I loathe uk fans.

Not mad about the overrated chants. We’ve dished it out, now we have to take it. The truth is, we were overrated at #1 and our play showed it. Let them talk for now, the good news is we have another chance in 12 days to shut them up. And I think our team will come back more hungry and motivated to get the job done.

Exactly. I hope we seeth over our putrid performance and unleash hell on 03.02. Don't think it was smart of their fans to start the overrated chant considering they still have to come to TBA.

You can’t beat a team 27 straight years and expect to call them a rival in that sport.

Rival? Eh, not by the conventional definition.

Hated? Yes. Especially farther south, and older fans maybe too. Most of the people my age and younger don't really hate UT, just sad that we suck so much against them.

Not many schools are on a UK's hate list outside the usual suspects in basketball.

Now I'm wondering if they ever beat us 27 straight years in basketball. Wins at Rupp have been rare but we have won enough at home that I doubt they ever had such a streak.

Not a chance. And we are 4-4 in the last 8 in the only sport they care about.

i'm never scared of KY in football.

and these days i'm not overly worried about them in bball either. doesn't mean we're dominating or anything, but lately when we've played UK in bball, we've competed favorably, and won our fair share of games. swept them last year, in the regular season and they've now won 2 in a row.....i'd call that, at least recently, a competitive rivalry. and at least for now, there's not really any doubt who the two best teams in the league are.

so get used to it. i expect UT/UK to be big games at this point. and i would say we should probably get ready to play them twice more this season.

i hate losing, but it's a good thing that game matters so much now. the challenge is to make sure it stays that way.

I've never cared too much for Coach Cal but I thought that was a classy and respectful move to try and shut down the overrated chants. He knows we aren't overrated and I was surprised he cared enough to say something.
Same here. I gained a lot of respect for him. I also was one that said for a long time that Cal wasn't a good x's and o's coach. I've let my hate for him at Memphis and UK blind me in that aspect. He had a solid gameplan against us and definitely out-coached us.

I've never cared too much for Coach Cal but I thought that was a classy and respectful move to try and shut down the overrated chants. He knows we aren't overrated and I was surprised he cared enough to say something.
FWIW, he also said we were still the #1 team after the game. Maybe some ulterior motives there, but it also could be because he meant it. I choose the latter.

Reactions: overseasorange2
You learn to especially loathe Kentucky fans when you live and work among them and are now reminded on an hourly basis of the thrashing your team was given by them....

and yet I'm still marrying one this Saturday. What the heck is wrong with me?!

Same here. I gained a lot of respect for him. I also was one that said for a long time that Cal wasn't a good x's and o's coach. I've let my hate for him at Memphis and UK blind me in that aspect. He had a solid gameplan against us and definitely out-coached us.
He's obviously a good coach. He has to teach one and dones how to play together-- and they come together about mid season getting ready for the tournament. I love coach Barnes and wouldn't trade him, but certainly not going to throw shade at Cal, who has been successful everywhere he's been.

I'm so very proud of my team. Yes, we got hammered for many reasons, however we have had an excellent, record breaking season and it will continue to be awesome. We had a very off night but the overrated chant oh my that sent me into a rage. I know it's a sport and all but that was just not cool. I didn't expect class from uk because they have none. I have tickets to the uk game March 2nd and I cannot wait. I'm so looking forward to it because I am very confident we will have our revenge. Go Vols!

And show out just as the KY, GA, LSU, FLA, SC, Vandy and any other home standing fans do. It's their privilege to act like kids, as many of them are and the rest wish they were...

My brother lives in Louisville, and he says they're the absolute worst. The basketball equivalent of bama football fans. I fully expect the rematch to go to the good guys. I won't take anything away from UK, but that was the worst game we've played all year, and no way we miss that many open looks next time.

This is so true. Tennessee fans need to wake up and realize that Kentucky is probably our biggest rival when it comes to all sports. Yes we dominate them in football and they hold a large advantage against us in basketball, but we really are made for each other as sports rivals. The basketball rivalry is starting to come back into the form it always enjoyed when Ray Mears, Don Devoe, and to a slightly lesser extent, Bruce Pearl, were our coaches. If Kentucky holds to form in football and continues improving, look out. We just might have an all-sports rivalry on our hands.

Ky - Tenn. may be a natural but only in the eyes of east Tennesseans. We west of say Crossville and south of Dayton likely see someone else as "the" rival".

