I didn't realize it was this bad...

We did beat Vandy and USC with Beldar as our coach...and JG at QB
Pitt is actually a better team imo than both of them.
I watched their spring game. They have some nice looking pieces. Especially at RB.

(5 auto wins with our new staff)
Bowling Green
South Alabama
Vandy
USCjr
Tenn TECH

(2 Slightly favored)
Pitt
Kentucky (yes we are)

(2 swing games)
Mizzou
Ole Miss

(3 underdog games)
UGA
UF
Bama

anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3
Don't think we'll be favored against Kentucky. I never thought I would type those words, but here we are.

We were elite during the Neyland era and the first 6-8 years of PF so most of the history we were not elite. If you go 20+ years with out being elite then you do not have an elite program.

Unfortunately I agree. In 30+ years Majors and Fulmer combined for 5 SEC titles with one of Johnny's coming with UF on probation and another was a shared title.

So, unless I'm missing something, in 50+ years we've had three clear cut SEC titles and two iffy ones.

We did beat Vandy and USC with Beldar as our coach...and JG at QB
Pitt is actually a better team imo than both of them.
I watched their spring game. They have some nice looking pieces. Especially at RB.

Bowling Green
South Alabama
Vandy
USCjr
Tenn TECH

(2 Slightly favored)
Pitt
Kentucky (yes we are)

(2 swing games)
Mizzou
Ole Miss

(3 underdog games)
UGA
UF
Bama

anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3
As of today I would not place a bet that Vandy and USCjr will be automatic wins.

iu

Unfortunately I agree. In 30+ years Majors and Fulmer combined for 5 SEC titles with one of Johnny's coming with UF on probation and another was a shared title.

So, unless I'm missing something, in 50+ years we've had three clear cut SEC titles and two iffy ones.
A shared title is still a title and Florida was on probation in 85 because they cheated so I shed no tears for that title which we proved we deserved by smacking Miami in the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: knox73 and VolinMC
Bowling Green
South Alabama
Vandy
USCjr
Tenn TECH

(2 Slightly favored)
Pitt
Kentucky (yes we are)

(2 swing games)
Mizzou
Ole Miss

(3 underdog games)
UGA
UF
Bama

anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3
I agree. Even with Pruitt, Chaney, Weinke, Friend, no DL Coach, and JG, we would still have 4 definite wins, 3 slightly favored, 2 swing and 3 underdog. I moved USCjr to slightly favored. The 4 definite wins are against really bad teams. Go 2-1 in slightly favored games and we are already at 6 wins. 1-1 in swing games and we’re at a 7 win season and a better bowl game. Sure, lack of depth will show against the big 3, but we could bring 40 players and beat 4 of those teams easily. 6 wins next year isn’t really a big step forward. I think we gotta get to 7 before we talk about things turning around for us.

The worst part for me is watching this ESPN coverage. UT is making about as many appearances as any team. Only problem is we are playing the Washington Generals for every opponent player's highlight video. Pruitt made a fortune for a lot of SEC players.
When amari Rodgers got drafted, they had a whole segment about Tee Martin and gave the Vols some good air time mentioning them beating Florida and Florida state that year

While you're at it Mr Negative...
Did you know that 6 Vols in that span that weren't drafted are now starters solid NFL Contributors?
Tuttle (Saints) - Starter
Phillips (Jets) Rotation starter
Bituli (Panthers) rotation
Callaway (Saints) rotation
J Johnson )Pats) rotation
Warrior (Ravens) 3rd

by Tennessee standards that is still not good enough. But the reality is Vols are still getting into the NFL.
Tennessee is down. Why do YOU go out of your way to make it seem worst than it is??
What satisfaction do you get from that???!

2018 class Alone (7 players) (yeah I noticed you left them out for some "reason")
- John Kelly (Rams) active roster
- Gaulden (Panthers) backup
- Vickers (Raiders) backup
- Mosley (49ers) rotation starter
- E Wolfe (Saints) backup
- K Mac (Bengals) Backup
- AJ Johnson ( Broncos) Starter

So counting Jennings- The Tennessee Volunteers have put 14 players in the NFL the past 4 years so far...
You are counting guys on the practice squad- many have not played a snap in a game.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
A shared title is still a title and Florida was on probation in 85 because they cheated so I shed no tears for that title which we proved we deserved by smacking Miami in the Sugar Bowl.
So, 50 years, 5 titles, one shared and one stripped from UF. I still don't consider that an elite half century. Certainly some very strong stretches but also underachieving stretches by both coaches.

