I surrender (To the extremely irrational portion of our fan base)

After reading the bile spewed bay a portion of our supposed "fans", I surrender to your "logic" and propose this. I hope they give you guys what you want and fire Pruitt today. Give this year's team over to whichever interim coach to completely obliterate the rest of the year. When we have another large buyout to reduce the available liquidity for a coaching search and we receive even less interest from the "established" coaches community than before. I will laugh at those of you that wail and gnash your teeth as the team I love plummets into the Gehenna that awaits it. No coach with any potential would touch this program knowing that the have the potential of a less than 1.5 year turn around requirement.

When that happens, none of the miserable members of this fan base will have any right to type a single sentence of protest involving the inevitable outcome.

(Sorry to those this does not apply to, just expressing my venom at the ones who have no comprehension of reality.)
You act the season isn’t already completely obliterated!! You do realize who our next 6 games against are don’t you. And your ok with starting the season possibly 1-6. I don’t know about you but that is not acceptable by no means. Do I think Pruitt had the deck stacked against on day one, of course I do. But you can’t keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results. I do think Pruitt is in over his head or at least up to this point he has shown that any how.

After reading the bile spewed bay a portion of our supposed "fans", I surrender to your "logic" and propose this. I hope they give you guys what you want and fire Pruitt today. Give this year's team over to whichever interim coach to completely obliterate the rest of the year. When we have another large buyout to reduce the available liquidity for a coaching search and we receive even less interest from the "established" coaches community than before. I will laugh at those of you that wail and gnash your teeth as the team I love plummets into the Gehenna that awaits it. No coach with any potential would touch this program knowing that the have the potential of a less than 1.5 year turn around requirement.

When that happens, none of the miserable members of this fan base will have any right to type a single sentence of protest involving the inevitable outcome.

(Sorry to those this does not apply to, just expressing my venom at the ones who have no comprehension of reality.)
So we win 2-3 games this year and a coach has your support. How many the next year, and the next? In year 4 should we be competing for the east? If not would the coach lose your support? How long should a rebuild take? 10 years, 100, maybe 1000?

You are assuming everyone has the same goal. They don't.

I love the story of Bear Bryant on taking over an Alabama team that went 2-7-1 when Auburn won the NC. "You aren't the state's team. You aren't the town's team. You're my team. And we're going to start playing like champions ... today."

You’re joking right? If this team’s goal wasn’t to win their first three games then they need to choose a different profession and sport to play.

You’ve got to be about crazy to even say something so out of left field like that.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He's coming back no matter what. There is no money to pay that buyout, the staff's buyouts, and hire anyone else. Doesn't matter how mad people are, unless someone wants to write a 10 million dollar check, it's not happening.

10 million dollars is a drop in the bucket to the revenue that is being lost by the product on the field. I guarandamtee you if this program was competing for SEC east championships the 10 million dollars would be recouped by increased ticket sales, concession sales, beer sales, new donors, and merchandise sales.

We are losing a generation of customers(fans) because of the shi$$y product on the field.

We can’t afford to keep Pruitt and staff because of the revenue we are losing.

Reactions: zydane47
I remember our last coaching search and what a laughing stock we were when coach after coach after coach turned us down. Who do those that want to fire CJP think we could get? SMDH! We're only 2 games into CJP's 2nd season. Give the man a chance FFS!

GBO!!!
:cool:

He just lost to Georgia State and BYU in year 2 ffs.

Time will tell if he can get this turned around. Any new coach will want a fair shot at turning the roster and changing the culture. As long as it clear that JP has gotten his fair shot then we will be fine to move forward.

I expect to see him make the adjustments needed to get us back to winning. The waiting for it to happen is very difficult.

How many years does he need to turn the program around to beat Georgia State and BYU?

Pride85, pay nooooooo attention to kangeroos.

I wish more than anything, the powers above would/would've grown a pair and thrown the bank at a proven head coach. There's really no excuse, UT is one of the wealthiest programs yet one of the cheapest when it comes to FB. Show coach Barnes the money but not for the most profitable sport at UT? Mind boggling. Idk how much merrit boosters meddling comes into play, but at this point, no conspiracy theory is off the table.
I know, I really can’t wrap my head around how they could be so thick headed. It honestly doesn’t make any sense.

Reactions: RavinDave
Short term thinking.

