way.

After all these years, I’ not surprised at all by our penchant for finding new and impressive ways to lose.

Agreed! Pissed we keep beating ourselves the same way we have for years but the team looked like they were meshing better after the half.. IDK but I think the team looked better than they have in a few years and it's only the second game.. Barring all the stupid, undisciplined play

Reactions: Smokymtnbullet

It has been a long time since I have seen a post get 100 likes. Maybe I have never seen it, I am not sure.

Another classic Vols loss. They continue to find new and horrific ways to lose.

Straight up. I hate the 2nd Quarter. The inconsistent mind screw! Where do you go when you fall asleep?

Do one thing well. All the time, no matter what. Start there

Reactions: CA_Vol
At the end of the day it’s still a loss. It is what it is…

Yes, d**n if we see positives from last year. Probably not worth discussing. We should just switch the forum to a W/L column and be done.
Not a big accomplishment just seeing positives from the 2020 season. Last year was putrid.
We should of beat this team, period. Penalties, stupid 4th and six inches call are not very positive imo. I like CJH and hope he is here a long time, but if we play SEC teams like we played today, we won’t win many and bottom line, it’s all about Wins and Losses.

Eh I'm already over it. You find a way to beat Mizzou, people will be over Pitt.

Pitt was better than I expected — hopefully Missouri is worse.

Hopefully, this game helps Heupel get to the right QB and helps the team learn the importance of playing disciplined football.

VN Store

Back