I think there is reason for optimism

You aren't wrong but what do you expect right now? UF's offense can't sustain a drive versus a top 25 team, either. That's the hard part because it takes an offensive line and workhorse running backs that can pick up 4 to 6 yards a carry for 60 minutes. A tall order these days if you aren't Alabama, Clenson, UGA, or tUSO.

I expect growing pains. I expect to take lumps. I didn’t want to lose those games either but we clearly had guys who didn’t want to commit to winning the right way. I feel like we started to turn the corner in effort in the first half against georgia, and found a QB. I’ve been on both sides but if you can’t see the progress then they prolly never will

Lol, I’m with you that it hasn’t looked good. He’s green when it comes to being a head coach. I just refuse to believe he’s suddenly lost the ability to develop players or put a good defense on the field. I think there’s several things standing in the way right now. I also think the staff has screwed up several times as well this season.

I just think he’s going to get another year and should get another year before being judged. I think incremental improvement in the roster and on the field is what we’re looking at for the next few years.
Incremental improvement was all I expected THIS year. If the staff is unable to develop what they have at this time then that tells me an adjustment in philosophy is needed.

Watched most, albeit not all, of the first half of the UGA game then caught the second half on the road via XM.

For the first 28 minutes you more than held up, and in fact had the lead until 2 minutes to go in the first half. Jennings was outstanding and he and Maurer appear to me to have some chemistry. Granted, the game ended up lopsided by the end, but from this outsider's perspective that first half of excellent football is reason to think things are improving.

FWIW, I was the UF-UGA game last year and UF was in it until the 4th quarter. My sense was that at that point we just wore down and UGA continued to circulate in a bunch of 4 and 5 star talent, and that's how they win. Even if your starters can go toe to toe with them for 2-3 quarters, they will end up winning the game of attrition. That is arguably why you need to be behind Pruitt for at least one more year. Give him time to recruit the guys that can go in and keep a lid on things and maybe even shine while the starters get a breather.

At any rate, as I say, I know it's not where you want to be but it was definitely a significant step in the right direction.

I believe people were saying a corner was turned after the Chattanooga game. Until more wins go into the W column and less 28 point plus losses occur then I'll believe a corner has been turned.

I thought a corner was turned last year with the Auburn game, but our turn around is not that neat and simple. It's harder than I can understand, but at least we're seeing real evidence. How much better is the O-line this year? Who thought we could lead Georgia through most of the second quarter? We are left with the hope that our coaches will keep coaching and the players will get better and better. Those are not big pegs to hang our hats on, but I think it is probably what will happen. The guys really need some wins. They won't come easy, but I think they are ready to take their play to a higher level. That is what they have to do.

A trend has to start somewhere and it sure looked to me like a corner was turned. May not translate to a lot of wins this year, but seems like it should heading into next year.

When they put in a complete game, then a corner will be turned.

I thought a corner was turned last year with the Auburn game, but our turn around is not that neat and simple. It's harder than I can understand, but at least we're seeing real evidence. How much better is the O-line this year? Who thought we could lead Georgia through most of the second quarter? We are left with the hope that our coaches will keep coaching and the players will get better and better. Those are not big pegs to hang our hats on, but I think it is probably what will happen. The guys really need some wins. They won't come easy, but I think they are ready to take their play to a higher level. That is what they have to do.
We still lost by more points to Georgia this year than we did last year. Same with Florida. There are no moral victories. Especially when no progress has been made since last season.

You are right about one thing. They have to take their play to a higher level. With the result being an increase in the W column. It's that plain and simple. Both the coaching staff and players have to step up.

Reactions: Vol Main
Watched most, albeit not all, of the first half of the UGA game then caught the second half on the road via XM.

For the first 28 minutes you more than held up, and in fact had the lead until 2 minutes to go in the first half. Jennings was outstanding and he and Maurer appear to me to have some chemistry. Granted, the game ended up lopsided by the end, but from this outsider's perspective that first half of excellent football is reason to think things are improving.

FWIW, I was the UF-UGA game last year and UF was in it until the 4th quarter. My sense was that at that point we just wore down and UGA continued to circulate in a bunch of 4 and 5 star talent, and that's how they win. Even if your starters can go toe to toe with them for 2-3 quarters, they will end up winning the game of attrition. That is arguably why you need to be behind Pruitt for at least one more year. Give him time to recruit the guys that can go in and keep a lid on things and maybe even shine while the starters get a breather.

At any rate, as I say, I know it's not where you want to be but it was definitely a significant step in the right direction.
I admire and respect your optimism. The bottom line is that until we get better players, it really doesn't matter who coaches UT. It's the same ole same ol with recruiting. We get a few good skill guys. But ultimately where the game is won and lost, we just don't compete with the UGA's and Bamas of the world. For whatever the reasons, we never get great classes of linemen. Until that changes, all of the optimism in the world wont change anything. When you go to recruiting websites and see UT number 23 or whatever they are, that's very deceiving. Dig deep and really look at the makeup of those players. How many 4 and 5 star linemen are we getting year in and year out. Very few. Ultimately, that is why we are in a mess and we will continue to be in a mess. Nick Saban could be coaching this team, but until the current coaches can get multiple 4 and 5 star guys up front, all the optimism in the world won't solve the mess they have.

Reactions: VolRoger
I admire and respect your optimism. The bottom line is that until we get better players, it really doesn't matter who coaches UT. It's the same ole same ol with recruiting. We get a few good skill guys. But ultimately where the game is won and lost, we just don't compete with the UGA's and Bamas of the world. For whatever the reasons, we never get great classes of linemen. Until that changes, all of the optimism in the world wont change anything. When you go to recruiting websites and see UT number 23 or whatever they are, that's very deceiving. Dig deep and really look at the makeup of those players. How many 4 and 5 star linemen are we getting year in and year out. Very few. Ultimately, that is why we are in a mess and we will continue to be in a mess. Nick Saban could be coaching this team, but until the current coaches can get multiple 4 and 5 star guys up front, all the optimism in the world won't solve the mess they have.

You may have a point. I especially think 4 or 5* DL's look more at what schools are sending players to the next level and then choose those schools. I would be curious to know (from you if you have it) the percentage of 4 and 5 stars that are defensive linemen compared to the percentage that are skill position players.

LOL, good try. You can't win on this site right now. If you trash the team, they'll hate you for it. If you offer encouragement, they'll hate you for it. They're just miserable. Let it go.

BVS is still alive and well and taking on additional symptoms:rolleyes:

VN Store

Back