I never shared the hate for Butch Jones as the other UT fans

He had to have an injury to realize Dobbs was the best QB on the roster

Had to have a departure to realize Kamara was the best RB on the roster

Changed S&C coaches more than he changed his socks.

Lied when he was trying to cover stuff up. Sometimes he just lied to be lying

Had the worst offense in the history of organized football. He has a zone read where the QB was never allowed to read. So every running play was a slow developing dive play.

Minus Dobbs he doesn't last nearly as long as he did

Disagree. I don't think Hurd was worse or better than Kamara. They were both good in their own way.

Hurd was on his way to obliterating the all time rushing record. Can't exactly say Kamara was playing behind a worse back.....

Disagree. I don't think Hurd was worse or better than Kamara. They were both good in their own way.

Hurd was on his way to obliterating the all time rushing record. Can't exactly say Kamara was playing behind a worse back.....
I'd take Kamara over Hurd any day of the week and the NFL would too.

Hurd was a very good back but the carries should have been 60/40 Kamara instead of 90/10 Hurd

I agree
and by the numbers UT used Kamara as many times his last year as New Orleans did in his first year there.

I'd take Kamara over Hurd any day of the week and the NFL would too.

Hurd was a very good back but the carries should have been 60/40 Kamara instead of 90/10 Hurd

Sure I'd take Kamara over Hurd in the NFL.

However, you can't point and say that playing Hurd more over Kamara caused us to lose games.....

Hurd was going to obliterate the all time rushing record. It wasn't like Kamara was sitting so we could play a chump over him.

9-4 with 11-2 (or better) talent

1. Always had excuses
2. Could not develop talent
3. Crashed the program when he didn’t have a QB to bail him out

Tennessee was riding high because of 2 bowl wins.......but should we have been scratching our heads because he went 9-4 with that talent?

Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

He actually beat Florida, Georgia 2x, South Carolina, and finished in the top 25 for two seasons. Granted Josh Dobbs was a HUGE part of that success but that 0-8 SEC finished was horrible. He definitely ended his career with a surprising thud. (I never expected Butch Jones to be fired until that 0-8 finished derailed everything).

However, Pruitt is making me wish we had retained Butch.

I feel that the turning point in Butch's career (and his biggest mistake) was the second 9-4 when we played South Carolina. Josh Dobbs was sick and he played him anyways. This ended up costing us the game and likely the SEC East. We didn't have enough depth to finish that season (we basically had the SEC East wrapped up at that point).

Butch without Josh Dobbs, is a sub-.500 coach whose offensive strategies didn't work in the SEC. His retention of Mahoney until his final season, and his continuation of recruiting undersized offensive linemen are an on-going factor in the issues we are experiencing this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Neyland
Nick Saban took Butch Jones, the former head coach at The University Of Tennessee and made him a offensive analyst. That should be all you need to know.

Know what? Nick Saban could care less about Butch Jones. He put him on the staff because Jimmy Sexton asked him to as a way to "park" him until he becomes somewhat marketable in the future, although in Jones' case … it may be never. He's done that before and will do it again.

Reactions: lifeVol
Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

He actually beat Florida, Georgia 2x, South Carolina, and finished in the top 25 for two seasons. Granted Josh Dobbs was a HUGE part of that success but that 0-8 SEC finished was horrible. He definitely ended his career with a surprising thud. (I never expected Butch Jones to be fired until that 0-8 finished derailed everything).

I feel that the turning point in Butch's career (and his biggest mistake) was the second 9-4 when we played South Carolina. Josh Dobbs was sick and he played him anyways. This ended up costing us the game and likely the SEC East. We didn't have enough depth to finish that season (we basically had the SEC East wrapped up at that point).
Not me, Butch is a huge reason we're in this situation.

Butch cared about talking the talk, and looking the part. Butch cared so much about image that he made sure to mimic General Neyland's iconic statue pose when Tennessee got its first big home win -- conspicuously so. People got all "gosh did you see that, he looked just like the General" online, but it was nothing more than another calculated bit of show for him. He thought he was smarter than the room, and he could oftentimes say the right things when pressed. He could not, however, win the right things when pressed.

Volunteer fans have really slipped over the years (thank you boy butch), we've gone from being a team to fear in the SEC, and willing to take All Comers, to longing for a coach that gave us a 4-8 record. This Nightmare must stop!!!!!!!!

It could be raining boobies outside and Butch would be the one guy to walk out, look up, and get hit in the face with a d-ck.

Reactions: I40flyer
If he has recruited a good one, surely he’d have him out there by now. We see programs across the country that seem to be able to get young qbs ready.
Well I agree with you on that. I don't know what Pruitts thinking on this one. I think not having the back-ups ready in the case JG goes down spells bad news. Then again, maybe not. Can't be any worse than having JG at the helm.

Reactions: thehill98
Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

You didn’t? Then you weren’t and still aren’t paying attention. Jones did a handful of good things with recruiting and he had a couple of good but disappointing seasons (at best)....but he destroyed the culture in the program and authored the worst season in school history in 2017.

You don’t have to “hate” him, but if you don’t recognize the damage that guy did to the program, something that Pruitt and a staff full of very good, proven coaches are all dealing with even now, then you look foolish and naive and that’s 100% on you.

Sure I'd take Kamara over Hurd in the NFL.

However, you can't point and say that playing Hurd more over Kamara caused us to lose games.....

Hurd was going to obliterate the all time rushing record. It wasn't like Kamara was sitting so we could play a chump over him.
He got 8 touches in the 2015 UF game. Ridiculous for a guy that averaged about 7.5 yards per touch for his career.

Hurd was going to break the record due to number of carries. Solid runner but prob not top 10 all time at UT.

Utilized properly, we'd be talking about Kamara like we do about Peyton.

Very similar to Marshall Faulk as he continues to show on Sundays.

Last edited:
Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

Good lord

Just imagine if we had unleashed Hurd as a receiving TE, or even lined him up wide.

And kept Kamara in at TB....good golly.....

Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

His first full recruiting class was promising. But look at how many highly rated players finished up somewhere else. I hoped he would be the real deal here. But I think most will agree; If any of our future coaches use the word, "Individual" more than once every two minutes, we are going to scream.

VN Store

Back