If Pat Summitt were the AD, would Holly still have a job?

EarlVolFan

Let’s imagine that Pat didn’t develop dementia and pass away, but decided to retire and take the AD job after one of the many openings. Assuming she gave Holly the chance to take her place as Head Coach of the Lady Vol Basketball Team, would she have let Holly go by now?

I say yes, she would have fired her maybe two years ago.

Lordy, how many different threads do we need that all make the same point? Perhaps, someone should start a unifying thread entitled, "how many different ways can you say Holly should be fired?"

💡 I know I’m guilty of replying in all of em!😆

Reactions: savannahfan
Let’s imagine that Pat didn’t develop dementia and pass away, but decided to retire and take the AD job after one of the many openings. Assuming she gave Holly the chance to take her place as Head Coach of the Lady Vol Basketball Team, would she have let Holly go by now?

Oh yes.. no question! Those that kept supporting Holly, this is my question for u.. do u think that Holly would've kept her job if she's coaching a professional team? If she didn't make it with a former team she had with Mercedes she never make it. Fans are more angry with her just because of her background with vols, and when she maintains high recruits still can't win. I've heard some fans make excuses for her, oh they got injuries give her 3 more years, oh is because few players left the team but she's recruiting great, next yr we'll be the best playing Uconn. Oh they're young give them another 4 years to develop..some say when we start playing Uconn we improve and get high recruits. Then some say fire some of the assistants coaches get better ones. And I say, the bottom like is Madafaka can not coach period! and if u can't coach shut the hell up & get the hell out! stop wasting my time and our program. I almost got into accident the other day trying to send a comment while driving and I said to my self from now on I'm going to pay less attention to the worst coach in the whole universe.

Reactions: mcannon1
If pat were still coach, her results would be the same as Holly’s. Pat benefited from lack of competion.

This post is 100% right , I loved Pat she did a lot great work for TN BB and the womens game. She had great talent every year, Holly is running same offense Pat ran. All elite teams
women and men take ball to the basket Tn never does that until shot clock is running down then they drive into a wall defenders or pass to wing player for desperation 3 pt. Womens BB
has improved thru yrs sadly Tn BB has not followed we are stuck in the past.

Oh yes.. no question! Those that kept supporting Holly, this is my question for u.. do u think that Holly would've kept her job if she's coaching a professional team? If she didn't make it with a former team she had with Mercedes she never make it. Fans are more angry with her just because of her background with vols, and when she maintains high recruits still can't win. I've heard some fans make excuses for her, oh they got injuries give her 3 more years, oh is because few players left the team but she's recruiting great, next yr we'll be the best playing Uconn. Oh they're young give them another 4 years to develop..some say when we start playing Uconn we improve and get high recruits. Then some say fire some of the assistants coaches get better ones. And I say, the bottom like is Madafaka can not coach period! and if u can't coach shut the hell up & get the hell out! stop wasting my time and our program. I almost got into accident the other day trying to send a comment while driving and I said to my self from now on I'm going to pay less attention to the worst coach in the whole universe.

Just a thought, does Holly recruit wel,l or does "The LadyVols" recruit itself? If this is true, at some point this will fade away, but for now, I think it still carries real importance with some of these girls. Now add a firebrand good coach, preferably a woman, then I think we will see the "teams of old".

How dare you!? Rocky IV was a great movie! It had Ivan Drago, Brigitte Nielsen, some awesome music, a fantastic 80s montage, and USA vs Russia. What more could you want!?

Actually, that was the worst one and the reason they keep churning another one out is because they can never be that stupid again.

Actually, that was the worst one and the reason they keep churning another one out is because they can never be that stupid again.
Rocky overcame all odds and his own fears, doubts, and regret from not throwing the towel to take down a seemingly unbeatable Russian giant, who seemed more like machine than man, on Christmas Day in front of a bunch of hostile Russians and you dare impugn the quality of the movie!? Nothing beats a good training montage to Hearts on Fire. Well, unless it’s a montage to You’re the Best but that’s a whole other movie. Rocky IV is great. I disagree with your perspective.

Holly is not going anywhere. She is maintaining a top 25 team, having winning seasons, and recruiting well. As Lady Vol fans we just expect more than the results we are getting. I agree with her departure but the grass is always greener.

This post is 100% right , I loved Pat she did a lot great work for TN BB and the womens game. She had great talent every year, Holly is running same offense Pat ran. All elite teams
women and men take ball to the basket Tn never does that until shot clock is running down then they drive into a wall defenders or pass to wing player for desperation 3 pt. Womens BB
has improved thru yrs sadly Tn BB has not followed we are stuck in the past.

We will never know for sure but I think the championship team with Parker, Hornbuckle, Anosiki, Bobbit, and Augustus would still be a championship contender. However, that was a super team, featuring one of the all-time greats in the women's game.

However, on most possessions, the LVs are not waiting for the shot clock to wind down. It does happen on some possessions for sure but, against KY, for example, they were trying to push pace. Even in their dismal opening quarter, they had wide open shots and some lay-ups and could not hit anything.

Everyone focuses on turnovers, but this team lives and dies with their shooting percentage; at one point against, KY, they were shooting 25% from the field and were under 50% at the line. They closed much better but in that "cold" period they were getting lots of makeable shots. They had the same problems last year; Jackson is (though I hope she breaks the pattern) starting the season shooting really well and steadily got worse over conference play. Much of the team followed the same pattern. To me, that says there is some problem in the system but I think it is more on the training side than the game management side.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
...Now, the fahr Holly threads are starting to remind me of Rocky movies. The first two or three were fun, but now the rehashing is lame and now naming them Creed doesn't help. Besides they are 12-3. That won't bother Jabba the AD.

How we got to 12-3 should, though

Indeed, and the 1-2 record in conference is also very problematic. Should they slide to 1-3, some alarms would start ringing in the AD's office. I think a sub .500 conference record would trigger a change. The ice is getting thin. Realistically, Fulmer does not want a negative PR issue on his hands and firing CPS hand picked successor will require a really clear cut case. A losing conference record would fit that bill. For the record, I think the LVs will right the ship but their shot at a conference title is probably passed with these early losses.

Last edited:

No

VN Store

Back