I Got A Question?

checkerboard_charly

maybe this is dumb, but here goes.

All this talk about getting a coach from a big school is great, right? i have heard knight-texas tech, barnes-texas, prosser-wake. among others.

now why in the world would these come want to come to a school, whose mens b-ball team is mediocre. and has been for a very long time.

these guys all were and always are in the tournament. hell, knight has a pretty easy road to the final four if they stay focused. texas is always good. and wake was a top 5 team this year.

i just dont get what it is that ut has to offer as far as mens b-ball. let me know what it is.

u guys share ur thoughts and tell me why they should leave top 25 programs for a bottom of the pile program, who changes coaches like they change their underwear.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 7:59 PM
i just dont get what it is that ut has to offer as far as mens b-ball. let me know what it is.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

texas and wake have money just like us.

hell, texas is a huge school GA.

and i havent heard any of these coaches actually say "hey i would like to coach there" its just rumors.

right?

I agree with you about Texas, but I'm not sure Wake is in the big money category. That's the same school that lost Dave Odom to South Carolina after he averaged 20 wins a year for over a decade.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 8:59 PM
maybe this is dumb, but here goes.

All this talk about getting a coach from a big school is great, right? i have heard knight-texas tech, barnes-texas, prosser-wake. among others.

now why in the world would these come want to come to a school, whose mens b-ball team is mediocre. and has been for a very long time.

these guys all were and always are in the tournament. hell, knight has a pretty easy road to the final four if they stay focused. texas is always good. and wake was a top 5 team this year.

u guys share ur thoughts and tell me why they should leave top 25 programs for a bottom of the pile program, who changes coaches like they change their underwear.

What Ut has to offer is that there's room to build a darn good basketball school, but with mediocre coaches, average recruiting, and overall an under-acheiving school.

Bob Knight went from IU to Texas Tech, and Texas Tech was a garbage team before he came there. It;s not just about being a top-tier school, it's what they like about the University and what it has to offer.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 9:08 PM
yeah but we havent won since we had bernard freaking king. that has been 30 years.lol.

can they be saved?

May not be easy, but with the right coaching it can be done. There's no reason for the men's bball team to not be a tournament team, the pieces need to come in place to make it happen and it starts with the coach.

Last 30 years since TN won? I will have to disagree with that one. If you remember we had a decent run in the mid to late 90's which included talent from our own state. Harris, Slay, Yarbrough, Wharton, Henderson. Just naming a few there. UT should have a top 25 program year in and out with the abundance of talent we have in our own state. I personally had the opportunity to play high school hoops against many of the guys named above and can attest to the level of talent in TN high school hoops. I felt like the problem with Buzz Peterson was his evaluation of talent. Too many kids in state wind up playing at other big time schools. An example would be the two kids from TN that are currently playing at Florida. If TN could just bring our in state talent to Knoxville I believe we would see a different product on the court. TN facilities are second to know one. To me, there is no excuse to not be a top 25 program every year. With all this being said, I believe if you bring in a coach such as Knight, or Lutz you will see a different outcome in March.
Just my thoughts on this subject, I love the game of basketball and I truly hope TN will make a smart decision to bring a top notch coach to Rocky Top.

i want us to be good to, but its just like we try to lose. we never ever play with passion. when we had slay, crump, harris, and yarborough we underachieved big time.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 8:46 PM
i want us to be good to, but its just like we try to lose. we never ever play with passion. when we had slay, crump, harris, and yarborough we underachieved big time.

Truly . . . The longest night of my life was at the SC game Slay's senior year in Columbia. We lost by 26 and I had to sit on the front row of the student section?!?! :blink:

Originally posted by GAVol+Mar 21, 2005 9:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GAVol @ Mar 21, 2005 9:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 8:46 PM

Truly . . . The longest night of my life was at the SC game Slay&#39;s senior year in Columbia. We lost by 26 and I had to sit on the front row of the student section?&#33;?&#33; :blink: [/quote]
:disappointed: ouch.

cant beleive we didnt win big with all those guys.

but remember how either harris was shooting good and we won, or he was off we would lose. we totally revolved around his performance.

that is what we need i think.....i really good leader.

someone like raymond felton.. withour felton unc wouldnt be s***. and i love the tar heels, but he is the glue that keeps them together.

Bob Knight - Texas Tech President and Knight do not get along and the AD that brought him there is talking retirement.
Prosser - Money and the fact at best he is at what the state considers the 3rd or 4th best program.
Barnes - rumor is he&#39;s not happy with Texas and he and his wife being from western NC he is look to get back close to home. UVA job may be more inticing

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 9:36 PM
cant beleive we didnt win big with all those guys.

but remember how either harris was shooting good and we won, or he was off we would lose. we totally revolved around his performance.

that is what we need i think.....i really good leader.

someone like raymond felton.. withour felton unc wouldnt be s***. and i love the tar heels, but he is the glue that keeps them together.

First, Tony Harris was the reason we underachieved and JG let him play like that. There was too much talent on that team to let a guy like Harris control their destiny. I was never impressed w/ him and think that a decent PG could have done wonders for that team. He reminded me of an early Allen Iverson without the jumpshot.

As for coming to UT as a coach, most of these guys have huge egos and believe that success will follow them wherever they go. UT&#39;s biggest selling point could be that we are that bad right now. These big name coaches want to walk in and "resurrect" a down program. With the combo of our huge name and our recent failures, this could be the perfect place for a coach to come and build his legacy.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Mar 21, 2005 8:04 PM
texas and wake have money just like us.

hell, texas is a huge school GA.

and i havent heard any of these coaches actually say "hey i would like to coach there" its just rumors.

right?

Do you really think WF has that much money? It is not a big school. We could easily pay more than them. They&#39;re not like Duke and turn out a bunch of nerds that make big bucks to support the program. I could be wrong.

For what it&#39;s worth Hamilton has ties to WF.

well they definetly have a better b-ball team than us. by far. and the acc generates plenty of b-ball money. our money comes from football.

and there is just more money in football.

i think this is a hell of a fair question and we all need to realize the "REAL" image of our hoops program. Not good.

I think the one of the main problems our program faces is public perception. The national media don&#39;t understand the Green situation and misrepresent it publically. They play up the fact that we have had a revolving door of coaches when none have really fit. I actually think O&#39;Neil was the best hire we had. Anyway, we have all the resources to be successful. We have a talent pool in state that is very strong. We have facilities and money. We have a donor base that will support just about anything. We just need a coach that can put it all together. Our problem is having ones that were strong in some areas, but severely lacking in others.

VN Store

Back