I thought the DC is usually hired first?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg.

We are in a situation where we has some defensive talent become available, and we locked it down. I doubt a potential DC that is going to be willing to come here would turn them down.

Now traditionally, you are correct, the DC would pick their own staff. But Tennessee isn't in a place to get a traditional DC. We are going to have to go with an up and comer that is undervalued and hope they have what it takes to shine.

Dumbest post of the new Year! Yeah nobody wants to be a millionaire.

I think he's right in this particular case. This is going to be tough job and I can see where some coaches wouldn't want to take it on. We're looking at reduced scholarships and have a coach that recruits offense first and who's philosophy seems to be to play fast break for 60 minutes. Whoever takes it on is going to feel a lot of heat for a few years.

I think he's right in this particular case. This is going to be tough job and I can see where some coaches wouldn't want to take it on. We're looking at reduced scholarships and have a coach that recruits offense first and who's philosophy seems to be to play fast break for 60 minutes. Whoever takes it on is going to feel a lot of heat for a few years.
The post was that nobody wants it. I understand that is hyperbole but still even for a message board that is silly. The point is as far as we know there is caution and deliberation. That is what we want. Plus our defense was awful under a supposed defensive guru.... so why all the whining? It’s not like the defense can be any worse.

I'll take the job... I have no past experience and everyone may hate me in end but ill be rich. Now all is need is a Madden playbook. Any suggestions?

Yes - volnation has a thread already available for you to post your resume (volnation will not let you down). By the way, you will be thrilled to learn that Madden experience and wanting to get filthy rich seem to be the common theme in that thread. :cool:

Reactions: PruittEra
You all are acting like this is normal operating procedure.[/QUOTE]
why hide it? The NFL season is over, the FBS season is over. Legitimately want to know what advantage it would provide?
The new hype on VN is that secrets are the best way to hire coaches, or do business, or not sink a ship, or something. If DW and JH said Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt were coming back, half of this board would bend over backwards saying it was a brilliant move, a clear indication of all the nattys coming to Knoxville.

You all are acting like this is normal operating procedure.

The new hype on VN is that secrets are the best way to hire coaches, or do business, or not sink a ship, or something. If DW and JH said Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt were coming back, half of this board would bend over backwards saying it was a brilliant move, a clear indication of all the nattys coming to Knoxville.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s *exactly* it. 🙄

I thought the DC would want their own guys?
Only way that makes sense is someone who’s less connected with getting people on board.

most coordinators hired are hired onto an existing staff. Bill O'Brien is not bringing anyone with him to Alabama. Maryland just hired a new DC and he already has staff in place.. happens all the time

No one wants the job or it would be filled.

EDIT: No one we want to hire wants the job, better?
I understand the argument, but it's not an argument I'd let Danny White or Heup off the hook on. There's literally thousands of defensive football coaches in the country. Probably hundreds who are very good, and dozens who are very good and who could recruit. Of those... maybe 10% would have the luxury of turning down a million dollar job.

Focus on the damn task and FIND SOMEBODY. They ARE out there. It's freaking ridiculous that we haven't hired one yet.

VN Store

Back