If Pruitt hires Friend

It wont be the end of the world. He did a pretty good job at CSU for three years. His offense got better each year and they even ranked #11 in the nation one year. I want Freeze, or another flashy hire just like all of you do, but maybe CJP knows best here and we just need to step back from the ledge and trust him.

I think if Friend is hired we will have a pretty good idea of what type of coach CJP or what type of AD PF is. Not really clear right now whose hands are on the reins so its tough to say where the credit would lie.

However, Friend would be a "safe" hire and based on Pruitts high risk attitude on the field I dont see this as the path he would take. My guess is if Friend is the guy ADPF's fingerprints will be all over it..

My hopes are still for Freeze or an as of yet unnamed guy that can excite the fan base and recruits.

Reactions: amorange
Hiring Friend is an issue because Pruitt can control him. The biggest issue we have right now is Pruitt’s ability to trust people. He hired Helton and he didn’t trust him. That’s why we ran an offense that went against our strengths most the time. People will tell you it was about instilling toughness, but what it came down to is Pruitt didn’t trust our OL or Helton to air it out on the field. A lot of people keep talking about power vs spread and what Pruitt wants, but Helton is about as spread as they come. If he had it his way, we’d been four wide 70% of the time. Pruitt has to find someone he trust but can’t control. Moreover, that someone better know what they are doing or else Pruitt is going to fail here. I don’t believe Friend is that guy for us.

Sort of this from what I understand. Pruitt wanted to run heavily to try and control clock and keep the defense off the field. So Helton didn't get to do what he wanted. If we hire Freeze that's probably over. If we hire Friend Pruitt obviously wants someone that won't shake that up.

Then I guess the Vols are SOL
The folks in charge know they won't keep earning paychecks for being out of luck. Fortunately for them, the path is clear as daylight. The majority of experts consider Freeze the best OC hire and fit for the program. Period. It also happens to be the majority of Tennessee Vols football fans want Freeze hired. As donors and fans we can trust decision makers won't bite the hands that feed them and we can hope for the best of success for all parties doing their job to make it happen.

The folks in charge know they won't keep earning paychecks for being out of luck. Fortunately for them, the path is clear as daylight. The majority of experts consider Freeze the best OC hire and fit for the program. Period. It also happens to be the majority of Tennessee Vols football fans want Freeze hired. As donors and fans we can trust decision makers won't bite the hands that feed them and we can hope for the best of success for all parties doing their job to make it happen.

Lol. Please do tell, what it the past decade leads you to believe we have competent leadership?

Lol. Please do tell, what it the past decade leads you to believe we have competent leadership?

It's not that I believe anything in the past decade leads me to believe we have competent leadership as much as I'd hope the firings of those who weren't competent during that stretch could serve as a guidepost for the current leaders who are here now because they are more competent than their predecessors. The former back-doored the Larry Scott internal promo because they knew it wouldn't be acceptable to the fan base just like Curry back-doored Schiano. The current leadership knows from the results of those recent failed experiments that backdoor guests are not best.

I think if Friend is hired we will have a pretty good idea of what type of coach CJP or what type of AD PF is. Not really clear right now whose hands are on the reins so its tough to say where the credit would lie.

However, Friend would be a "safe" hire and based on Pruitts high risk attitude on the field I dont see this as the path he would take. My guess is if Friend is the guy ADPF's fingerprints will be all over it.

Yes. YES. and YES!!!!!!! Keep it safe. Internal hire of someone who won’t challenge authority in any way and will do exactly as told regardless of the best approach.

Classic Fulmer hire.

Friend over Freeze is putting lipstick on a pig.

Whatever.
pig.jpg

We couldn't get a first second or third choice head coach. What makes any of you think we could get a top tier coordinator?

We now have a former football coach as an AD who understands what it takes to win in the SEC and hired a football coach who also understands what it takes to win in the SEC. We didn't have it before, but they're here now!

It wont be the end of the world. He did a pretty good job at CSU for three years. His offense got better each year and they even ranked #11 in the nation one year. I want Freeze, or another flashy hire just like all of you do, but maybe CJP knows best here and we just need to step back from the ledge and trust him.

I graduated from UT and CSU. 100% Vol but follow the Rammies pretty close. I’m really glad he’s on our staff but not the hire we need for OC. Need proven success at this point no matter how good he could be.

Since when did the folks in charge suddenly become enlightened? Where have they been hiding all this time, under a rock or with their head burried in the sand?

Reactions: LosingFaithVol
Pruitt hired a number of experienced coaches who might well merit promotion. So, should I go crazy if he doesn't hire Freeze, who beat bammer twice as HC of Ole Miss? Maybe I shouldn't, but I think I will.

Pruitt hired a number of experienced coaches who might well merit promotion. So, should I go crazy if he doesn't hire Freeze, who beat bammer twice as HC of Ole Miss? Maybe I shouldn't, but I think I will.
I have a hard time believing that anyone associated with this year's offense merits promotion. Maybe they did enough to deserve not to be replaced, but I'll defer to Coach Freeze's judgment.

No, sounds too much like Butch Jones. Pruitt needs a winner. Friend needs to teach his offensive line how to block first.

Though he didn't call plays, those were some really good offenses he was a part of. After he left they fell apart and he improved them off the bat. Hopefully he learned via Bobo.

For me, I more just want him to stick at OL. He's VERY well respected at OL. Improved uga rushing and sacks every...single...year. Colorado st didn't allow 20 sacks in any of his 3 years. CSU allowed 30 this season without him. His teams averaged over 5 ypc 4 of his last 5 seasons coached. 6 out of 8 years his rush offense was top third of cfb. The other 2 years were his 1st season at UGA and this season (which was still an improvement over 2017, despite losing multiple older guys). Dropped our sacks allowed from 35 to 23 this year. He's a stud and will get us rolling with an offseason and s&c.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back