I never shared the hate for Butch Jones as the other UT fans

volbound1700

Here was his record:

5-7
7-6
9-4
9-4
4-8

He actually beat Florida, Georgia 2x, South Carolina, and finished in the top 25 for two seasons. Granted Josh Dobbs was a HUGE part of that success but that 0-8 SEC finished was horrible. He definitely ended his career with a surprising thud. (I never expected Butch Jones to be fired until that 0-8 finished derailed everything).

However, Pruitt is making me wish we had retained Butch.

I feel that the turning point in Butch's career (and his biggest mistake) was the second 9-4 when we played South Carolina. Josh Dobbs was sick and he played him anyways. This ended up costing us the game and likely the SEC East. We didn't have enough depth to finish that season (we basically had the SEC East wrapped up at that point).

giphy.gif

He was a snake oil salesman.

If he was such a great HC, he'd have another HC position right now.

He had a pretty decent resume as a head coach before we hired him and he will get another chance. And I for one would not be surprised if he has success elsewhere. He's just not a top-tier SEC coach, IMO.

The 2016 season is unforgivable. With decent coaching, that team would have been a contender. At the VERY LEAST that team should have won the east.

Butch took a team that was full of now NFL stars and barely beat a crappy UGA team, went to OT with App State, got throttled by Bama, and lost to Vandy and SC.

Butch was on track through Year 3.

He underachieved with that Year 4 team and never appeared to get them properly motivated. There was enough talent on that team to get to the SEC Championship Game and challenge for a playoff spot.

He looked like he quit on Year 5 before the season even started.

So...I was on board through Year 3...and ready for him to go after the Florida game in Year 5.

Butch nor Pruitt are good coaches no matter how you justify it.

Iā€™ve seen you say that Pruitt isnā€™t a good coach multiple times the past couple of weeks. Heck, Iā€™ve said it as well. But Iā€™ve tried to look a little deeper at the situation.

Do you really believe he doesnā€™t know how to coach?? Like everything heā€™s ever done has been a fluke?? I personally believe heā€™s a good coach but not a good HEAD coach. I donā€™t think he was as ready to carry that responsibility as he thought he was and were being forced to endure his OTJ training. Just my 2 cents. Just curious what you think. šŸ‘ŠšŸ¼

Iā€™ve seen you say that Pruitt isnā€™t a good coach multiple times the past couple of weeks. Heck, Iā€™ve said it as well. But Iā€™ve tried to look a little deeper at the situation.

Do you really believe he doesnā€™t know how to coach?? Like everything heā€™s ever done has been a fluke?? I personally believe heā€™s a good coach but not a good HEAD coach. I donā€™t think he was as ready to carry that responsibility as he thought he was and were being forced to endure his OTJ training. Just my 2 cents. Just curious what you think. šŸ‘ŠšŸ¼
I listened to some of his QB club talk from yesterday at Calhoun's. I think he will be fine.

I listened to some of his QB club talk from yesterday at Calhoun's. I think he will be fine.

He lost my confidence and support after the Ga St game. I think heā€™s over his head as a HC. Now, I still think heā€™s a good coach dealing with a crapload of stuff that he hasnā€™t figured out how to handle. I donā€™t know if heā€™ll get that time here either. I just hate that once again, we have to suffer through a HC that is learning on the job.

Reactions: EZE

VN Store

Back