I think Ty Chandler is ...

Ty Chandler is elite.

He already had the longest run from scrimmage a Tennessee running back has had in several years this season.

This was after some people on here doubted whether he had big play ability at which point they were shown
the proof from last season's long touchdown he did. The same Peanut Gallery of knuckleheads said it was against
a non-power 5 school. Wrong. It was against a Power 5 school. So what was the excuse then?
They still needed to see more. And then sure enough, after he returns from a first game injury, the very first game back, he breaks that 81 yard touchdown play for the longest touchdown for Tennessee by a running back in years.

People began to put more stock in what they had been told he already did last year and in high school. That's the thing. Those weren't flashes in the pan, that is just what he does -- makes big plays as naturally as fish swim.

The track record to this point of play on the field, long runs, and even just what anyone can observe by watching him play, attest to his talent which he has shown and continues to show. More and more are reminded by another solid performance if they forget. That's another attribute in his favor. He's consistent.

I suspect any talk of "average but nothing special" will soon dissipate completely out of the repertoire
of anyone yet to be convinced by both the stats and what can be seen on the field because that evidence
supports the claim that he possesses the speed, skills, and measurables to project as well as any back in the SEC right now.

I was trying to put my finger on who Chandler's natural running ability reminds me of so far (not just his elite speed) and for some reason kept thinking of Walter Payton, rest his soul. Auburn's D is stout against the run, but even including the stats of the game today, Chandler's average yards per carry (6.2) this season is neck and neck with Walter Payton's Sophomore season of college at Jackson State (6.3) and more than Payton's junior and senior season totals. Chandler's stats are against modern SEC competition. He's taller than both Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith who broke Payton's all time NFL rushing record even though college recruiting analysts said of Smith, "When he falls on his face, remember where you heard it first." He could just as well have said that he would never be special.

He "fell flat on his face" for more yards as a professional than any other running back to ever play the game before or since.

The problem both the critics of the best running back to ever run the ball and the critic of Ty Chandler have in common is
that they both answered the matter before they heard it, which the bible declares is only the action of a fool. There is no evidence against Chandler's potential, but the limited evidence from the play we have had the opportunity to observe so far is in his favor to go as far as he wants to go provided he stays injury-free and maintains his consistent work ethic the next couple of years.

The only way to prove me wrong is to give him more carries and put it to the test.

Don't forget my post earlier this week in support of Guarantano and that Tennessee should have a good game against Auburn.

Don't forget I told you Chandler possesses big play ability as part of his natural talent and skill set (It's what he does) before he ran for the 81 yard touchdown the very next game he played. Could he have just ran for a 50 yarder or so and still proved the assessment right? Sure.
But why leave any doubt at all when he could just put the whole debate to rest just as he did was the rhetorical question his big play ability answered after it was questioned. The unsupported criticism by any not yet convinced is free to continue, but it won't be long before it's revealed for what it is and no one has to explain why. All you have to do is continue to watch Ty Chandler play until you see it like the rest of us have since before he got here.

Today he rushed for 50 yards, but he had 60+ receiving yards (13+ yards per catch, which is right on pace for his avg. this whole season so far) and a touchdown score to combine for more than 110 all purpose yards from scrimmage. Not bad production.

If you have a running back that has run for over 80 yards already, averages over 6 yards per carry for the season so far, and consistently breaks for double-digit gains every game he's played except for one game he left due to injury after just a carry, then feed him the carries until he's no longer averaging 6 yards a carry. If he continues to do so then you're winning. I hope and pray he doesn't go under-utilized like Kamara did.

The only way to "get it wrong" about Chandler is if he doesn't get the carries his production so far has earned him or if you doubt he's got the potential to be an elite star at the highest level.

Ty Chandler is elite.

He already had the longest run from scrimmage a Tennessee running back has had in several years this season.

This was after some people on here doubted whether he had big play ability at which point they were shown
the proof from last season's long touchdown he did. The same Peanut Gallery of knuckleheads said it was against
a non-power 5 school. Wrong. It was against a Power 5 school. So what was the excuse then?
They still needed to see more. And then sure enough, after he returns from a first game injury, the very first game back, he breaks that 81 yard touchdown play for the longest touchdown for Tennessee by a running back in years.

People began to put more stock in what they had been told he already did last year and in high school. That's the thing. Those weren't flashes in the pan, that is just what he does -- makes big plays as naturally as fish swim.

The track record to this point of play on the field, long runs, and even just what anyone can observe by watching him play, attest to his talent which he has shown and continues to show. More and more are reminded by another solid performance if they forget. That's another attribute in his favor. He's consistent.

I suspect any talk of "average but nothing special" will soon dissipate completely out of the repertoire
of anyone yet to be convinced by both the stats and what can be seen on the field because that evidence
supports the claim that he possesses the speed, skills, and measurables to project as well as any back in the SEC right now.