My brother lives in Louisville, and he says they're the absolute worst. The basketball equivalent of bama football fans. I fully expect the rematch to go to the good guys. I won't take anything away from UK, but that was the worst game we've played all year, and no way we miss that many open looks next time.
If he thinks Louisville is bad, he should try to live in, or around Lexington. They're unbearable.

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
If he thinks Louisville is bad, he should try to live in, or around Lexington. They're unbearable.
Yeah I don't think outsiders realize how strange Lexington is...Ppl will literally start chanting 'Cats cats cats' inside sit-down restaurants if someone wearing orange walks in (happened on numerous occasions). When 'Wagon Wheel' is played, they all scream **** between the line Johnson city & Tennessee. I've lived in Lex for 7 years and there is no doubt which team/state/color they hate most.

Reactions: Stoked
I've heard Cal and CRB are good friends and what he did was out of respect for that friendship. I'm sure that he also realized that the tables could be turned on March 2, as UK played their best game of the season on Saturday.

Never been a big fan of Cal, but he has always been gracious to Tennessee in victory or defeat. Kentucky was well prepared for the Tennessee game. That being said the Cats are going to be in trouble when they come to Knoxville.

Yeah I don't think outsiders realize how strange Lexington is...Ppl will literally start chanting 'Cats cats cats' inside sit-down restaurants if someone wearing orange walks in (happened on numerous occasions). When 'Wagon Wheel' is played, they all scream **** between the line Johnson city & Tennessee. I've lived in Lex for 7 years and there is no doubt which team/state/color they hate most.

Speaking of wagon wheel....
Does it bother anyone else that they say “heading west from the Cumberland Gap to Johnson City Tennessee?”

I’m all for good rivalry, the reason I personally have a disdain for Kentucky fans is because they seem to truly hate UT and their fans... not just in a sports way, they paint the university of Tennessee, it’s fans and the state of Tennessee as this awful thing. I get sports rivalries, heck I enjoy them, but for whatever reason Kentucky fans just take it to far on a personal level.

I’ve lurked in other teams message boards, and honestly the way we get talked about by EVERYONE in all sports you would think we pissed in everyone’s cereal.

i'm never scared of KY in football.

and these days i'm not overly worried about them in bball either. doesn't mean we're dominating or anything, but lately when we've played UK in bball, we've competed favorably, and won our fair share of games. swept them last year, in the regular season and they've now won 2 in a row.....i'd call that, at least recently, a competitive rivalry. and at least for now, there's not really any doubt who the two best teams in the league are.

so get used to it. i expect UT/UK to be big games at this point. and i would say we should probably get ready to play them twice more this season.

i hate losing, but it's a good thing that game matters so much now. the challenge is to make sure it stays that way.
It's been a nice rivalry going back to 2013. We are 5-7 against them going back that far, which is pretty damn good considering they've been the much better program since 2013.

Reactions: jakez4ut
For me personally, UK is the one I most enjoy UT winning against. I was born in Louisville but spent a lot of time in Tennessee during my childhood prior to going to UT. For some reason as a child, I latched on to UT as my favorite even though I was growing up in a city where the fan base was divided between UL and UK. I don't remember this incident but my dad told me that when he took me to get a haircut, someone in the barber shop asked me who was my favorite school, expecting to hear either UK or UL. I said Tennessee. My dad said there were strange looks around the barber shop and one man said he was raising a strange kid.

Not in association with sporting events, I have stories of returning to visit my parents in Kentucky while in school at UT of having UK students, seeing the UT decal on my back window, pulling in front of me on I-64 between Lexington and Louisville and slowing down to a crawl and even one swerving toward me from the left lane while I was in the right forcing me to go off onto the shoulder. I was at UT during the Ernie & Bernie era that likely fueled that attention even when it wasn't basketball season.

But it is the basketball Wildcats that are untouchable from their perspective. Mostly UK fans approach a basketball game as an upcoming win and are shocked when it doesn't happen. Just Saturday night, I had a cousin, 69 years old, who had never contacted me in all the years I was at UT or since about UK/UT sports made sure I knew that she was celebrating beating #1.

The UK fan hate is palpable. It may have lessened recently but Barnes is starting to make them take notice once again. Be assured any UK fan who knows me knows who has beaten them more times than anybody else, even if the margin is lopsided to their favor, 153-71.

VN Store

Back