I need to give Jasmine Powell her own thread

lvocd

Some of you may have noticed I have a special affinity for players who go hard after rebounds, and particularly guards who do it. I want to say how proud I am of Jasmine Powell because she has obviously made up her mind to be an amazing rebounder. It is NOT easy to, over and over again, expend the amount of energy it takes to run in from beyond the three-point line time trying to help the team by getting tough rebounds instead of just leaking back downcourt and hoping one of your teammates gets it.

And what I have noticed is that so many times Powell's tenacious board hunting has been successful at the perfect moments. Her timing to come up with a huge rebound is amazing, and she never seems to get tired.

I hope someone she knows reads this and passes this along to her:

THANK YOU, JASMINE, FOR BEING WILLING TO DO THE HARD STUFF! We see you!

Some of you may have noticed I have a special affinity for players who go hard after rebounds, and particularly guards who do it. I want to say how proud I am of Jasmine Powell because she has obviously made up her mind to be an amazing rebounder. It is NOT easy to, over and over again, expend the amount of energy it takes to run in from beyond the three-point line time trying to help the team by getting tough rebounds instead of just leaking back downcourt and hoping one of your teammates gets it.

And what I have noticed is that so many times Powell's tenacious board hunting has been successful at the perfect moments. Her timing to come up with a huge rebound is amazing, and she never seems to get tired.

Jaz was clearly in an adjustment mode last season (Destiny seems to be in that process right now). But JP looks so more comfortable and in charge this season. And yes, her hustle is off the charts. She is becoming a refuse to lose player.

Powell has been the most pleasant surprise on the team this year. Last year she was hampered by being in her head too much rather than being open to the flow of the game. The dramatic improvement in the mental aspects of the game for both Powell and Pucket suggests to me that they got the sports psychology help they needed between the seasons, whether formally or informally. In any case, Jasmine's immense effort on both sides of the floor and in rebounding are exactly what this teams needs given that it seems to lack defensive intensity so often and rebounding was a preseason concern. I think that it is a tribute to Kellie that Powell stuck around after such a disappointing year. I loved the warmth and positive attention that Kellie would give her last year when she came to the bench after playing no matter if she had made a mistake or did well. She apparently had an astute read of Powell in what she needed to come out of the funk.

Last edited:

It's call being a complete ball player.

This is true! Hustle can help overcome other deficiencies. Sadly we still haven't learned or figured out how to stop the dribble drive. Guards look like in a muck as they are driven by repeatedly.
As many have said, this is where we miss the Key from 2 yrs ago. Players are so good and so fast now, everyone gets blown by all over college bball, men and women. The difference is having that imposing rim protector when they get there.

Not getting a true center in the portal last spring is really hurting us. Not getting one from either high school or the portal this year is going to kill us. Literally, after Strip and Jill's Sr yr next season, we have not one post on the roster. Fatal blow.

This is true! Hustle can help overcome other deficiencies. Sadly we still haven't learned or figured out how to stop the dribble drive. Guards look like in a muck as they are driven by repeatedly.
Thought I typed elsewhere about a healthy Tamari Key could intimidate and discourage those willing to face a swat fest.

As many have said, this is where we miss the Key from 2 yrs ago. Players are so good and so fast now, everyone gets blown by all over college bball, men and women. The difference is having that imposing rim protector when they get there.

Not getting a true center in the portal last spring is really hurting us. Not getting one from either high school or the portal this year is going to kill us. Literally, after Strip and Jill's Sr yr next season, we have not one post on the roster. Fatal blow.
No need to worry. A 6-9 center with guard skills and a 40 inch vertical (now toiling in obscurity in the Siberian league) will be coming through the magic transfer portal.

Bottom line: To my well trained eye, Jasmine Powell has come out as a strong contender to be one of the top point guards in the country this season and it is because she both keeps her head under pressure AND is willing to go extra hard to get rebounds when most others who play her position aren't typically so doggedly focused.

TAKE NOTE, WNBA SCOUTS!!! Jasmine Powell will be willing and able to provide your teams several valuable possessions every time she's on the court. Just watch how she goes hard after rebounds, people! Players like JP who make up their minds to be great rebounders are the difference between reaching the WNBA playoffs and hoisting the championship trophy.

Powell is just now beginning to understand how good she can be, and will only get better in the next 2-5 years. She'll be one of the steals of the next draft, IMO.

Bottom line: To my well trained eye, Jasmine Powell has come out as a strong contender to be one of the top point guards in the country this season and it is because she both keeps her head under pressure AND is willing to go extra hard to get rebounds when most others who play her position aren't typically so doggedly focused.

TAKE NOTE, WNBA SCOUTS!!! Jasmine Powell will be willing and able to provide your teams several valuable possessions every time she's on the court. Just watch how she goes hard after rebounds, people! Players like JP who make up their minds to be great rebounders are the difference between reaching the WNBA playoffs and hoisting the championship trophy.

Powell is just now beginning to understand how good she can be, and will only get better in the next 2-5 years. She'll be one of the steals of the next draft, IMO.
Kellie and staff don’t seem to be getting that bump for draft picks that the Deacon gets…

From my perspective after watching all of the games so far, Powell has played the best at PG, by a wide margin. She is starting to show the play that earned her 2nd team All B1G a few years ago. I am not of any opinion yet on Wells at this level, way too early for that but there are natural questions right now which will be partially answered soon, after the big 4 game stretch vs ranked opponents.

Still flying my Jasmine Powell flag! 🧡
As you should, proudly. I loved how completly cool she was on that dagger 3.

Now we need JP, and Jewel and Destinee to build some consistency.

Saw that JP's Mom was there, so happy for both of them.

Did ya'll know JP Mom has run for Congress a couple of times. I would have voted for her! Sharp lady, longtime community worker.

Without RJ, our best 5 is

Powell
Wells
Spear
Puckett
Hollingshead

I am really impressed with Powell so far. She looks a lot faster than last year and more confident in her shot. She clearly has put in a ton of work this summer and fall.

VN Store

Back