I never shared the hate for Butch Jones as the other UT fans

Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

He actually beat Florida, Georgia 2x, South Carolina, and finished in the top 25 for two seasons. Granted Josh Dobbs was a HUGE part of that success but that 0-8 SEC finished was horrible. He definitely ended his career with a surprising thud. (I never expected Butch Jones to be fired until that 0-8 finished derailed everything).

However, Pruitt is making me wish we had retained Butch.

I feel that the turning point in Butch's career (and his biggest mistake) was the second 9-4 when we played South Carolina. Josh Dobbs was sick and he played him anyways. This ended up costing us the game and likely the SEC East. We didn't have enough depth to finish that season (we basically had the SEC East wrapped up at that point).
Botch didn't win đź’©.
Josh Dobbs did.

I'm not down on Pruitt at this time, unless Mike Leach is available:) I think Pruitt is learning as a HC, and I also think he was handed some piss-poor personnel. That being said,.....

Stuff Pruitt can solve Now, and this is on Pruitt/staff.
1. Converting (Short yardage) - Needs a big back or needs to make adjustments. If BYU can stop them,....
2. Situational Awareness: End of 1st & 2nd half = terrible! Missed reads/assignments & blown coverage.

IMHO, stuff he will Not fix this year:
3. QB play - I believe Pruitt & staff really want this kid Bailey who enrolls January 1st. I think they are hesitant to do anything with the current Freshman, and will chalk them up as "not ready". Bailey will see a pathway to starting as a true freshman etc etc etc.

He had a pretty decent resume as a head coach before we hired him and he will get another chance. And I for one would not be surprised if he has success elsewhere. He's just not a top-tier SEC coach, IMO.
I think ^^^^ is pretty accurate. He was a alot better recruiter than developer of talent. Not starting Kamara was a head scratcher. IMO I would rate him a level above Pruitt.

Reactions: thehill98
Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

He actually beat Florida, Georgia 2x, South Carolina, and finished in the top 25 for two seasons. Granted Josh Dobbs was a HUGE part of that success but that 0-8 SEC finished was horrible. He definitely ended his career with a surprising thud. (I never expected Butch Jones to be fired until that 0-8 finished derailed everything).

I feel that the turning point in Butch's career (and his biggest mistake) was the second 9-4 when we played South Carolina. Josh Dobbs was sick and he played him anyways. This ended up costing us the game and likely the SEC East. We didn't have enough depth to finish that season (we basically had the SEC East wrapped up at that point).
Butch didn’t finish 2017. Currie fired him after he started 1-6. The interim finished 3-2...

I was also in the non-hating CBJ club. I did not think he was a great coach but he recruited basically the same rated kids as Pruitt. I don't see any better development from Pruitt. CJP has worse loses and actually seems to have the players less prepared. Jones lost the team for some reason and had to go or wait until the disgruntled players moved on. Pruitt's staff should be way better but I haven't seen it yet. Both are/were learning to be HCs at a major school. Completely different personalities but little difference in outcomes. I just hope Pruitt can win 9 games his 3rd and 4th years.

I was never comfortable with Butch's offense or the philosophy on that side of the ball. Even when Dobb's was running it, it didn't feel right. It was readily apparent in 2017 when Dobb's was gone, everything tanked again. It wasn't winning football in the SEC, and one that apparently only works with a strong dual threat QB.

I'm sure the intern is taking copious notes on how the top tier teams and conferences operate. He will get another chance somewhere. It'll be interesting to see what he will do differently, like ditch that offense, it's junk.

Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

Butch Jones was a terrible football coach that was able to sell some talented kids on coming to UT. He also benefited from an unusual number of legacy players.

Jones' turning point is when he took the job and thought he was going to revolutionize SEC football with his "system". Five years of poor development, stupidity, and underperformance of talent later... He went to be a GA for Bama.

Thank Butch Jones that JG is the "best" QB he left on the roster.... With a better QB, UT is 2-0 and would have blown both teams out by 3 scores.

Butch was good when he had Dobbs. If Pruitt has Dobbs, we walk away from last year with a couple more wins and we win our first two games this season. Dobbs made things happen

Is Butch the one that ran Trevor Lawrence off? Also Kamara, played here and their it seems for us, maybe more than I'm implying but Gee Whizzz.... Rookie of the Year as soon as he leaves us in the NFL? Dont spill Saban's coffee Butch

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Do you think Pruitt can coach these guys into good players with 126 practices?

He has had 2 Spring sessions at 15 practices each year. He has had 2 Fall practices at 20 sessions each year. He has had 14 weeks (4 practices each week) of in season practices. That is 126 practices + 2 summers of individual work outs. How many practices does it take to learn how to tackle or how to block, ect.

Butch should have been fired after year 3 with a embarrassing loss to Florida and blowing 17 point leads to Oklahoma and Arkansas

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Butch was a snake oil salesman. he Had an amazing athletic qb, that got him wins over UF and UGA and still couldn’t win the East. After that collapse it became clear to everyone, even the team he was too stuck in “his way” instead of doing what it took to win and that’s exactly why his last year went the way it did.

That’s also why we are where we are. We have another “system” coach when we need a coach that can take what he has and build a system around that. Tennessee isn’t gonna get the players Pruitt was used to at Bama UGA and FSU until he can win like they do and we can’t win by running a system that relies on top Talent when we have a roster full of mediocre talent and a few top talents.

Reactions: volbound1700
Butch worked for a very good coach and got a bump from him. Butch took over a terrible situation here and recruited his way out of it for a couple of years. Unfortunately for us, he wasn't able to coach his way out of a paper bag. I can't explain Pruitt, he doesn't appear to have any head coaching ability either and somehow is doing worse than Butch did early on.

Reactions: thehill98
Butch didn’t finish 2017. Currie fired him after he started 1-6. The interim finished 3-2...
I hate to be that guy, but this is wrong. He was fired after going 4-8. Hoke coached the last 2 games and lost them both. He has plenty of bad things without making up more.

4 things did Butch Jones in.

1. Clueless HC, was terrible at actual coaching.

2. Development. His staff was terrible at it.

3. Giving into players too often. MOST IMPORTANT EXAMPLE IS...Letting go of a good Strength coach (who had ours guys in great shape and conditioned in 2015. ) Because players thought it was too hard. So Butch losens up and look at 2016. Horrible conditioning and injuries everywhere.

4. Didn't truly understand what the expectations are at UT.

VN Store

Back