If Pruitt hires Friend

Mike Leach would have been a good hire. We’d be bowling if we’d hired him.
Im curious why you think this. What has he done in past jobs that has shown he can take what he’s given and immediately improve on it. He took a WasU team and had less wins in his first year then the coach who got fired in his last. Why is it that Leach is the most amazing coach but has never even won a conference championship? He’s coaching at a time when the big dogs of the PAC 12 are at their weakest in a long time and still can’t pull it off. He’s a good coach, don’t get me wrong, but I’m curious why people believe he would have instantly raised us to bowl status when he’s shown his system takes time to be put in place and even then, doesn’t win championships.

11th ranked offense is ok but I would think Tennessee could do a little better than Friend.

I think if Friend is hired we will have a pretty good idea of what type of coach CJP or what type of AD PF is. Not really clear right now whose hands are on the reins so its tough to say where the credit would lie.

However, Friend would be a "safe" hire and based on Pruitts high risk attitude on the field I dont see this as the path he would take. My guess is if Friend is the guy ADPF's fingerprints will be all over it..

My hopes are still for Freeze or an as of yet unnamed guy that can excite the fan base and recruits.

I don't think Friend is a safe hire at all. Lol. If anything, to prove he's a risk taker, he'd throw a blank check at Freeze

It wont be the end of the world. He did a pretty good job at CSU for three years. His offense got better each year and they even ranked #11 in the nation one year. I want Freeze, or another flashy hire just like all of you do, but maybe CJP knows best here and we just need to step back from the ledge and trust him.
Hey ... OP

It wont be the end of the world. He did a pretty good job at CSU for three years. His offense got better each year and they even ranked #11 in the nation one year. I want Freeze, or another flashy hire just like all of you do, but maybe CJP knows best here and we just need to step back from the ledge and trust him.
Makes sense200.gif 788.gif

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
Throw 2 mil at Urban Meyer and tell him he doesn't have to do ANYTHING except install and call an offense.

I hate that guy, but he knows offense.

(yes, this would never happen, but it's a better idea than a lot of what I've seen in other places)

Reactions: overseasorange2
Egg on UT's face if they have to settle for friend. Pruit or no one will be able to convince me that Friend was his only and first option for OC. (which is what will be said if he is hired for the OC position.)

Naaah. We will move quickly to Step 6 - Embrace the hire and argue how it really IS the best choice and what a SUPER DOOPER job CJP and PF are doing! YAY!!!

Reactions: djohnnyg
Naaah. We will move quickly to Step 6 - Embrace the hire and argue how it really IS the best choice and what a SUPER DOOPER job CJP and PF are doing! YAY!!!
Nope. I'm as big a water carrier and coach apologist there is. I'm not saying I would be "done" with UT football if he hired Friend, but I would care significantly less and my enthusiasm would be at an all time low for following this program.

The fact is there's an incredibly low percentage of people on this board who have a clue what the OC actually does day to day and would probably hire Wille Wonka if he were available and the hype machine had revved his name up enough...Obviously Friend is a fine football coach and would be fine....the major problem hiring him is he's not Freeze, Enos, etc etc and anyone else this board has pumped through the roof...JMO of course...

Reactions: VolinMC and stevol
Yet as a position coach, he literally showed nothing of value. Promoting Friend might as well put Pruitt on the hotseat.

I loved the Pruitt hire and his defensive staff. However, promoting a good ole boy to OC would be strike 2.

The entire league is getting better and we are just treading water.
Well, at least we're better than.......well, let's see.....give me a minute....will have to think.

Other teams announce hires pretty early. TN takes a wait and see approach.
I'm a fan but I'm not a die hard ride or die fan. If the University isn't going to do what it takes to win then why should I waste my Saturdays watching mediocrity? I'm willing to start the season all in but if they don't show improvement. I'll go do something else more productive.

Ok, here's my thinking. Yesterday, I would have bet money the hire would go to Lindsey. I'm pretty sure Lindsey would've taken it too. All of a sudden Lindsey heads to Kansas. Now, maybe we aren't hiring Freeze--I dont know. I do believe Lindsey would choose UT over Kansas, so Pruitt must have someone he thinks is better, whoever that is. I don't think he'd settle for Friend over Lindsey.
Could Fedora be in play?

The fact is there's an incredibly low percentage of people on this board who have a clue what the OC actually does day to day and would probably hire Wille Wonka if he were available and the hype machine had revved his name up enough...Obviously Friend is a fine football coach and would be fine....the major problem hiring him is he's not Freeze, Enos, etc etc and anyone else this board has pumped through the roof...JMO of course...

Seems like it's the opposite; Pruitt could hire Willie Wonka and there's many on this board that would praise the hire and declare it the best.

maybe CJP knows best here
I have no problem with whoever CJP chooses as it will be his legacy thats affected. But if Coach Friend is your choice name him already. If you name him a long time after Helton left it appears he was a fall back plan. Hard to sell me any other way.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog

I don't know Jack - - - -! but I always thought that Friend was just occupying the O.C. position at Colorado State and that the head coach was calling the plays. Sorta like bUTch & Larry Scott.......
If that is true, then Friend really has no experience in being an O.C. Am I wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

VN Store

Back