I still don't understand all the animosity toward Butch Jones

People “who were onto him from the outset” guessed right. They weren’t privy to any more knowledge than those that were excited about the recruiting energy and embrace of relationships with alumni and high school coaches. I don’t regret hoping he was the answer, so put me on the list and go get everybody else.

This is weak. Everyone “hoped” he was the answer, but assuming he is and drinking the Kool-Aid isn’t a necessary part of that

This is weak. Everyone “hoped” he was the answer, but assuming he is and drinking the Kool-Aid isn’t a necessary part of that
Define Kool-Aid drinking since you’re in the defining mood. Seems open ended. And to save you some time, I don’t regret my approach one damn bit. Right or wrong in the end as I may be in the end, my opinions aren’t crafted willy nilly and you’ve never influenced them...STRONG as you are. 😎

Define Kool-Aid drinking since you’re in the defining mood. Seems open ended. And to save you some time, I don’t regret my approach one damn bit. Right or wrong in the end as I may be in the end, my opinions aren’t crafted willy nilly and you’ve never influenced them...STRONG as you are. 😎

I didn't think you regretted your approach until you started making excuses for it like "I was just hoping" and "everyone who was right when I was wrong was just lucky"

I didn't think you regretted your approach until you started making excuses for it like "I was just hoping" and "everyone who was right when I was wrong was just lucky"
You see excuses when I’m being honest. I think you had a determined negative slant already on me...consistency on your history with me. I ended up wrong and people who declared him a failure from the outset weren’t armed with any more information than myself when forming their opinion. And I never stated your last quote, so you’re a fiction writer. 😉

Didn't Tennessee have any better options than Jones after Strong turned down the job in 2013? I thought Hart interviewed some other coaches in 2013.

Didn't Tennessee have any better options than Jones after Strong turned down the job in 2013? I thought Hart interviewed some other coaches in 2013.

jongruden.0.0.jpg

jon-gruden-tennessee-game.jpg

DMlzhDnX0AAdMMM.jpg

:cool:

I dont know about interviews but some names mentioned: Willie Taggart, Bobby Petrino, Kirby Smart, Jim Mora, Butch Davis

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think I'd rather have rolled with any of those than Butch.

Okay, maybe not Petrino because the motorcycle incident was pretty fresh.

Taggert would've been as much of a gamble as Butch Jones or Kirby at the time. He'd gotten WKU turned around and did so so at USF.

Kirby is a better coach than Butch, and probably would have recruited better, even tho he probably wouldn't have been able to recruit at the level he has at uga. He was a hot coordinator at the time.

Jim Mora ... I mean why not give it a shot at the time. I doubt it would've been worse than Butch. (edit - okay, so i forgot about ucla)

Speaking of Butch, Butch Davis is a pretty good coach ... as long as we could've stayed out of trouble.

I remember the morning when I heard that we were going to announce Butch Jones at a press conference as the new coach, I literally felt my stomach turn. I really tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, just because he was putting on the orange, but I never was able to do more than hope.

Sorry so long ... I'm bored ... It's Covid season.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think I'd rather have rolled with any of those than Butch.

Taggert would've been as much of a gamble as Butch Jones or Kirby at the time. He'd gotten WKU turned around and did so so at USF.

Kirby is a better coach than Butch, and probably would have recruited better, even tho he probably wouldn't have been able to recruit at the level he has at uga. He was a hot coordinator at the time.

Jim Mora ... I mean why not give it a shot at the time. I doubt it would've been worse than Butch. (edit - okay, so i forgot about ucla)

Speaking of Butch, Butch Davis is a pretty good coach ... as long as we could've stayed out of trouble.

I remember the morning when I heard that we were going to announce Butch Jones at a press conference as the new coach, I literally felt my stomach turn. I really tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, just because he was putting on the orange, but I never was able to do more than hope.

Yep hindsight Kirby was the best of the bunch. I am not sure we could've gotten him, though. We were in such a bad place we had to take a chance on a has been, like Butch Davis, or unproven like a Jones or Taggart type. Fedora turned us down. Too bad we couldn't have gotten a steal like Lincoln Riley while he was OC at ECU.

Reactions: sport3500
Yep hindsight Kirby was the best of the bunch. I am not sure we could've gotten him, though. We were in such a bad place we had to take a chance on a has been, like Butch Davis, or unproven like a Jones or Taggart type. Fedora turned us down. Too bad we couldn't have gotten a steal like Lincoln Riley while he was OC at ECU.
Hire an ASSISTANT from a mid-major? That would’ve sold on here. 😏

Reactions: Boca Vol

I would have taken Bobby Petrino, Bobby Bowden, Bobby Boucher or Bobby Finstock over that con man, trumpet blowing charlatan.

