I Need a New Laptop

VolStrom

He/Him/Gator Hater
I have been using Windows laptops for decades and I need a new one. I am currently using a Toshiba that is about 4 years old and (was) fairly higher end with a Intel Core 7 processor, 8 gigs of ram, Nvidia display driver, Harmon-Kardon speakers etc., you get the idea.
The video card died and I had to revert to the standard Intel video and it has sucked ever since. I bought a new Dell PC that I thought was equivalent but it has an unusable screen with hardly any view aspect and totally crappy speakers.
I'm currently thinking about getting a lower end Apple Macbook Pro or a higher end ASUS Zen 15. They are about the same price, anyone that would like to make the pros or cons about either one I'd appreciate.

All of the Apple Heads will tell you to get Apple. All Apple Haters will two you Apple sucks. All I use are Apple products

I’m an Apple guy and I hate the direction of their laptops of late.

Having said that, MacOS>>>>>Windows.

I’m an Apple guy and I hate the direction of their laptops of late.

Having said that, MacOS>>>>>Windows.
The keyboard or what? Their laptops are fantastic imo, but the recent keyboards have gotten a lot of hate. I'm not really a big fan of the Touch Bar either.

I have been using Windows laptops for decades and I need a new one. I am currently using a Toshiba that is about 4 years old and (was) fairly higher end with a Intel Core 7 processor, 8 gigs of ram, Nvidia display driver, Harmon-Kardon speakers etc., you get the idea.
The video card died and I had to revert to the standard Intel video and it has sucked ever since. I bought a new Dell PC that I thought was equivalent but it has an unusable screen with hardly any view aspect and totally crappy speakers.
I'm currently thinking about getting a lower end Apple Macbook Pro or a higher end ASUS Zen 15. They are about the same price, anyone that would like to make the pros or cons about either one I'd appreciate.
Which Dell did you buy?

I switched from a Toshiba Satellite to a MacBook, and I have no complaints outside of it only having Thunderbolt 3 connections only.

The keyboard or what? Their laptops are fantastic imo, but the recent keyboards have gotten a lot of hate. I'm not really a big fan of the Touch Bar either.

The things you mentioned plus taking away ports that are still useful like SD slot. And the magsafe charger.

If I was in the market I would still buy one over a Windows laptop.

I keep my mid-2009 15” MacBook Pro alive, featuring its ~90 seconds of battery life, although it’s done its last OS upgrade. I’d still pony up for another Mac if this one rolled over and died. Just my preference, not due to innate saintliness on the part of Apple, that’s for sure.

I do have to use Windows for a part time gig, and I have to admit that they can be handy at times. I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 330 last November or so, giving up memory for speed, and because the price was right. (I work through a VPN and nothing can be downloaded, so I don’t miss the memory.) It’s not used for killing aliens, so it has all I need. I reluctantly decided that I like Win10, although the baffling disappearance of common features had me foaming at the mouth for a while.

Other than Toshiba, here are the specs you need to look at when buying any computer at this point in time.

Intel i5 CPU
8GB or more of RAM
500GB SSD

Get those, and either Windows or Mac runs like a dream.

If you buy a spinning HDD in this day and age, don't complain when its slow.

Which Dell did you buy?

I bought a Dell Inspiron 5000, I don't remember the exact model, but it has 8 gigs of ram, an HD display (supposedly) and a 500 gig SSD drive. I got it out again today and the display gives me a headache compared to the old Toshiba. There is no contrast, the text looks blurry and it's not very bright. I looked all over about how to get it to look better but didn't have any luck.
I think I'm just going to spring for the Apple. I have an iPhone XR and it's been good so far and it replaced an iPhone 6+ which I had for 4 years or so without any problems. The only problem is I would really rather have a 15" screen, but my goodness they are in the $2400 range as opposed to a 13" at half that.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 5000, I don't remember the exact model, but it has 8 gigs of ram, an HD display (supposedly) and a 500 gig SSD drive. I got it out again today and the display gives me a headache compared to the old Toshiba. There is no contrast, the text looks blurry and it's not very bright. I looked all over about how to get it to look better but didn't have any luck.
I think I'm just going to spring for the Apple. I have an iPhone XR and it's been good so far and it replaced an iPhone 6+ which I had for 4 years or so without any problems. The only problem is I would really rather have a 15" screen, but my goodness they are in the $2400 range as opposed to a 13" at half that.
The Dell XPS line is more comparable to the Macbook. You might check them out. They are very nice machines if you're looking for a Windows laptop. The Microsoft Surface line has some nice options too with the Surface Book and Surface Laptop.

The Macbooks are solid, though, if you don't mind the price and the short key travel on the newer keyboards. The aluminum body and huge trackpad are unmatched imo.

I used to be a windows computer expert just from keeping it running, then I purchased an Apple. Now I send all of my time working on my real job. The iMac Pro is something to behold. Apple over-charges for their memory but they also make the memory easy to install yourself. Buy from a wholesaler like B&H Photo which saves the Sales Tax (free shipping), order with the minimum memory. Purchase a 3rd party memory upgrade again and load up for 1/3 of the cost.

Reactions: VolNExile
I've used PC's since they were running DOS and the first PC I used was an Apple IIc. I've always bought Windows PC's because that's what I was used to at work and I became pretty proficient at their underpinnings.
Sounds like everyone that uses Apple products likes them so I think that's the route I'll go. Since no one ever complained about buying a better computer I might as well break down and buy the 15" while I'm at it. Can you put a larger hard drive in a Mac or are you stuck with what you bought initially?

I've used PC's since they were running DOS and the first PC I used was an Apple IIc. I've always bought Windows PC's because that's what I was used to at work and I became pretty proficient at their underpinnings.
Sounds like everyone that uses Apple products likes them so I think that's the route I'll go. Since no one ever complained about buying a better computer I might as well break down and buy the 15" while I'm at it. Can you put a larger hard drive in a Mac or are you stuck with what you bought initially?

External SSD is the best way to go. You can also run windows on any Mac laptop, or run both at the same time if that helps.

VN Store

Back