If Anyone Disputes That Tennessee Was playing Terribly At The End Of Last Season...

True, but the NCAA Tournament is a completely different animal than a home game in November.

It shouldn't be that different playing a team from a nonscholarship league.

It shouldn't be, but often times is. At the same time, I am not defending Tennessee's performance towards the end of the season.

But boy was that Louisville game hard to watch... especially being there in person. Pitino is going to have one hell of a squad this year.

But boy was that Louisville game hard to watch... especially being there in person. Pitino is going to have one hell of a squad this year.

I was there too. And at the end of the first half I honestly thought we were going to win. We made a nice run to start the second half, and then we just seemed to quit.

Painful.

The Patriot League does give out financial aid to football players that functions as a scholarship equivalent. I would think they would do the same for basketball. It may not be a full scholly, but it's not so bad that everybody's fully paying their own ways.

Hat I would like some concrete evidence as to disprove this happening. Kyle Arduon from MBA played lacrosse for Harvard and they gave him an academic scholarship, and almost every player on the lacrosse team was on academic scholarship. Coincidence?

Last edited:
The first thing you need to know is that all scholarships awarded by the Ivy League are “need based.” That means that the only students who receive Ivy League financial aid are those whose families cannot afford to pay full freight. However, even many students from “comfortable” middle-class homes receive some sort of scholarship assistance due to the high price tag attached to these schools.

"Most Ivy athletes are on full or partial scholarships, but those scholarships are based strictly on financial need."

College athletic recruiting lessons learned by a Miramonte Dad

Not the most ideal source, but I've read that in more than one place.

1-AA football teams are allowed to award up to 63 scholarships. I have read somewhere else that Patriot League schools award up 55 football scholarship equivalents each year.

"While financial aid has always been available, athletic scholarships have only been given in recent years at Patriot League schools. Basketball scholarships were first allowed beginning with freshmen entering the league in the fall of 1998. In 2001, when AMERICAN, which gave scholarships in all sports (AU does not play football) entered the league, the league began allowing all schools to do so in sports other than football. Lafayette, the last no athletic scholarships holdout, began granting full rides in basketball and other sports with freshmen entering the school in the fall of 2006. Football scholarships are still limited strictly to need-based aid."

Patriot League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From a source besides wikipedia:

“When it was founded, the Patriot League was supposed to be a kind of sister league to the Ivy League,” McCutcheon says. “But that’s been eroded, in part because of athletic scholarships.” Holy Cross started awarding scholarships in basketball in the fall of 1998— the first move to athletic aid above need in the Patriot League. That sparked a league-wide trend. Lafayette’s own shift to scholarships would not have been the preference of most athletics working-group members or faculty members, says Susan Averett, a professor of economics and business who served on the working group. But, as she puts it, “It’s pretty tough to compete in the league when you’re the lone holdout against scholarships.”

Lafayette Alumni News Magazine - Fall 2006

Game, Set, and Match to ukvols :dance2:

VN Store

Back