I would have taken Bobby Petrino, Bobby Bowden, Bobby Boucher or Bobby Finstock over that con man, trumpet blowing charlatan.
I looked back and there were some decent hires, namely Mark Stoops. Just looking at what he's done at KY, imagine what he could with our resources and tradition. Another one folks forget was Matt Rhule was hired at Temple that cycle.

It's hard for me to say I hold a grudge against a man for something that wasn't done to me personally. Butch was more of a used car salesman than an actual X's and O's coach.

His cartoon character approach was meant to provide cover for a guy that appeared to be led by motivational, data analysis and how to books more than feel and what is actually going on in the game. That is why his adjustments were typically puzzling.

There are numerous reasons he was just bad though I was hopeful in the early going that he could have long-term success here. I will point to 2 examples out of many.

1) Butch's 1st season in 2013 - after Justin Worley has a humbling experience at Oregon Butch decides to go with Nathan Peterman at #6 Florida. UT takes an early lead due to a Swafford interception return for a TD. They would have numerous chances to get a big cushion after Jeff Driskel struggles, but Peterman is absolutely dreadful. Peterman would go on to have several follie like drives even with UT in Florida's redzone. It wasn't until after Florida started to take advantage of UT's ineptitude and UT had gotten down big that Jones make a change back to Worley in the 3rd quarter. By then it was too late to comeback. Peterman would end the game 4-11 for 5 yards AND A BROKEN HAND, which Butch and his staff knew nothing about until after the debacle. I wondered about this guy after that. Muschamp would go on to mop the floor with Jones every time.

2) In 2016, Jones would lose off the roster for various reasons, Preston Williams, Danny O'brien, and Jalen Hurd in consecutive games. After losing 5-star Preston Williams, Jones brings an unheralded freshmen Josh Palmer and Brandon Johnson on the radio as an in your face we won't miss Williams publicity stunt. I knew then the guy was thin skinned and would try to sell anything.

I won't even go into the watering down expectations, quitting, saying he wanted to coach UT while on the field as Cincinnati coach, disrespecting players he recruited in order to get back at the admin and fans, etc. 🙂👍

People “who were onto him from the outset” guessed right. They weren’t privy to any more knowledge than those that were excited about the recruiting energy and embrace of relationships with alumni and high school coaches. I don’t regret hoping he was the answer, so put me on the list and go get everybody else.
It wasn't a guess for me. I wasn't against him either. I had just come to a point where I wanted to see positive proof before giving benefit of the doubt.

I did see things that bothered me and talked about them here. We had some arguments that do not need to be rehashed about some of those things.

One of the main things for me was his used car salesman schtick. He just wasn't "believable" to me as a coach or leader.

I looked back and there were some decent hires, namely Mark Stoops. Just looking at what he's done at KY, imagine what he could with our resources and tradition. Another one folks forget was Matt Rhule was hired at Temple that cycle.
Jones is what you get when the wrong people are doing the hiring... and sorting through the bargain bin to find their new coach.

It wasn't a guess for me. I wasn't against him either. I had just come to a point where I wanted to see positive proof before giving benefit of the doubt.

I did see things that bothered me and talked about them here. We had some arguments that do not need to be rehashed about some of those things.

One of the main things for me was his used car salesman schtick. He just wasn't "believable" to me as a coach or leader.
You had your own set of indicators...I remember. You weren’t privy to any INFORMATION or set of facts unavailable to the rest of us. Guessing, determined results...pick your poison.

Stoops won 2 games his first season...followed by 5 in each of the next two. How would that have played? He recruits well for that program...would he have been able to step it up for ours? Because it would’ve been vital for him to do so.

Go ahead and shoot me, but I just don't get it.
Yes, Butch was in over his head. Yes, his in-game decisions were often bad. And yes, his decisions lost us a few big games.
But ... But ... But he also got us back into the spotlight. We were ranked in the Top 10 and beat Georgia and Florida in 2016. Then 2017 happened and people forgot all that came before. I was glad to see Butch go, but I have no animosity toward the guy. He was just a transition guy. So why does everyone seem to despise him so much?
F722F0FE-68C7-423B-9F43-32596BB1942E.gif
Reason 1
His bs cliches

Reason 2
Had NFL talent e'erwhurr
4FC96305-51F0-4738-9C96-83B831B8E450.gif
Reason, and, Most Poignant Reason
Don't ever, EVER let me catch anybody wearing those colors. THE WAY HE DID US, talentless, then bled us like a stuck pig while interning for the devil.

393EB4EE-A161-49C5-ACF0-60AD35D0D62A.png
**** him.

VN Store

Back