I think it’s mostly an indication of how bad the development and S/C were under Butch. We’ve had several guys go on to become useful players as UDFA in recent years that should have been drafted.
I am sure other teams in the SEC have also had successful UDFA during this time as well as getting guys drafted.

I agree. Even with Pruitt, Chaney, Weinke, Friend, no DL Coach, and JG, we would still have 4 definite wins, 3 slightly favored, 2 swing and 3 underdog. I moved USCjr to slightly favored. The 4 definite wins are against really bad teams. Go 2-1 in slightly favored games and we are already at 6 wins. 1-1 in swing games and we’re at a 7 win season and a better bowl game. Sure, lack of depth will show against the big 3, but we could bring 40 players and beat 4 of those teams easily. 6 wins next year isn’t really a big step forward. I think we gotta get to 7 before we talk about things turning around for us.

Georgia State says "Hold my beer."

Did you know that 6 Vols in that span that weren't drafted are now starters solid NFL Contributors?
Warrior (Ravens) 3rd

by Tennessee standards that is still not good enough. But the reality is Vols are still getting into the NFL.
Tennessee is down. Why do YOU go out of your way to make it seem worst than it is??

2018 class Alone (7 players) (yeah I noticed you left them out for some "reason")
- K Mac (Bengals) Backup

So counting Jennings- The Tennessee Volunteers have put 14 players in the NFL the past 4 years so far...
Thats about how many wins we have in 4 years.

Warrior (Ravens) 3rd

- K Mac (Bengals) Backup

Recruits only see 4 players drafted.

Majors was the last head coach with a solid developmental record.

Fulmer just tried to out recruit everyone and win on talent.

Kiffin could have been a solid developmental coach if he had stayed at Tennessee long term.

Wish all our VFL stars in the NFL didn't pull highlights from VHS tape. Pipeline is broken. Feel bad for Trey, think he'd have fared better if he came out LY.
1619957845677.jpeg

Kiffin could have been a solid developmental coach if he had stayed at Tennessee long term.

This 👆🏻 all day long!

Had it not been for Majors, we very well may have never been at that high of a level.

Fulmer rode his and the program coattails until the other programs caught up with coaches, and in facilities.

Had Kiffin stayed we would have been much better. I don’t know if we would have been elite as Bama and Clemson but top 10. He had the coaches in place and proved the ability to get the top recruits.

SEC's past 3 years (2019, 2020, 2021) total NFL Draft picks:

Bama: 29
LSU: 24
Georgia: 23
Florida: 19
Auburn: 15
Texas AM: 13
Kentucky: 13
Miss State: 12
South Carolina: 11
Missouri: 10
Ole Miss: 8
Arkansas: 6
Vanderbilt: 4
Tennessee: 4

-Finished, edited through Round 7
Testimonial to our coaches not being able to develop players and/or our inability to recognize true talent on the recruiting trail. In any case, our last two coaches really damaged the program long term. :mad:

Wow. The Important take-away is, YOU HAVE TO RECRUIT BLUE CHIP PLAYERS to be a Top 5 SEC team. If we don’t, we’ll remain everybody else’s punching bag... The top teams shown here are the best recruiters (or best cheaters). Of course, our last coach was a BAD Cheater. 🙄 Heupel and staff have their work cut out for them. Go VOLS!

Last edited:

This is the hard truth but if Heupel doesn't "turn it around" in 2-3 years..... many here will be calling for his head.

A recruiting pipeline takes time to establish. A player development program takes time once you've established SEC quality recruiting.

We're going to have to invest time, real time, in allowing a coach to be "long term" and provide a stable program to recruit to. Right now, recruits are going to hear from their coaches: Great school but you need to understand your recruiting coaches probably won't be there long enough to develop you before a new staff with new ideas comes along.

That's not a selling point for recruiting and contributes to why development lags, wins aren't there, and guys aren't getting to the next level like they should.

Had Kiffin stayed we would have been much better. I don’t know if we would have been elite as Bama and Clemson but top 10. He had the coaches in place and proved the ability to get the top recruits.
We’d probably still just be right where we are. Kiffin was only 33 when we hired him. He was too young, immature, entitled and spoiled to not have done something stupid to screw up the program along the way. Oh wait - he took only a year to do that.

Unfortunately some of the fans will say that Heupel needs to be fired this season if he loses to Kentucky which is a really good possibility sadly.

So, 50 years, 5 titles, one shared and one stripped from UF. I still don't consider that an elite half century. Certainly some very strong stretches but also underachieving stretches by both coaches.

UF was on probation in both '85 and '90. UF actually won the SEC in '90 with a 6-1 record compared to UT's 5-1-1 record.

VN Store

Back