I think I actually do want SC to beat Clemson this weekend

After last weekend and the way the college football showed poor taste against the Vols I’m pulling for every ranked team to lose. Pulling for Georgia Tech-Auburn Miss State. Need Clemson to hang 70 on the USC jr. Texas A&M to beat LSU. Any higher ranking SEC team I want to lose. The SEC is no longer the SEC that shaped college football. Bringing in Texas A&M,Missouri and now Oklahoma and Texas shows this is all about money. Oh by the way I hope Texas and Oklahoma get blown out this weekend. I’d like the National Championship to be played by two teams nobody cares about and the ESPN ratings are the worst in 25 years. Too bad Michigan and Ohio State can’t both lose. Go Vols and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Hear me out here…

The disaster of last weekend will live in our minds forever, akin to losing to Wyoming or Georgia State… BUT… South Carolina has a legitimate chance to finish 9-4 this year, and finish well into the Top 25.

By South Carolina standards, that’s not just a good season, that’s an “upper tier of their program’s history” season. Fun fact: South Carolina has won 8 or more games 14 times in their entire program’s history. By comparison, we’ve accomplished that 58 times in our program’s history.

I guess my point is, when we look back on this game, it will be a much easier pill to swallow if at the end of the day it was a team that ranks as one the 15 best South Carolina teams of all time, who got really hot at the end of the year and beat two Top 10 teams, rather than the absolute trash football team we perceive them as right now at this very moment.

Just my $.02

Why not forget about South Carolina and everyone else and figure out what we need to do to be successful! Who cares what South Carolina has done?

Reactions: EasternVol
Hear me out here…

The disaster of last weekend will live in our minds forever, akin to losing to Wyoming or Georgia State… BUT… South Carolina has a legitimate chance to finish 9-4 this year, and finish well into the Top 25.

By South Carolina standards, that’s not just a good season, that’s an “upper tier of their program’s history” season. Fun fact: South Carolina has won 8 or more games 14 times in their entire program’s history. By comparison, we’ve accomplished that 58 times in our program’s history.

I guess my point is, when we look back on this game, it will be a much easier pill to swallow if at the end of the day it was a team that ranks as one the 15 best South Carolina teams of all time, who got really hot at the end of the year and beat two Top 10 teams, rather than the absolute trash football team we perceive them as right now at this very moment.

Just my $.02
And in the 21st century our programs are closer than we like to admit. This century we have 10 eight plus win seasons (counting this year) and if they win 1 more game this year, they will have 9. Our overall records are virtually identical (156-119 for us, 155-19 for them), and while we are 14-9 against them head to head this century, we have split the last 14 dead even, 7-7. It is a much less lopsided rivalry at present than ours with Bama, Florida and Georgia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clayton and knox73
10-3 or 11-2, either will be a highly successful, pleasantly unexpected season for us. As long as we kill Candy. GBO

When I was just getting started in college, I decided that an Early Greek and Roman Mythology course would be a cool way to take care of one of the humanities electives. It was. In that class I learned the word “kleos” which is, as far as how I remember it, a Greek word that basically means “glory”. It’s how much of a reputation you make for yourself through your actions, your heroism. And the hero of the story doesn’t gain any kleos of his own by beating up on a bunch of patsies with none of their own. He gains it by toppling titans, right? That’s been in the fabric of western thought for thousands of years.

Our Vols are on their own heroes journey. And if someone told us back during the summer that there would be bitter disappointment, in late November, at falling out of national championship contention, we’d have told that them they were out of their minds. We are still strongly on the high end of the range of stories of the 2022 season that we thought were remotely possible, given the starting point.

The bigger the characters in this story, the better the story is. Nobody is rushing the field for Alabama, if Alabama isn’t who they are. Nobody cares about Florida, if they haven’t been such a big part of our story for a few decades now. So now South Carolina has a bit of kleos of their own, for us. And let’s be honest, they gained a lot of renown for beating us, more than anyone thought possible just a few months ago. South Carolina dumped Gatorade on Beamer and stormed the field, for our game. How many people nationally, this summer, had us being a team you storm the field over, this soon? And we already have threads circling a date with them on the calendar next year. Personally, I love that. The heights we can climb are higher, when more of our opponents are mountains.

