I Formation (rumor)

Every single time they've lined up in that type of formation it's resulted in a successful play, makes no sense to continue to run out of that formation.

If they just put anyone in at FB, then defenses should pick up quickly on the fact that the other back is never getting the ball and ignore him.

To make it work the defense has to respect all three backs in the backfield as being options. If only 2 are options, might as well use something different.

The I formation is about the alignment. It hasn't been about fooling them every now and then with a fullback since the 80s. No one quaked in their shoes worrying about Will Bartholomew getting a carry. And the majority of I formations have pro style QBs so that nixes the "three backs in the backfield as being options" theory. Sounds like you're talking more about the spread.

Reactions: 2 people
would someone pls tell me what "the Pistol" formation is? I thought it was Bob Kesling trying to be cute. If the I works, don't run Hurd up the middle on the 1st play from scrimmage on the 1st series every time.

When Kaepernick was at Nevada that coach pretty much put the pistol on the map.

Personally I think we should run every play out of the Michigan I formation. Run to line of scrimmage and snap before defense can prepare.

To go along with this, how about having our o-line actually fire off the ball and drive. This zone blocking scheme is way too passive.

Reactions: 6 people
I wonder if our coaches would change things up with what they saw from Bama and a mobile qb? You need to always be improving. Just wonder if it sparked some creative thought

The "I" is what you run when your line sucks. Simple blocking schemes and ,hopefully, no more delayed handoffs.

I like throwing in the delayed handoff every now and then, the problem is they do not know how to block properly and/or we tip our hand to certain plays.

would someone pls tell me what "the Pistol" formation is? I thought it was Bob Kesling trying to be cute. If the I works, don't run Hurd up the middle on the 1st play from scrimmage on the 1st series every time.

NUMBER1VOLFAN should know what "the pistol" formation is .. just saying

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder if our coaches would change things up with what they saw from Bama and a mobile qb? You need to always be improving. Just wonder if it sparked some creative thought

Alabama didn't run a single pay that we don't have in the playbook already.

Heard a stat today that Alabama had run zone read 41 times the past 3 weeks... for 300+ yards.

Here..

The pistol offense is an American football formation and strategy partially developed by Chris Ault in 2005 while he was head coach at the University of Nevada. It is a hybrid of the traditional shotgun and single back offenses.[1] In the pistol offense, also commonly referred to as the "pistol formation", the quarterback lines up four yards behind the center, which is much closer than the seven-yard setback in a traditional shotgun formation. The running back then lines up three yards directly behind the quarterback, which is in contrast to the shotgun, where they are beside each other. It is argued that the position of the quarterback in the pistol formation strikes an advantageous compromise: the quarterback is close enough to the line of scrimmage to be able to read the defense, as with run situation sets such as the I formation, but far enough back to give him extra time and a better vision of the field for passing plays, as in the shotgun.[2] The pistol formation is thus very versatile, particularly if the quarterback himself is a threat to run the ball, which makes it difficult for the defense to correctly anticipate the play.[3] This flexibility is enhanced by the Read Option, where the quarterback reacts to the response of the defensive players to the snap, and makes a rapid decision whether to hand off the ball to the running back, keep it and complete a pass to a downfield receiver, or keep it and run himself.

Reactions: 1 person

That's what CBJ calls the "maturation" process haha.

VN Store

Back