I was trying to put my finger on who Chandler's natural running ability reminds me of so far (not just his elite speed) and for some reason kept thinking of Walter Payton, rest his soul. Auburn's D is stout against the run, but even including the stats of the game today, Chandler's average yards per carry (6.2) this season is neck and neck with Walter Payton's Sophomore season of college at Jackson State (6.3) and more than Payton's junior and senior season totals. Chandler's stats are against modern SEC competition. He's taller than both Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith who broke Payton's all time NFL rushing record even though college recruiting analysts said of Smith, "When he falls on his face, remember where you heard it first." He could just as well have said that he would never be special.

He "fell flat on his face" for more yards as a professional than any other running back to ever play the game before or since.

The problem both the critics of the best running back to ever run the ball and the critic of Ty Chandler have in common is
that they both answered the matter before they heard it, which the bible declares is only the action of a fool. There is no evidence against Chandler's potential, but the limited evidence from the play we have had the opportunity to observe so far is in his favor to go as far as he wants to go provided he stays injury-free and maintains his consistent work ethic the next couple of years.

The only way to prove me wrong is to give him more carries and put it to the test.

Don't forget my post earlier this week in support of Guarantano and that Tennessee should have a good game against Auburn.

Don't forget I told you Chandler possesses big play ability as part of his natural talent and skill set (It's what he does) before he ran for the 81 yard touchdown the very next game he played. Could he have just ran for a 50 yarder or so and still proved the assessment right? Sure.
But why leave any doubt at all when he could just put the whole debate to rest just as he did was the rhetorical question his big play ability answered after it was questioned. The unsupported criticism by any not yet convinced is free to continue, but it won't be long before it's revealed for what it is and no one has to explain why. All you have to do is continue to watch Ty Chandler play until you see it like the rest of us have since before he got here.

Today he rushed for 50 yards, but he had 60+ receiving yards (13+ yards per catch, which is right on pace for his avg. this whole season so far) and a touchdown score to combine for more than 110 all purpose yards from scrimmage. Not bad production.

If you have a running back that has run for over 80 yards already, averages over 6 yards per carry for the season so far, and consistently breaks for double-digit gains every game he's played except for one game he left due to injury after just a carry, then feed him the carries until he's no longer averaging 6 yards a carry. If he continues to do so then you're winning. I hope and pray he doesn't go under-utilized like Kamara did.

The only way to "get it wrong" about Chandler is if he doesn't get the carries his production so far has earned him or if you doubt he's got the potential to be an elite star at the highest level.
I've seen him a lot in person at the high school level, his skill sets he showed there are definitely showing up now! He's gotta develop some thud in his shoulders and thighs to be like Sweetness!

Reactions: OneVolNation
He's good but not special like our recent RBs. Kamara and Kelly are NFL superstars. Chandler will most likely not be on that level.

John Kelly is an NFL superstar? When did that happen? Last time I checked he was getting Gurley’s table scraps.

No need to compare Chandler to the Offensive Rookie of the NFL last year. Chandler is a great weapon and we need to continue to feed him as much as possible. He has clearly separated himself from the other backs and is able to do everything well.

Combine his talent to run and catch out of the backfield with the WRs we have coming out of their own, defenses have alot on their hands to account for. His presence keeps the defense honest as he could block, catch a screen, be a dump off target, etc...As long as we continue to utilize him as much as possible in the gameplan our offense will be more efficient.

He’s clearly our best back. Jordan drove me crazy today by trying to do too much instead of knowing where he was and just running/falling forward.

In defense of Jordan, I liked that play he kept running North and South and then after contact kept driving his legs falling forward for another couple of yards. I do understand what you are talking about though as far as following the blocks and hitting the holes for gains instead of running ahead of the blocks, away from the holes, or too much side to side allowing defenders to tackle him shy of the first down marker when he could have lowered the shoulder and drove ahead for the first down. It reminded too much of that unfortunate safety suffered when up field running would dig it out of the hole but the side to side gave the defense just enough time to close in for points that cost us. He will get a better feel for that and find his rhythm I think. He's a tough back too. We have some quality running backs for sure. As Chandler continues to get more carries, Jordan runs behind his blocks and hits the holes created for him running up field, London continues to run up field and drive for more yards after contact keeping his legs pumping until the whistle blows, and Banks develops an OCD for the six points of contact for reliable ball security, it's exciting to see what JG did passing today with all the receivers and realize we have running backs of the caliber on roster at Tennessee.

Reactions: LittleVol
Noticed Banks didn’t get the rock today. Put it on the ground, watch from the sideline! I do think Banks will be a stud too if he learns to protect the ball. Chandler for sure is our best option at RB but the others aren’t scrubs either.

Have patience. Just a few more weeks before the legend of Josh Dobbs begins.

November 8th on Thursday Night Football against the Panthers. That just feels like when Dobbs is supposed to blow up.
Sure thing hoss. You’re entertaining at least. In like the guy who makes balloon animals for kids kinda way.

VN Store

Back