This story didn’t end last week. And it doesn’t even end in January, either, not for any true fan. And sure, hate losses. But recognize that there’s even upside in pitfalls, if you know where to look for it.

Short version: go Cocks, beat Clemson. It makes our games bigger. SEC, SEC! etc etc

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and Go Big Orange!

Reactions: semovol
After last weekend and the way the college football showed poor taste against the Vols I’m pulling for every ranked team to lose. Pulling for Georgia Tech-Auburn Miss State. Need Clemson to hang 70 on the USC jr. Texas A&M to beat LSU. Any higher ranking SEC team I want to lose. The SEC is no longer the SEC that shaped college football. Bringing in Texas A&M,Missouri and now Oklahoma and Texas shows this is all about money. Oh by the way I hope Texas and Oklahoma get blown out this weekend. I’d like the National Championship to be played by two teams nobody cares about and the ESPN ratings are the worst in 25 years. Too bad Michigan and Ohio State can’t both lose. Go Vols and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
I despise every other SEC team and their fans but ours and I definitely don’t root for them.

And in the 21st century our programs are closer than we like to admit. This century we have 10 eight plus win seasons (counting this year) and if they win 1 more game this year, they will have 9. Our overall records are virtually identical (156-119 for us, 155-19 for them), and while we are 14-9 against them this century, we have split the last 14 dead even, 7-7. It is a much less lopsided rivalry at present than ours with Bama, Florida and Georgia.
Yep pretty even against them since 2005 when they hired Spurrier and our slide into mediocrity began in the last years of Fulmer he lost to South Carolina in 2005 and 2008.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
If SC plays like they played against us, they win...but they aren't sneaking up on Clemson. Clemson is actually not that good and would probably be in the 8-4 range if they were in the SEC...so, yes it's very possible. That being said, I don't care to give SC any more momentum in their program building, so hope they get throttled.

Our season ended last Saturday.
Doesn’t really matter what this team or that team does going forward.
Nope. Nope. Nope. Got to show some resiliency and play it out. Can’t just walk away from all the gains we’ve made.

Reactions: StickMan
At this point, I can care less about who wins or lose. About the only team I want to see lose right now, is Georgia. A Georgia loss won't take the sting out of what happened last Saturday, but anything that throws a wrench in their dynasty, is good for the Vols.

We’re going to better than them, and beat them on a yearly basis, for the rest of all of our lives. Confidence with them doesn’t matter. But for this year, we can potentially have confidence in knowing our loss wasn’t as bad as it initially seemed, although still a really bad loss.
I'm thinking, according to 247 Composite rankings, we have the #10 class for next year and they're #15. Beating them on a yearly basis may not be a given.

Hear me out here…

Just my $.02

Dabo is bad but Beamer cussing back and fort with our juvenile DB was just too much and he left his starters in to the end. No 2 nd teamers he is a douche at least Dabo has accomplished something but their both douches. I always want teams in our conference to lose and not get any recruiting swag. Clemson by Fiddy.

At this point, I can care less about who wins or lose. About the only team I want to see lose right now, is Georgia. A Georgia loss won't take the sting out of what happened last Saturday, but anything that throws a wrench in their dynasty, is good for the Vols.

I dont see GA losing again for another year.
Possibly the 2023 SEC championship game but unlikely.
I want an SEC team to win it all because the other conferences play weak schedules and get overhyped.
the one team I always want to see lose is Notre Dame.

Dabo is bad but Beamer cussing back and fort with our juvenile DB was just too much and he left his starters in to the end. No 2 nd teamers he is a douche at least Dabo has accomplished something but their both douches. I always want teams in our conference to lose and not get any recruiting swag. Clemson by Fiddy.
Hypocrisy at its finest. Everyone on this forum was going into SC to "hang 60" on them and boat race them for "style points". You went in there with the intention of running up the score as much as possible to impress the committee just like the Missouri game. What happened was the best example of Karma this entire football season. As some SC fans have said "Tennessee is having humble pie for Thanksgiving".

Reactions: orange blossom

VN Store

Back