Pruitt should not have beaten Auburn last year and finished 2-10. Then, he could finish 3-9 this year and you'd claim "improvement".

There's a hard reality here. UT hasn't been ready for SEC competition for 12 or more years. You can choose to suck it up and do what's necessary or you can go for the heroin and the joy of the quick result. One is for lasting success where the other wears off.
Well an opiate of the masses is starting to look mighty attractive.

I remember our last coaching search and what a laughing stock we were when coach after coach after coach turned us down. Who do those that want to fire CJP think we could get? SMDH! We're only 2 games into CJP's 2nd season. Give the man a chance FFS!

GBO!!!
:cool:
How about he shows progress? Improvement? This program has been performing worse and worse for 4 straight games.

IF CJP would bench JG and start another QB to give this team a chance nobody should be fired …………………...

Pruitt will not be fired even though he may be as hard headed as bitch jones was. JG will start but I really think or hope both backups get to play.

Let’s assume he’s NOT the right guy. Fix recruiting and development. Fix the AD. Get stable.

If Pruitt is winning 8 or 9 games, change from a position of strength. Rolling from one coach to the other is a recipe for mediocrity.

You have to understand the thought process around here now, it seems many fans just want to keep up the hire/fire debacle that has led us here. All in hopes of landing a great HC. All the while ignoring the fact that firing a coach after only 2 years will only hurt the chances of landing a proven winner.

Reactions: 1967vol
This problem is not difficult to decipher. No team can win in college football or the NFL with a mediocre QB. A "serviceable QB is simply not going to get it done. The Ryan Fitzpatrick journeymen type, the JG type, the Worley type of QB may win a few games but cant get a team over the hump.

Go back to 2000 and look at our QB"s. We lack having a consistent game changer at QB. The Dobbs or Tee Martin type of QB. Does not have to be a dual threat but someone with enough talent to change a game. Tyler Bray had the talent but lacked the head. Casey Clausen had tremendous help around him which helped him win some games. Ainge had some talent but not enough to produce a championship.

Yeah they can go 9-3, 10-2 and so on but they wont be able to beat UGA, Bama, & Clemson in the same year which is what it will take for UT to win a national championship.

When we get this kind of QB, you will see UT back. Even in our misery, we have had RB's, WR"s, DB's with talent. We have gotten players that could produce and make plays but we have always lacked the one piece you can't do without.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
You have to understand the thought process around here now, it seems many fans just want to keep up the hire/fire debacle that has led us here. All in hopes of landing a great HC. All the while ignoring the fact that firing a coach after only 2 years will only hurt the chances of landing a proven winner.

You’re right. By Saturday we’ll be on the Gruden rant again

Pruitt is going nowhere. The only way he possibly even might be fired is if we finish 2-10 or worse. And even then I still doubt it. Fulmer doesn't want to be paying out $10 million to a guy to go home. So yeah, those calling for his immediate firing are silly.

But the people who keep saying he's going to be the guy aren't much better. Not one person here thought we'd be 0-2 and anyone acting like they did is lying. The consenus was we'd see improvement and we were for sure a bowl team. Sure we technically still can but I'm pretty sure 2 of the 6 wins everyone thought we would get were Georgia St. and BYU.

So no, Pruitt isn't going anywhere for at least another season; and he also isn't remotely close to proving he is "the guy".

The 2019 football season is already horribly effed up and Tennessee will be very lucky to win 3 games. Tennessee wouldn't be any worse off with an interim head coach for the rest of the 2019 season.
Short sighted and certainly has little or no knowledge about History.

I don’t care if they fire Pruitt right now or keep him for 10 years. I just want to see an improved Tennessee football team that beats teams they are better than.

If that takes firing Pruitt.....do it
If that takes keeping him.....do it

Just heck show me something........anything.
this what I been saying right. If you anybody 5 years to build they will build but he getting 3.8 mill you cant be losing to the lesser teams of other conferences. GA State is at the bottom of the SUN-BELT people the bottom. That wasnt APP state we played. Theyve only had a program 10 years :(

OK, thrill us with your comprehension of reality. Here is mine; we wallow in mediocrity until John Adams announces he is retiring from KNS, and the Vol Network announces Bob Kesling is retiring. Both organizations find replacement. And without snarky commentary and bumbling boring jargon, not only is mood of the fan base lifted, but the program as well.

VN Store

Back